Proposal: MTL - BUF

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
Habs: JJ Peterka

Sabres: Arber Xhekaj + 2024 1st

Buffalo has a surplus of top 6 forwards (Savoie, Benson, Quinn, Skinner, Tuch) - they deal from that position.
Montreal has a log jam on D (Reinbacher, Guhle, Hutson, Matheson, Barron, Engstrom, Struble, Mailloux) and deal from that position.

Buffalo acquires a mean, solid D in Arber Xhekaj + the Habs 2024 1st (projected 6-9th overall)
Montreal acquires a goal-scoring top 6 winger ready to plug and play on the 2nd line next to Kirby Dach next year

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
There is reason to believe some teams offered up to a late first for Xhekaj, so this is like giving a 5th and a 25th overall for a not-that-impressive smallish winger.

I'd pass, as a Habs fan.
calling him a "not-that-impressive smallish winger" tells me you've never watched him play.

1. He's a gamer that's always involved in the play and a top notch goal scorer already at 22 years old.

2. He's 5'11 - 195 lbs - stocky. and there is NOTHING small about his game. Actually has a really high amount of grit and flair for the dramatic for a top 6 winger.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Interesting idea. I don't know if Buffalo would be open to it since they need guys to be start hitting their stride - which Peterka and his 17 ESG thus far is certainly showing toward - rather than trying to get even more futures. The pick isn't all that interesting, it's just perpetually waiting for tomorrow.

I like Xhekaj, but not for Peterka.

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
Interesting idea. I don't know if Buffalo would be open to it since they need guys to be start hitting their stride - which Peterka and his 17 ESG thus far is certainly showing toward - rather than trying to get even more futures. The pick isn't all that interesting, it's just perpetually waiting for tomorrow.

I like Xhekaj, but not for Peterka.
The idea was Buffalo acquiring Xhekaj and using the 2024 1st (6-9th overall) as a trade chip to acquire another player as well as part of another package i.e. 2024 1st + Savoie for Guentzel

so they trade Peterka and Savoie and receive Xhekaj and Guentzel

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The idea was Buffalo acquiring Xhekaj and using the 2024 1st (6-9th overall) as a trade chip to acquire another player as well as part of another package i.e. 2024 1st + Savoie for Guentzel

Eh, I'd rather keep Peterka. If you want to talk about something like Rosen or Savoie for Xhekaj and a pick, I'm sure that would be more interesting. Like I said, JJ's just hitting his stride and they need more of that, not less.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
There is levels to this game and peterka isn’t even close to a top 5 ish pick level.

Eh, I'd rather keep Peterka. If you want to talk about something like Rosen or Savoie for Xhekaj and a pick, I'm sure that would be more interesting. Like I said, JJ's just hitting his stride and they need more of that, not less.
I don’t think Xhekaj is going anywhere especially not for Rosen or Savoie

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022

Buffalo has a surplus of top 6 forwards (Savoie, Benson, Quinn, Skinner, Tuch) - they deal from that position.
Montreal has a log jam on D (Reinbacher, Guhle, Hutson, Matheson, Barron, Engstrom, Struble, Mailloux) and deal from that position.

Buffalo acquires a mean, solid D in Arber Xhekaj + the Habs 2024 1st (projected 6-9th overall)
Montreal acquires a goal-scoring top 6 winger ready to plug and play on the 2nd line next to Kirby Dach next year
Come on man, thats a hell no. Do you think Buffalo is going to just rebuild forever?

I would never trade Peterka for picks. Peterka still hasn't reached his ceiling.

Also wasn't Xhekaj a healthy scratch?

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022

So then why not just trade the 1st for a top 6 winger? Plenty out there.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
There is levels to this game and peterka isn’t even close to a top 5 ish pick level.

I don’t think Xhekaj is going anywhere especially not for Rosen or Savoie

Then I would think there is no deal to be had. Buffalo doesn't need to trade a productive young player still with a year on his ELC for a magic bean, even a very good magic bean, and their other likely moved prospects aren't intriguing to Montreal to make that sort of move.

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
Don't know if the difference between peterka and Xhekaj is a top 10 pick.

I do however think the Habs could definitely use a pretty skilled pest with a high motor since Gally is pretty much dead.
Gallagher is not a bad comparison for Peterka in a certain way, except he's way more refined in the offensive parts of the game. I can easily see him putting up 35/40 goals 35 ish assists regularly in 1-2 years time.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
There is reason to believe some teams offered up to a late first for Xhekaj, so this is like giving a 5th and a 25th overall for a not-that-impressive smallish winger.

I'd pass, as a Habs fan.

Great, because we will pass too. I can't wait to see the Habs get 1st for Xhekaj. Sure. So Peterka for a 7th overall and a depth D man. Sorry, JJ has already shown he's a stud. Kid is on pace for 30 goals and 56 points and he's 22 with endless team control. Let's trade him for more magic beans.

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
I don't know what is most messed up about this thread, the OP or that some people are actually entertaining it

Last edited:

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Great, because we will pass too. I can't wait to see the Habs get 1st for Xhekaj. Sure. So Peterka for a 7th overall and a depth D man. Sorry, JJ has already shown he's a stud. Kid is on pace for 30 goals and 56 points and he's 22 with endless team control. Let's trade him for more magic beans.
but in montreal he becomes a perennial 50 goal scorer over night

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I like Peterka a lot, but there's no way I see the Habs value him at a unprotected lottery 1st + Xhekaj, especially to a division rival.

Flames 1st + Strubble (who has largely outplayed X this year & is 9mo younger) or Harris... That might get KH to the table. Though as Sabres fans have pointed out, there's little reason for the Sabres to move him for picks/futures, so I don't think there's a deal here to be had

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
Don't see why either team does this, Peterka is starting to his stride and Buffalo needs to start climbing out of the basement, trading him for Xhekaj and another 1st round pick doesn't do that. Montreal doesn't do this because they are still in a rebuild and likely value Xhekaj and a high 1st round pick higher than Peterka.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

Is the 2024 draft that bad you’d walk from a top 10 pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad