Proposal: MTL - BUF

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Exactly. Top 15. Not top 5.

That’s a hot take considering the names on the board.

Exactly. Top 6. When you draft top 5 you’re not expecting a top 6 player but a top line player. There’s level to this thing is Peterka is just not on the level of a top 5 player.

I mean Peterka is only a recently turned 22 year old. He’s not exactly a finished product. Plus $$ and team depth comes in to play for “Top line” vs. “Top 6” (not counting injuries).

There’s nuance to that, like are they a line driver or passenger, etc. I might be a homer, but I’d rather Peterka over Xhekaj if it was 1 v 1 for a trade. Because I know both players are not finished products at this point. But at this point, it’d be Montreal adding something minor. It definitely would not be Montreal’s 2024 1st right now though.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Exactly. Top 15. Not top 5.

That’s a hot take considering the names on the board.

Exactly. Top 6. When you draft top 5 you’re not expecting a top 6 player but a top line player. There’s level to this thing is Peterka is just not on the level of a top 5 player.
He is already a top 6 at 22 he can still be a top line player most of the guys in 2024 top 10 won't even be playing in the NHL until 2026 just look at the past drafts and your lofty expectations by comparison.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I mean Peterka is only a recently turned 22 year old. He’s not exactly a finished product. Plus $$ and team depth comes in to play for “Top line” vs. “Top 6” (not counting injuries).

There’s nuance to that, like are they a line driver or passenger, etc. I might be a homer, but I’d rather Peterka over Xhekaj if it was 1 v 1 for a trade. Because I know both players are not finished products at this point. But at this point, it’d be Montreal adding something minor. It definitely would not be Montreal’s 2024 1st right now though.
Me too. Xhekaj is a net positive on any team (and will be for a very long time) but Peterka is on another level.

I just don’t think Peterka is on a top 5 player level, which are usually building blocks for their team. While being a fantastic player, I don’t think Peterka is ever going to get there. I might be wrong, but chances are that he will cap at being a good top 6 player

He is already a top 6 at 22 he can still be a top line player most of the guys in 2024 top 10 won't even be playing in the NHL until 2026 just look at the past drafts and your lofty expectations by comparison.
And that’s perfect for Montreal. See my reply above about Peterka

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Me too. Xhekaj is a net positive on any team (and will be for a very long time) but Peterka is on another level.

I just don’t think Peterka is on a top 5 player level, which are usually building blocks for their team. While being a fantastic player, I don’t think Peterka is ever going to get there. I might be wrong, but chances are that he will cap at being a good top 6 player

And that’s perfect for Montreal. See my reply above about Peterka

Obviously we won’t know if you’re wrong or right, because neither of us have an accurate crystal ball (if you do, please DM me the winning Lotto 6/49 numbers that happen 3 weeks from now). He’s already a Top 6 player. Any team would move heaven and earth to add him. If he was traded, he’d get a wtf return like the Philly-Anaheim trade. He’d be overpaid for for now.

He won’t put up sexy numbers until Skinner is gone or gets bumped down the lineup. He’s basically the RNH of the Sabres

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This is trade talk just for the sake of talk.

I don't see why the Sabres need Savard, but let's say they want him.

Paterka is worth top 6+ 1st and possible a bit more. Savard is worth a late 1st. Those values are not the same by any stretch. So Savard does NOT get Paterka.

So what would be fair? Savard and Jets 1st and maybe Harris, but now we are approaching the other side of the ledger. Savard and Jets 1st I would do. Harris alone is likely a mid to early second in value.

I have absolutely no problem is trading both our first in a defenseman heavy draft when we have defenseman coming out of our kazoo.

I'd put our two 1sts and Savard and Harris on the block for a return. As an example Paterka and Frost or other youngsters with PROVEN NHL experience and likely top 6 abilities. Very likely top 6 but not necessarily star level.

It's nonsense to claim prospects are top 6 if they haven't proven themselves in the NHL. One NEVER trades that many assets on "potential". Otherwise we can have an endless spit fight with claims and counter claims including something like Lane Hutson is the next Quinn Hughes. He may very well be but also be a bust, no sane GM is going to trade multiple or high assets on him on that "potential".

Last edited:
Reactions: alasania94

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

I differentiate top 6 from stars. Example is Toffoli/Danault/Patioretti. A 40-60 point Top 6 but never considered a star. Stars would be consistent 80 plus point players.

Stack enough of those on a team with structure and desire and you got a contender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad