Proposal: MTL - BUF

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If rumours are true about the offer for X then we are basically giving up a high first AND very late 1st.

I'd do the first but not X.

He's getting beaten like a rented mule by the coach to play a certain way. It's not like we have a high structure coach so there is a bit of concern of the coach playing hardball with him. Do NOT forget that two years ago he was working for COSTCO so he shot up in development but still got much to learn.

Last edited:

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Pass. If you wanna drop Peterka and the 1st and just do Rosen for Wifi I might listen but I also just lust for any form of truculence in our lineup....

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Come on man, thats a hell no. Do you think Buffalo is going to just rebuild forever?

I would never trade Peterka for picks. Peterka still hasn't reached his ceiling.

Also wasn't Xhekaj a healthy scratch?

Kind of, he had an injury that kept him out for a couple weeks and the guy we called up to replace him was doing incredibly well so the org sent him to Laval for 15-20 games to work on his all around game as many sophmore players do he was in a bit of a slump.

He was essentially our AHL team's number 1 dman for those games and the team went from being bad to winning like 75% of their games.

Also Habs likely are not trading Xhekaj

Reactions: viceroy

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Then I would think there is no deal to be had. Buffalo doesn't need to trade a productive young player still with a year on his ELC for a magic bean, even a very good magic bean, and their other likely moved prospects aren't intriguing to Montreal to make that sort of move.
Exactly. There’s no possible scenario where Buffalo ends up with the Habs first and Hughes made it pretty clear Xhekaj isn’t going anywhere so yeah, just not happening

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I heard he’s not available. Habs keep their #5-6 and Buffalo keep their streak of not doing the playoff alive at least one for year.

Win-win for everyone

We are in an agreement.

I mean, if we need to get into harsh commentary this thread will drag on endlessly. Suffice to let it go as a bad idea and everyone can just walk away.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
We can discuss Xhekaj's value forever, but MTL would be crazy just to trade 1st unprotected for JJ.
There is a chance to draft Cellebrini, Demidov or Lindstrom, why would you trade them for JJ?
I feel you are under estimating how good JJ already is in place for a draft pick magic bean but either way I dont wanna move JJ so its all good

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Any trade for our first must be for a top 6, preferably center. We don't need more picks or "potential". We have a train load of those.

Ideally a team that has three young centers and wants to get a young defenseman and/or high draft pick. We're likely finishing 6-9 this year.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
In a vacuum, I believe Peterka has more value then a mid top ten pick in this draft (Peterka just turned 22 like a week ago, he has another year on his ELC after this one and is pacing for close to 30 goals. His impact is probably what you hope a player you draft in the 5-8 range of this draft will eventually become).

On the other hand, I understand how throwing Xhekaj into the deal sways the value in the other direction, I get why Habs fans want nothing to do with moving that package.... but from a Buffalo standpoint, Peterka posting training videos of himself all summer, running windsprints with parachutes strapped to his back and doing skating and stick handling drills the entire offseason.... he is the poster-child for what the Sabres need more of. (Especially when half of their young teams spent all summer posting beach vacation photos or pics from the golf course).

If I am Buffalo's management, I can only hope the other young players see how the hard work has paid off for JJ, and pray that it is contagious. It is an intangeable that this teams needs much more of, not less. I don't think I risk giving that up, even if the value-wise of a trade favors my organization (within reason).

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
The thought of old man Reaves getting his lights put out by a Sabres player a few times per season is immensely tempting. But Peterka is close to being a finished product, Xhekaj tops out as a serviceable bottom-pair tough guy, and another high pick is not what the Sabres need.

Rosen for Xhekaj. Keep the 1st. Buffalo's pick might turn out to be higher than Montreal's anyway.

Reactions: Irie

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
The thought of old man Reaves getting his lights put out by a Sabres player a few times per season is immensely tempting. But Peterka is close to being a finished product, Xhekaj tops out as a serviceable bottom-pair tough guy, and another high pick is not what the Sabres need.

Rosen for Xhekaj. Keep the 1st. Buffalo's pick might turn out to be higher than Montreal's anyway.
Very kind of you to offer Rosen. We’ll keep our serviceable bottom-pair tough guy

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Value favors buffalo by a lot... Not against a young D vs young F trade, but out pick is a lottery selection....

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
The value is very much in Montreal’s favor, but with a small chance of it going horribly wrong for them should that pick end up a #1. If it doesn’t though this trade is awful for Buffalo.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
Don't know if the difference between peterka and Xhekaj is a top 10 pick.

I do however think the Habs could definitely use a pretty skilled pest with a high motor since Gally is pretty much dead.
sssshhh! we were hoping to trade Gally to Buffalo.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Habs: JJ Peterka

Sabres: Arber Xhekaj + 2024 1st

Buffalo has a surplus of top 6 forwards (Savoie, Benson, Quinn, Skinner, Tuch) - they deal from that position.
Montreal has a log jam on D (Reinbacher, Guhle, Hutson, Matheson, Barron, Engstrom, Struble, Mailloux) and deal from that position.

Buffalo acquires a mean, solid D in Arber Xhekaj + the Habs 2024 1st (projected 6-9th overall)
Montreal acquires a goal-scoring top 6 winger ready to plug and play on the 2nd line next to Kirby Dach next year
I can't see Habs dealing that pick for Peterka.

Jack Quinn maybe I would? Then still 7th in draft get similar player as Quinn. Plus we still have to part with Wifi. Not worth it for Habs.

Last edited:

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Haven't you heard he's somewhat of a Unicorn? or a Pegasus or something
And yet here we are with ANOTHER proposal for X.

X is a fan favorite and we don't want to see him traded unless it's a substantial overpay. It doesn't matter to us if he develops to a top 4 or bottom 6, we still like the toughness he brings.

Moving along....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad