Proposal: MTL - BUF

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Xhekaj is somewhere between a borderline NHLer and a bottom pairing D. Peterka is on pace for 30 goals, almost all of them coming at ES. I totally get not wanting to trade your 1st in a rebuild, but the amount of people acting like these 2 players are close in value ITT is pretty wild.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Xhekaj is somewhere between a borderline NHLer and a bottom pairing D. Peterka is on pace for 30 goals, almost all of them coming at ES. The amount of people acting like these 2 players are even close in value ITT is pretty wild.
We are not. I think you forgot the Habs first round pick this year must be included. On top of that, both Hughes and the fans has said he is not being traded so unless you really wow us with an offer, he’s not being traded.

And no, Rosen is far from being a wow

Reactions: viceroy

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Xhekaj is somewhere between a borderline NHLer and a bottom pairing D. Peterka is on pace for 30 goals, almost all of them coming at ES. I totally get not wanting to trade your 1st in a rebuild, but the amount of people acting like these 2 players are close in value ITT is pretty wild.
The almost guaranteed top 8 pick is what I assume most are turning their nose up at, Xhekaj is a fan favourite and I think better than most non-Habs fans give him credit for but obviously movable for a player as good as Peterka

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The almost guaranteed top 8 pick is what I assume most are turning their nose up at, Xhekaj is a fan favourite and I think better than most non-Habs fans give him credit for but obviously movable for a player as good as Peterka

It just doesn't work for either team.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The players are not close. Paterka for X is an overpay and of course it'sfine....but that is not the trade. It's a first AND X is the issue.

I do Paterka for our 1st but top 3 protected. Buffalo shouldn't.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
If the Habs really wanted a scoring winger they could have drafted one last year

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
I’d prefer not to have Xhekaj slapping the shit out of the Habs 3 or 4 times a year while in a Sabres sweater. Right now he has more value to the Habs than another team IMHO. Having a guy who can play on the third pairing and can settle down the rough stuff that we saw a couple times this year when he wasn’t in the lineup is a big plus and it seems to be a rare thing to have these days in a player

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
Peterka's nice obviously but I wouldn't give up a #6/7 overall for him let alone adding Xhekaj who everyone loves and while definitely flawed still has high, unique upside
Peterka is what you hope #6-7 becomes.

He's a bull on the puck, skates well, pacing for 30 goals in his second season in the NHL (he's a real deal top 6 winger with 1st line upside)

Buffalo gets a solid two-way 5th D/tough guy + an early 1st they can package elsewhere to add another win now piece.

1706740370405.png

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

He's a bull on the puck, skates well, pacing for 30 goals in his second season in the NHL (he's a real deal top 6 winger with 1st line upside)

Buffalo gets a solid two-way 5th D/tough guy + an early 1st they can package elsewhere to add another win now piece.

View attachment 813298
Nice player but Montreal already have a smallish right winger. You should keep your bull

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
do you understand the Habs are in the process of a rebuild?

I’m trying to give you the benefit of doubt but come on man…..lol, I don’t think I’ve ever seen such an anti-rebuild trade proposal!!

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
do you understand the Habs are in the process of a rebuild?

I’m trying to give you the benefit of doubt but come on man…..lol, I don’t think I’ve ever seen such an anti-rebuild trade proposal!!
How is this an anti-rebuild move. You’re adding a 22 year old goal scoring winger who fits right into our timeline…

John B

Nov 19, 2016
Habs: JJ Peterka

Sabres: Arber Xhekaj + 2024 1st

Buffalo has a surplus of top 6 forwards (Savoie, Benson, Quinn, Skinner, Tuch) - they deal from that position.
Montreal has a log jam on D (Reinbacher, Guhle, Hutson, Matheson, Barron, Engstrom, Struble, Mailloux) and deal from that position.

Buffalo acquires a mean, solid D in Arber Xhekaj + the Habs 2024 1st (projected 6-9th overall)
Montreal acquires a goal-scoring top 6 winger ready to plug and play on the 2nd line next to Kirby Dach next year
If this were to happen it would have to be after the draft lottery and the order of picks is determined. Habs 2024 pick is a lottery pick and has the potential to be top five let alone 1st overall. Even with some kind of protection on the pick (top 5 protected or whatever) Habs are likely a lottery team again next year. They certainly are not a playoff team next year.

As a Habs fan, I would wait to see how the draft lottery goes and what player might available at the pick before making a deal like this. I would hope that Habs management would too.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
So every time a draft pick shows signs of life for Buffalo, thier supposed to trade him for picks? Is Buffalo starting a new rebuild? Why would they do this? Buffalo should be trading thier picks for players, not the other way around.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc

View attachment 813298
Yes we get it. No one said JJ sucks or anything. We would rather keep the pick and Xhekaj.

Last edited:

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite

look let’s speak the truth….Arbor Xhekaj is a unicorn in todays game, he skates well, has a good first pass, has offensive upside and at just 22 years old 6’4” 240 he’s a right handed menace in the d-zone.​

However, the NHL doesn’t want the truth because deep down in places they don't talk about at parties, they want Xhekaj on that D wall, they need him on that wall.

lol, cheers

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Xirik

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Peterka, as previously stated by Michael Peca, is a unicorn. He can easily become their top winger with that speed and skill. He is 100% untouchable.

Sabres will not be trading young successful hockey players; they have few enough as is. Now if you want a Sabre's forward prospect sure. Kulich will likely be ready, but I just don't actually believe Sabres need a Defenseman. They just need their current players: Dahlin Samuelsson Power R. Johnson to become more consistent....and less injured for Samuelsson. I guess if we cant rely on him sure.

I like Peterka a lot, but there's no way I see the Habs value him at a unprotected lottery 1st + Xhekaj, especially to a division rival.

Flames 1st + Strubble (who has largely outplayed X this year & is 9mo younger) or Harris... That might get KH to the table. Though as Sabres fans have pointed out, there's little reason for the Sabres to move him for picks/futures, so I don't think there's a deal here to be had
Always lottery protected.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
calling him a "not-that-impressive smallish winger" tells me you've never watched him play.

1. He's a gamer that's always involved in the play and a top notch goal scorer already at 22 years old.

2. He's 5'11 - 195 lbs - stocky. and there is NOTHING small about his game. Actually has a really high amount of grit and flair for the dramatic for a top 6 winger.
Agree with this and it should be a hard pass for the Sabers.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I really don't see how Paterka has done enough to warrant adding a 1st that is likely top 10 on top of a rare type of dman in Arber...Habs would not do this.

You don't see how a 22yo pacing for 30 (almost entirely ES) goals is worth substantially more than a 23yo who hasn't even stuck in the NHL all season??

Again, I get not wanting to trade your 1st while you're rebuilding, but holy yikes is the player evaluation here off.

• Haha
Reactions: beowulf

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Habs not trading their top 10 lotterie pick.

Sabres don't wanna give a young productive and gritty player.

Close the thing...

Reactions: Miller Time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad