Confirmed Trade: [MTL/ARI] Christian Dvorak for 2022 1st round pick and 2024 2nd round pick [Part II]

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Knee-jerk reaction to losing Kotkaniemi.

Plus Dvorak could still fit in a rebuilding window because of his age.

Montreal must have been a horrible fit. I still wonder how he would have looked, say, between Kaprizov and Zuccarello.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Which they would have done regardless of adding Dvorak. So you really can’t look at ti that way at all.

Late 1st in 2022
KK
2nd in 2024

Dvorak
3rd and 2022

It is a loss no matter how you look at it.

You can't just add the late 1st on top of KK when the only 1st they dealt they acquired through Kotkaniemi lol

Since I've seen like five failed attempts at breaking down these two trades:
Habs lost Kotkaniemi + 2nd round pick
Habs gained Dvorak + 3rd round pick

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Puzzling trade then, why not keep the pick and tank even more without Dvorak?
Cause it's the CAR pick...

Habs will easilly get a similar sample of picks next year at the TDL. So why NOT do it?? Dvorak will easilly fetch a 1st + prospect next year at the TDL. Young, cheap, good 3rd line C on a contender... he'll probably be one of the best option on the market next year.

Worst case, you resign him and have a LT option at 3C,

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Fact is the 3rd overall is playing 10 minutes a night making $6.1. Rather have Dvorak at 4.6$
Well, to be pedantic, average 12:20 over the season, not counting last game where he got a bit over 17 min.

The salaries are kinda apples and oranges to compare until Kotkaniemi's next (non-OS) contract is known. Dvorak is on a good contract, agreed.

You didn't mention point production, but that's so team context dependent that maybe it's not a very useful comparison either, in this case.

Certainly drafted too high and still work in progress as a center.

Jan 21, 2018
Since I've seen like five failed attempts at breaking down these two trades:
Habs lost Kotkaniemi + 2nd round pick

Let’s analyze that a little further shall we?

Habs lost 3rd Overall + 2nd round pick

Habs basically packaged 3rd overall+ for Christian Dvorak lol.

Like imagine asking a habs fan this year if they would package their 1st round pick for a 3rd line C. :help:

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017

Like imagine asking a habs fan this year if they would package their 1st round pick for a 3rd line C. :help:
Why stop there? Let's go all-in and say Habs gained the 58th OA instead of Dvorak while we're being disingenuous

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Would you guys trade Dvorak for Comtois?

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Would you guys trade Dvorak for Comtois?
What's his deal? I haven't been able to follow him this year, but seems to be very disappointing after being a bright spot for Anaheim last season

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
What's his deal? I haven't been able to follow him this year, but seems to be very disappointing after being a bright spot for Anaheim last season
He had a broken bone in his hand to start the year and struggled and got surgery just getting into game shape recently.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012

it was a bad pick . it's not likely gonna return a third overall value in return . where have you been?

Reactions: wejkenbejk

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
He’s been banged up all year and clearly is still ailing as he hasn’t played or practiced in quite some time.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
People should keep in mind, it wasn't apparent when we got Dvorak that the team was going to fall apart. It appeared that Price might miss a few games early on, but Allen could hold the fort, and otherwise Savard seemed like a tolerable replacement for Weber, considering Weber was often hurt anyways (ie, Savard in the lineup is better than Weber out of it).

Instead of being a potential playoff team, the Habs fell apart, which wasn't the obvious outcome before the season.

Reactions: HabsQC and BLONG7

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal

I always thought I wasn't a fan of the Weber - Subban trade, but I didn't know it was because we traded the 43rd pick straight up for the 49th

Reactions: Deam78

Mandalorian

Screw the tank, just WIN BABY!
Jan 3, 2022
In your head, rent free
Not really he's more of a power guy.
Not sure he fits with Gorton vision or he is the type of player Montreal is looking for, them wanting a fast-skilled team.

Dvorak seems to be a more complete player in both the offensive and the defensive zone so I guess some kind of add would be needed for the trade to go through.

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
People should keep in mind, it wasn't apparent when we got Dvorak that the team was going to fall apart. It appeared that Price might miss a few games early on, but Allen could hold the fort, and otherwise Savard seemed like a tolerable replacement for Weber, considering Weber was often hurt anyways (ie, Savard in the lineup is better than Weber out of it).

Instead of being a potential playoff team, the Habs fell apart, which wasn't the obvious outcome before the season.
Maybe Habs fans thought they were still a playoff team but alot of the people that were shitting on this trade knew MTL was a 24th place team that went on a fluke playoff run.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Maybe Habs fans thought they were still a playoff team but alot of the people that were shitting on this trade knew MTL was a 24th place team that went on a fluke playoff run.

There wasn't anything "Flukey" about their playoff run. They were a decent team that got hot at the right time.

Then they lost their all world goaltender, their captain and best defenseman, their steadiest defenseman (Edmundson), they had their young center poached via offer sheet which left them with Suzuki and nobody else up the middle. Bergevin, trying to save his job, went out and made the deal for Dvorak.

"Fluke" teams don't come back from being down 3-1 to win. They don't overcome losing their coach. That playoff run may have literally cost both Shea Weber and Carey Price their careers in the NHL. It wasn't a fluke, they just played a terrific team game throughout the playoffs and the guys that held the team together aren't there anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00