OT: Movies are basically flipbooks for adults (The Newly Annual Non-Pens Media Thraed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Some of the jokes haven’t aged well TBH. The gay panic bits are just... well, sad and not funny. But Murphy’s pacing and verbal ability is pretty amazing to watch. So I think people would be pointing out how flat some of the material is, versus his amazing delivery. I mean, how uncommon was it for straight people to have openly gay friends in the 80s, especially during the tragedy of the early AIDS epidemic? Nowadays, that’s not really good comedic material- most people my age or younger have evolved away from those jokes because we’ve got gay friends, relatives, coworkers and it just doesn’t seem funny. Like Archie Bunker, y’know?

That’s the thing with a lot of older standup- it’s a product of its time. So you lose quite a bit watching it now that doesn’t seem as funny. Honestly, one of the most moving bits of the Pryor special I mentioned is Richard talking about going to Africa and realizing that he wasn’t an n-word there, just a person. That’s timeless. Jokes about Leon Spinks? Well, not so timeless unless you’re into boxing like me. :laugh:

Yeah the gay bits would fall flat because at the time, it just worked because of what little people knew. I mean the whole "exploding" because of aids thing is again, him just playing off of his fears and I mean, you knew watching that bit that Eddie was homophobic to a degree like a lot of people were, in that era/time. People are wiser and more open minded about things once they've educated themselves about it.

But in a bubble, I can still enjoy it, I just sort of tune out those bits as they're not funny to me anymore, but it doesn't mean I can't enjoy the rest of the stand up, because in the whole stand up, those parts are maybe 10-15% of his routine.

Reactions: HandshakeLin

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
That’s the thing. Eddie was a killer stand-up, and people will notice how his technique is pretty much top notch. Just some of the jokes aren’t as funny now so it’d feel like an uneven special by a very talented comic and not one of the top 10 all time best.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Whike we’re on the subject of old stand ups, I don’t think Bill Hicks’ material has aged well either. I loved the **** out of it in the late 90s/early 2000s, but... :dunno:

Stand-up's probably not in a great place right now, so I feel like his stuff looks better now than it did then. Which isn't to say I appreciate him more; just that the competition is way weaker. At the time he was popular, he was head to head with guys like peak Chris Rock and his material was nothing in comparison. Everyone would suffer for that comparison, but even someone like Eddie Izzard had me scratching my head at Hicks' popularity at the time.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah, Hicks just feels a bit like an asshole these days. But I second you on the Eddie Izard thing. I just never got his appeal, and I’m a huge fan of British humor.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
  • Cavill was a skinny twerp in Monte Cristo, yeah he boinked King Henry's sister (she died, he was kind of useless for that show as his BFF).

You are blowing my mind for having spotted Henry Cavill as the Count of Monte Cristo's son. I've spent the last 5 minutes looking at pictures from this movie and I still don't see any resemblance between young Cavill and now Cavill.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
You are blowing my mind for having spotted Henry Cavill as the Count of Monte Cristo's son. I've spent the last 5 minutes looking at pictures from this movie and I still don't see any resemblance between young Cavill and now Cavill.

Hahah, I rewatched that movie somewhat recently while also having that information in hand. Makes an entertaining movie even more so.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I remember a lot of obscure crap. Unfortunately.

Reactions: billybudd

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I can't wait for Villeneuve's Dune.

I am hoping someone manages to spill coffee on every piece of equipment Disney is currently housing Aladdin on. Shit looks awful.

Love Death + Robots was all over the place. Some of the themes and stories were seriously dark. The animation was phenomenal. They took some HBO-like liberties with nudity, sex, language, and violence/gore, which was unfortunate.

I'd rate them:
1. Secret War
2. Zima Blue
3. Fish Night
4. Shapeshifters
5. Suits
6. When the Yogurt Took Over
7. Three Robots
8. Beyond the Aquila Rift
9. Lucky 13
10. The Witness
11. Sucker of Souls
12. Sonnie's Edge
13. Helping Hand
14. Ice Age
15. Good Hunting
16. The Dump
17. Blindspot
18. Alternate Histories

Last edited:
Reactions: Ogrezilla

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Speaking of dumb connections I don't make when I should make them... I just realized that Kyle MacLachlan is Paul in Dune as well as Special Agent Dale Cooper.

And now I can't stop thinking about Paul Atriedes bellowing "PIE IS A KILLING WORD" and giggling to myself like an idiot.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Yeah the gay bits would fall flat because at the time, it just worked because of what little people knew. I mean the whole "exploding" because of aids thing is again, him just playing off of his fears and I mean, you knew watching that bit that Eddie was homophobic to a degree like a lot of people were, in that era/time. People are wiser and more open minded about things once they've educated themselves about it.

But in a bubble, I can still enjoy it, I just sort of tune out those bits as they're not funny to me anymore, but it doesn't mean I can't enjoy the rest of the stand up, because in the whole stand up, those parts are maybe 10-15% of his routine.
You have to take comedy at face value for the time and era it’s in. I like Joe Rogans take on it. And that has nuance with it you obviously dont support the mindset of then but you take it as that was the mindset then and that’s unfortunate but it doesn’t mean the entire body of work of said comedian needs to go in the trash can because things have progressed now. Otherwise we’d be condemning hundreds of comedians across the board that were great overall artists.

Reactions: HandshakeLin

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I recommend to anyone that likes sci-fi even if you are not a die hard stars fan to read or listen to the trilogy of stories of Empires End. It bridges the gap between the original trilogy and the new movies. And I experienced it as an audio book in my car and it’s very very good.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
You have to take comedy at face value for the time and era it’s in. I like Joe Rogans take on it. And that has nuance with it you obviously dont support the mindset of then but you take it as that was the mindset then and that’s unfortunate but it doesn’t mean the entire body of work of said comedian needs to go in the trash can because things have progressed now. Otherwise we’d be condemning hundreds of comedians across the board that were great overall artists.

Right, which is why I think if you trabsplanted a young Eddie to 2019, gave him some time to adjust, he would be fine today. The jokes might change, but the talent’s there.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I recommend to anyone that likes sci-fi even if you are not a die hard stars fan to read or listen to the trilogy of stories of Empires End. It bridges the gap between the original trilogy and the new movies. And I experienced it as an audio book in my car and it’s very very good.
No.

Star Wars is shit because they play into the easy shit far too often. Its predictable garbage and they will keep making a f*** load of money. It's Michael Bay's Transformers in space with even worse acting.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think DC should re-cast Lex Luthor into Lexa Luthor and make her angle that she's jealous Superman likes some annoying reporter and not a successful powerful woman like her and goes all out to destroy him and her in the process.

Then cast Bree Larson in it so we can get a dreadful performance but make lots of money.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad