OT: Movies are basically flipbooks for adults (The Newly Annual Non-Pens Media Thraed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
that cast is out of control.

Oh yeah it’s insane. While I do love Tarantino, I think an even bigger part of my anticipation is seeing Leo back in action. It’s been too long.

It's what killed Hateful Eight for me.

People got so horned out to be in a Tarantino movie that it felt muddled, it took several viewings to really get what Tarantino was trying to do with that movie, for me anyway.

And I usually love his movies from the get go.

I like that movie, but it could have been better for sure. Felt the same with Django. I think Tarantino may honestly be better off with someone reigning him in a bit.

Both are strong films but neither holds up all that well to his other works imo. I’m not sure if that was cast related or not.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I liked Nolan's villains a lot, and the darker vibe, but Keaton is still, by far, my favorite Batman. I'll always be torn because of that.

I donno. How does that whole 'villians can't have facial scars / deformities' thing going to affect super hero movies?
I know it's a british thing, but the world is going f***ing mad and they do fund a lot of projects.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
have they said anything about plans with Batman or Superman? Or do they plan to let them rest for a bit and loop back to them later?
I think they shelved Superman for a bit, except for a Super Pets movie (yes, I'm wtf'ing too, why?). Batman, they're recasting the role and Reeves I think is supposed to have it done by 2021?

Reactions: Ogrezilla

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I think they shelved Superman for a bit, except for a Super Pets movie (yes, I'm wtf'ing too, why?). Batman, they're recasting the role and Reeves I think is supposed to have it done by 2021?
Reeves? Batman? Is that irony or a joke? I don't follow comic movies.
I know dc is screwed because Cavill quit and is doing Geralt of Rivia for the Witcher series, which netflix is so pleased with they are already on board with green lighting subsequents.

Guy is so big he cocks his guns before throwing down
source.gif

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Reeves? Batman? Is that irony or a joke? I don't follow comic movies.
I know dc is screwed because Cavill quit and is doing Geralt of Rivia for the Witcher series, which netflix is so pleased with they are already on board with green lighting more seasons.

Guy is so big he cocks his guns before throwing down
source.gif

Dude was a skinny shit before superman.

Also, he hasn't officially quit the way Affleck has, he's still contracted to do another one I believe, or at least an appearance and then he's free. The issue is that the stink bomb that WB f***ed with, especially with that giant turd Whedon, is still fresh in people's minds. They need to earn good will back and also find a better director for taking over the Superman movie.

Also, even if he's recast, that might even be a better thing, Cavill was plucked out of Tudors fame (from which I knew him from, as well as Monte Cristo), it was him getting cast as superman that opened up doors right away for him - Simply put, the movie may have been meh by a lot of people in his Superman movies, but without it, he's just some skinny wanker that might be on some tv show like J-Rhys.

I remember when it was news, Cavill was cast as Superman, he then hired a trainer (much like Hemsworth, a guy that was a f*** ton skinnier than he is now), then he did Immortals with his body about 80% of the way there, then he just packed on an insane amount of muscle and has continued to since.

So far...

Wonder Woman - Did very well.
Aquaman - Earned some good will back by a lot of fans.
Shazam - Might show people they can do fun and still make a good movie.

Next up is the Wonder Woman sequel, the Batman movie/reboot with Matt Reeves (Planet of the Apes franchise - recent ones), then the Birds of Prey thing with the stupid long title, Suicide Squad with James Gunn at the helm, and I think they're trying to re-visit Green Lantern as well.

I think it might be a better play to round up the gang first, then slowly fix up Batman and Superman with more classic foundations added back to them and not this brooding shit that the Nolan films had Snyder go full tardo with.

I would go that path..

You have Wonder Woman, now Aquaman, I think they need to recast Cyborg (Doom Patrol Cyborg is like 100x better than the movie one), Flash - the actor that plays him is a f***ing weird kid but lets see how he does behind a better director...etc.

Re Flash - The actor that plays him, seems to be getting a TON of control over story/script. I'm not sure what to expect of that. That movie could be a giant bomb waiting to happen.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I donno. How does that whole 'villians can't have facial scars / deformities' thing going to affect super hero movies?
I know it's a british thing, but the world is going ****ing mad and they do fund a lot of projects.
That's utterly ridiculous. I thought you were kidding at first. What's next, gingers can't be villains? Or maybe villains can have no distinctive qualities that people can relate to.

I get what they are trying to do but they don't get a free pass for this stupidity just because they mean well. There will always be a stigma around disfigurement. It's just human nature. A handful of villains aren't going to change it one way or another. It seems like their efforts would be better spent with a different approach. Like education or promoting more scars in movies. Increase people's exposure to them, not decrease.

Also, it isn't like villains are given scars just to make them look a certain way. It is usually there as a reminder of a traumatic event or something that happened in a formative moment leading to their villainy. It gives them depth. Makes them unique.

I guess we can look forward to a Joker who never fell into a vat of chemicals and doesn't have a permanent grin. Maybe he just likes to wear makeup? And a Two Face who will now just be One Face. They have the technology now that they can go back and edit the scar off of Tony Montana's face and re-release it as "Face."

Anyway, thanks for alerting me to this so that I could rant about it. :laugh:

Reactions: shoplifter

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Dude was a skinny **** before superman.

Also, he hasn't officially quit the way Affleck has, he's still contracted to do another one I believe, or at least an appearance and then he's free. The issue is that the stink bomb that WB ****ed with, especially with that giant turd Whedon, is still fresh in people's minds. They need to earn good will back and also find a better director for taking over the Superman movie.

Also, even if he's recast, that might even be a better thing, Cavill was plucked out of Tudors fame (from which I knew him from, as well as Monte Cristo), it was him getting cast as superman that opened up doors right away for him - Simply put, the movie may have been meh by a lot of people in his Superman movies, but without it, he's just some skinny wanker that might be on some tv show like J-Rhys.

I remember when it was news, Cavill was cast as Superman, he then hired a trainer (much like Hemsworth, a guy that was a **** ton skinnier than he is now), then he did Immortals with his body about 80% of the way there, then he just packed on an insane amount of muscle and has continued to since.

So far...

Wonder Woman - Did very well.
Aquaman - Earned some good will back by a lot of fans.
Shazam - Might show people they can do fun and still make a good movie.

Next up is the Wonder Woman sequel, the Batman movie/reboot with Matt Reeves (Planet of the Apes franchise - recent ones), then the Birds of Prey thing with the stupid long title, Suicide Squad with James Gunn at the helm, and I think they're trying to re-visit Green Lantern as well.

I think it might be a better play to round up the gang first, then slowly fix up Batman and Superman with more classic foundations added back to them and not this brooding **** that the Nolan films had Snyder go full tardo with.

I would go that path..

You have Wonder Woman, now Aquaman, I think they need to recast Cyborg (Doom Patrol Cyborg is like 100x better than the movie one), Flash - the actor that plays him is a ****ing weird kid but lets see how he does behind a better director...etc.

Re Flash - The actor that plays him, seems to be getting a TON of control over story/script. I'm not sure what to expect of that. That movie could be a giant bomb waiting to happen.
You typed so much I can't coherently respond to all that.

I'll try on the hop:
Yes actors have months to prepare for roles and to do nothing but beef cake themselves. Yes Cavill was a little punk in Tudors (I watched every episode). Rhys is a great actor and said himself he doesn't do hollywood because he doesn't get offers. I don't know how Cavill did as he was basically part of king henrys' entourage on the tudors and the only thing he did noteworthy was f*** henry sister. At least I think it was his sister it's been awhile since I watched.

Never saw wonder woman. Never saw aquaman. Shazam sounds like a shammy swiffer, never even heard of Shazam honestly.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
That's utterly ridiculous. I thought you were kidding at first. What's next, gingers can't be villains? Or maybe villains can have no distinctive qualities that people can relate to.

I get what they are trying to do but they don't get a free pass for this stupidity just because they mean well. There will always be a stigma around disfigurement. It's just human nature. A handful of villains aren't going to change it one way or another. It seems like their efforts would be better spent with a different approach. Like education or promoting more scars in movies. Increase people's exposure to them, not decrease.

Also, it isn't like villains are given scars just to make them look a certain way. It is usually there as a reminder of a traumatic event or something that happened in a formative moment leading to their villainy. It gives them depth. Makes them unique.

I guess we can look forward to a Joker who never fell into a vat of chemicals and doesn't have a permanent grin. Maybe he just likes to wear makeup? And a Two Face who will now just be One Face. They have the technology now that they can go back and edit the scar off of Tony Montana's face and re-release it as "Face."

Anyway, thanks for alerting me to this so that I could rant about it. :laugh:

We live in a sick world today... that is without a doubt.
Yeah, what I said was true about the scars on faces thing look it up all you want.
Trust but verified.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
You typed so much I can't coherently respond to all that.

I'll try on the hop:
Yes actors have months to prepare for roles and to do nothing but beef cake themselves. Yes Cavill was a little punk in Tudors (I watched every episode). Rhys is a great actor and said himself he doesn't do hollywood because he doesn't get offers. I don't know how Cavill did as he was basically part of king henrys' entourage on the tudors and the only thing he did noteworthy was **** henry sister. At least I think it was his sister it's been awhile since I watched.

Never saw wonder woman. Never saw aquaman. Shazam sounds like a shammy swiffer, never even heard of Shazam honestly.

Point form...

• Rhys also had some drug/alcohol issues, he was supposed to be a big actor, never quite handled the fame, flamed out in a lot of things, had a Dracula show he couldn't quite get off the ground, oddly enough, also was in Mission Impossible, not very memorable. Now he's in that show that should have been cancelled a long time ago - Vikings.
  • Cavill was a skinny twerp in Monte Cristo, yeah he boinked King Henry's sister (she died, he was kind of useless for that show as his BFF).
  • Wonder Woman - It's fun, nice to see WW on the big screen done well, I used to watch the tv show with that smokin' Lynda, albeit re-runs in the early-mid 80's. She's a bad ass that is learning about the world, her dude isn't the bad ass and she saves his ass.
  • Aquaman - Done a lot better than even I thought it would be, I was worried it would suck, but it was just done well. See it, forget about the fact that it's a Super hero movie, just enjoy it.
  • Shazam - Kid turns into a super hero when he says a magical phrase, in the comics about the innocence of a kid being in a super hero's form with the burden of saving people and deaths and how his real life is unfortunate, in the comics later on he shares his powers with his friends and together they form Shazam. He was once Captain Marvel, but the name lapsed over for rights and Marvel made some shitty character with insane powers that make no sense (apparently in Marvel, everyone is super strong!!!) - Movie take is they're having fun with the aspect of the kid with powers bit, solid cast, seems to be getting good reviews. Again, forget that it's a super hero movie and watch it for the shit you'd do if you were a kid that was gifted with the powers he was gifted with.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Point form...

• [*]Rhys also had some drug/alcohol issues, he was supposed to be a big actor, never quite handled the fame, flamed out in a lot of things, had a Dracula show he couldn't quite get off the ground, oddly enough, also was in Mission Impossible, not very memorable. Now he's in that show that should have been cancelled a long time ago - Vikings.
  • Cavill was a skinny twerp in Monte Cristo, yeah he boinked King Henry's sister (she died, he was kind of useless for that show as his BFF).
  • Wonder Woman - It's fun, nice to see WW on the big screen done well, I used to watch the tv show with that smokin' Lynda, albeit re-runs in the early-mid 80's. She's a bad ass that is learning about the world, her dude isn't the bad ass and she saves his ass.
  • Aquaman - Done a lot better than even I thought it would be, I was worried it would suck, but it was just done well. See it, forget about the fact that it's a Super hero movie, just enjoy it.
  • Shazam - Kid turns into a super hero when he says a magical phrase, in the comics about the innocence of a kid being in a super hero's form with the burden of saving people and deaths and how his real life is unfortunate, in the comics later on he shares his powers with his friends and together they form Shazam. He was once Captain Marvel, but the name lapsed over for rights and Marvel made some ****ty character with insane powers that make no sense (apparently in Marvel, everyone is super strong!!!) - Movie take is they're having fun with the aspect of the kid with powers bit, solid cast, seems to be getting good reviews. Again, forget that it's a super hero movie and watch it for the **** you'd do if you were a kid that was gifted with the powers he was gifted with.

Before I even read the rest.... woah, Vikings should have been cancelled? After Ragnar death season 5a was great, 5b sucked. It's still good though. Of course, not as good as Ragnar... I mean... they killed the golden goose and knew it, but story demanded.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Point form...

• Rhys also had some drug/alcohol issues, he was supposed to be a big actor, never quite handled the fame, flamed out in a lot of things, had a Dracula show he couldn't quite get off the ground, oddly enough, also was in Mission Impossible, not very memorable. Now he's in that show that should have been cancelled a long time ago - Vikings.
  • Shazam - Kid turns into a super hero when he says a magical phrase, in the comics about the innocence of a kid being in a super hero's form with the burden of saving people and deaths and how his real life is unfortunate, in the comics later on he shares his powers with his friends and together they form Shazam. He was once Captain Marvel, but the name lapsed over for rights and Marvel made some ****ty character with insane powers that make no sense (apparently in Marvel, everyone is super strong!!!) - Movie take is they're having fun with the aspect of the kid with powers bit, solid cast, seems to be getting good reviews. Again, forget that it's a super hero movie and watch it for the **** you'd do if you were a kid that was gifted with the powers he was gifted with.

I have Aquaman pirate matey. I can't get past the beginning. Same with Mortal Engines, it is just so out-there I can't enjoy it. I love messed up imaginative stuff, but with the super hero / heroin stuff based off reality I can't get into that crap. Nobody can ever fly. Nobody can ever bend metal with their mind. I just get a drop kick to my brain... saying this is total nonsense.

Don't even get me started on star wars. Ships a mile long just zipping around a vacuum. One little crack and the whole thing would be ripped to shreds. Not to mention, who builds them and how do they get into space.

<- salty dog

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Rewatched randomly Robin Williams on Broadway 2002 tonight. Still one of the funniest standups ever. Should be a metric for people to judge standup upon.

Robin Williams Live on Broadway? With the eye in the background that he says is donald rumsfeld watching you?
Yes. Yes Yes. Iconic standup one of which I'll never forget.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I have Aquaman pirate matey. I can't get past the beginning. Same with Mortal Engines, it is just so out-there I can't enjoy it. I love messed up imaginative stuff, but with the super hero / heroin stuff based off reality I can't get into that crap. Nobody can ever fly. Nobody can ever bend metal with their mind. I just get a drop kick to my brain... saying this is total nonsense.

Don't even get me started on star wars. Ships a mile long just zipping around a vacuum. One little crack and the whole thing would be ripped to shreds. Not to mention, who builds them and how do they get into space.

<- salty dog
iu

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

<- salty dog
Give Aquaman a longer chance.

Mortal Engines is garbage, that movie needed to be a mini series, not a movie with no context for the average viewer.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I watched it again a few months back. Wow, would there ever be a lot of [mod] if he did that same standup today.

Some of the jokes haven’t aged well TBH. The gay panic bits are just... well, sad and not funny. But Murphy’s pacing and verbal ability is pretty amazing to watch. So I think people would be pointing out how flat some of the material is, versus his amazing delivery. I mean, how uncommon was it for straight people to have openly gay friends in the 80s, especially during the tragedy of the early AIDS epidemic? Nowadays, that’s not really good comedic material- most people my age or younger have evolved away from those jokes because we’ve got gay friends, relatives, coworkers and it just doesn’t seem funny. Like Archie Bunker, y’know?

That’s the thing with a lot of older standup- it’s a product of its time. So you lose quite a bit watching it now that doesn’t seem as funny. Honestly, one of the most moving bits of the Pryor special I mentioned is Richard talking about going to Africa and realizing that he wasn’t an n-word there, just a person. That’s timeless. Jokes about Leon Spinks? Well, not so timeless unless you’re into boxing like me. :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Whike we’re on the subject of old stand ups, I don’t think Bill Hicks’ material has aged well either. I loved the shit out of it in the late 90s/early 2000s, but... :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad