Most Overrated NHL Team

Most overrated team of 2018/19

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Completely irrelevant.
I have never, ever picked teams based on how many rounds they won. That's so stupid with a league like the NHL. I never even consider it.

Irrelevant? Uhh..Chicago and Pittsburgh have dominated the Cups recently, so maybe you should have picked your Cup champs based on recent playoff success. I have no idea how you can say "winning playoff rounds" is irrelevant. Pittsburgh learned to win, and kept doing it. Chicago learned to win and kept doing it. Toronto has learned to win...in the regular season. 7-5 doesn't happen in the playoffs. Matthews point per game drops from close to 1.0, to almost 0.5 in the playoffs lol.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
That's the issue here though. People hear the Leafs get the most coverage and equate to that they loved the Leafs and overrate them.

I agree, which is sad because it most likely lopsided the results of the poll.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
It really was not. In fact I even gave you a source that was specifically mentioned "Sportsnet-AKA-Leaf Owners" to show not a single person picked the Leafs to win anything.

So a handful of panelists on ONE network means nobody picks the Leafs to win the Cup. I mean how can you be wrong when your criteria is "find one person out of this small group of people that I provide".

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
It really was not. In fact I even gave you a source that was specifically mentioned "Sportsnet-AKA-Leaf Owners" to show not a single person picked the Leafs to win anything.

What point are you trying to make? The Canadian media absolutely loves the Leafs. You can't turn on TSN or Sportsnet and not hear something about the Leafs within 3 minutes. It's exhausting, they forget there are 6 other Canadian teams, let alone 24 American teams.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
What point are you trying to make? The Canadian media absolutely loves the Leafs. You can't turn on TSN or Sportsnet and not hear something about the Leafs within 3 minutes. It's exhausting, they forget there are 6 other Canadian teams, let alone 24 American teams.
That does not mean they love them at all. You are confused.
Sportnet was wall-to-wall talk yesterday about how the Leafs are going to lose all their young players.

Leafs=Ratings.

Are you disputing my post TSN and Sportsnet are predicting great things this year?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
So a handful of panelists on ONE network means nobody picks the Leafs to win the Cup. I mean how can you be wrong when your criteria is "find one person out of this small group of people that I provide".
LOL @ Handful-SN is Leaf ownership! I read non-stop how they are picking the Leafs to win it all here.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Can't wait for this team to win a cup. Going to be glorious. The last three years I have heard they are over rated on here. Yet they have outperformed these predictions many times over. I have not seen anyone calling the Leafs the favorites (outside of some Leaf fans, but EVERY good team has fans who think they will win it all), but a top team in the NHL. They were that last year, and thus far appear to be one this year. How is this over rated?

If you want over rated, how about a team like Tampa that has been called the favorite on here for the last 5 years and never came close? Or the Preds who also have been on these lists and never won?

No, it must be the Leafs because other rosters and managers sucked for a long time.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Can't wait for this team to win a cup. Going to be glorious. The last three years I have heard they are over rated on here. Yet they have outperformed these predictions many times over. I have not seen anyone calling the Leafs the favorites (outside of some Leaf fans, but EVERY good team has fans who think they will win it all), but a top team in the NHL. They were that last year, and thus far appear to be one this year. How is this over rated?

If you want over rated, how about a team like Tampa that has been called the favorite on here for the last 5 years and never came close? Or the Preds who also have been on these lists and never won?

No, it must be the Leafs because other rosters and managers sucked for a long time.

Outperformed? When have they even made the 2nd round?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

I'm sorry are you implying that HF had the Leafs winning a round? Shall I bump the "Will the Leafs make the playoffs during Babcocks contract thread"? Or the "Rank the Canadian teams" thread where Leaf fans were over rating the kids and they wouldn't go from last place to the playoffs? How about the other Rank the Canadian teams thread the year after where it was all a fluke due to health and career years and they would regress? How about all the claims of the Leafs having the worst defense in the league and them finishing in the middle of the pack for GA.

To suggest they have underperformed is to suggest that people thought the Leafs were going to win the cup the last few years which is just not true. The ONLY argument is that last season AFTER the year was already started, people expected them to win a round.

However by and far, they have beaten expectations made on here time and time again over the past three seasons.

Reactions: smitty10

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Are we seriously claiming they have not outperformed expectations on here? It kills me I can't bump up some old threads. There were question if they'd "Sniff" the playoffs in 5 years even 2 years ago. In fact, last year their overhyped "health" was the reason they would miss the playoffs.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
That seems to be the common sentiment from almost everyone on this site (save for a few very, very vocal Leaf zealots). I don't really know if they qualify as over rated when the majority of folks seem to agree that is what they are.

Maybe y'all just need a few more Matthews threads until you come around and see the light.

I think this is fair. I also think that people are not as liberal with the ignore button as you are so the site has a different feel to them.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
A more interesting poll would be who is the second most overrated team.
I’m surprised the Bruins are in second. I don’t really see them being over rated at all. Looks like some inter division rivalry going on here judging by the mostly Leaf posters voting for the Bruins.
I can see Tampa but a year ago second spot would have gone to Washington but I think all this really shows is that it’s really hard to win a Cup even if you’ve been a top team for a few years.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Odd results. I understand why people are hesitant to believe in the Leafs, but there are some other expected top teams with some pretty big question marks as well. It gets even more odd since most who mention them seems to base it on the Leafs having a tremendous offense but might be limited in how far they go because of their defense, which is pretty much spot on the general idea of the team. So it doesn't really feel like they should be a runaway favorite here.

I think my vote might go to Nashville. At first glance, they are the strongest team in the league. But before last season, Rinne was looking like a below average starter on the downswing of his career. I remember doing some statistical analysis mostly based on dSv%, and he ended up out of the top 30 altogether. Then he had a clear-cut Vezina season at 35. I wouldn't be so sure that it won't be an outlier when we sum up his career though. Add that their center depth seem weak compared to most other playoff teams, and that their overall forward depth seem rather weak and... well, there are more question marks than you think.

On the other hand, if Rinne falters then they have a guy who should be a starter in my opinion to take over the reigns. And while the centers are overall a bit weak for a top team, Johansen really seem like the kind of guy who raises his game when faced with a true challenge.

Summed up like that, I don't know if I would even call them overrated. Just a team with question marks, which is true of pretty much everyone this year. Can't think of a better example though. Maybe the Islanders? To me, they seem like a team without much talent outside their top 10 center.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad