Most Overrated and Underrated Players in the NHL?

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
He is on pace for a 65 point rookie season playing center, while having terrific advanced stats.

I am starting to feel the opposite. People are looking for any reason to put him down, and it's getting to the point where he is getting under rated.

What do you expect? Leaf fans say he is a future franchise C. He certainly has PPG C potential, where is he overrated?

I agree but I think pre-draft people were projecting him as a more than PPG center. I'm not saying he's a bad prospect. I wonder if his consensus as the #1 was a bit much though.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
In disbelief, Ovi didnt make anyones overrated lists for once. Its a new day.

Over: Price, Id say laine for all annoying threads but really havent seen enough of his
play yet

Under: not really sure....

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
On here, I'd say

Overrated : Slavin & Rakell
Underrated : Victor Rask & Alex Steen (not that people say he's bad.. just that no one talks about him)

Outside of HFboards

Overrated : Jonathan Toews
Underrated : Mark Scheifele

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
OEL and Ekblad are overrated AF...barely anybody watches those teams so they just go with what they hear. Noticed as well that any young finnish player with good potential is overhyped on here (Laine is apparently Jesus).

Underrated: Risto, Giroux, Backstrom

A lot of Ekblad's hype is because he has the tools to be a Doughty type if he progresses. Currently though he is overrated.

OEL is absolutely not overrated though. In no way. He is as near to being elite as it gets without actually being there, and nobody calls him elite. He is a driver in all situations. If others feel the same way you do, you should probably put him in the underrated list.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
OEL and Ekblad are overrated AF...barely anybody watches those teams so they just go with what they hear. Noticed as well that any young finnish player with good potential is overhyped on here (Laine is apparently Jesus).

Underrated: Risto, Giroux, Backstrom

Explain to me how OEL is overrated.

leafSSteelers79

Dec 7, 2016
Halifax
After reading through this thread, I think its safe to say that the consensus #1 underrated player in the league is Backstrom. Personally while i agree he is underrated, my number one underrated guy is Kessel. Kessel has been harshly criticised since before he played his first game as a bruin. Even more so when he was traded to Leafs. His goal production has always been elite. Last year he was one of the best players in the playoffs, winning his first cup. I believe he had more goals, points, and a better +\- than conn smyth winner Crosby. Yet nobody mentions him at all, and when they do they are often critical. Honorable mentions for me go to Bergeron, Carter, and O'Rielly.

As for overrated, it seems less obvious who the the consensus choice is. From my counting, guys thag recieved multiple nominations are Ekman larson, Price, Toews, Stamkos, Nuggent hopkins, and Ekblad.

My choice is without question Price. He may very well be the best goalie in the league... but the way most everyone talks about him is ridiculous. If he is the best, there are others not far behind. He is a perfect example of the placebo effect, being drafted #1 to a legendary team, and a team that has a history of having elite goalies. Everyone said he was the chosen one, and despite quite frankly not performing overly well, had been repeately and repeatedly forgiven with claims that his potential trumps his average performance. He eventually had a career year, winning multiple trophies. He also was chosen to be the goalie for olympics and world cup. He won gold, and you cant take that away, he played solid. However he did not look exactly stellar... not to mention he played with a group of guys in front of him who are some of the best players of their time, who played a very stifling brand of hockey to ensure winning games. Some have said the olympics was the strongest defensive effort by a team in history of the game. Hard to argue against that when you watch the games. The thing that gets me is he is still regarded as the best goalie in the game, some even go as far to say best player, yet he has never done anything in the playoffs in 9 seasons. Halak took habs to conference finals in 2010, and stood on his head stealing games. Price has yet to get past the second round.

18 goalies currently playing in the NHL, have a better playoff win %, a better playoff GAA, AND a better playoff save %, than Price. He is a really good goalie, but has not made the Hall of Fame yet ... if ever people.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Sorry, can you show those posts that claim that "Toews is equal/comparable to Crosby" ??? About 30 posts claiming that, won't be that difficult since "half of the forums" thinks that way...

Oh wait, maybe its just another straw man... I've never seen anyone saying Toews is better/equal to Crosby... At best, half of forums thought that pre'14 Toews was marginally better than pre'14 Kane, wich he really was. Since then, one of them took two massive steps forward, and the other- two steps back, and thats the reason of recent anti-Toews outrage... Nowdays no one says that Toews is better/equal to Kane (and certainly no one EVER said he is/was better/equal to Crosby), but that doesn't mean this was always that way...

This is about 10, all from one thread. I can keep going to 30 if you'd like?

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=105153805&postcount=19

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=105154021&postcount=20

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=105155181&postcount=36

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=105158507&postcount=81

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=105194813&postcount=367

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=105194143&postcount=353

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=105189875&postcount=331

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=105183985&postcount=306

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=105182447&postcount=294

TeeTee

Apr 20, 2016
Underrated - Crosby. He creates opportunities on every shift. I have never seen a better passer of the puck. His view of the ice and his awareness is extraordinary.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
nuge is overrated on here. like mack, he has gotten worse since his rookie season from a production standpoint. people will constantly say he is a great shutdown center, when i don't see that as much. he's a good player but he is no doubt a disappointing 1OV

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Sorry, can you show those posts that claim that "Toews is equal/comparable to Crosby" ??? About 30 posts claiming that, won't be that difficult since "half of the forums" thinks that way...

Oh wait, maybe its just another straw man... I've never seen anyone saying Toews is better/equal to Crosby... At best, half of forums thought that pre'14 Toews was marginally better than pre'14 Kane, wich he really was. Since then, one of them took two massive steps forward, and the other- two steps back, and thats the reason of recent anti-Toews outrage... Nowdays no one says that Toews is better/equal to Kane (and certainly no one EVER said he is/was better/equal to Crosby), but that doesn't mean this was always that way...

Before it became in to say Toews is overrated, he was loved on HF. So many threads where he was said to be better "Overall" (I always laughed at that) than Crosby. I would always tell those people they were overrating defensive play.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Cause as know, comparatively Matthews is 8x better than Crosby

First NHL game: Matthews 4 goals
Crosby: 1 assist

An assist is only like half a goal so, Matthews is 8x better.

Yeah but can you find a thread claiming that? No you cannot. Can you find a thread comparing Laine to Mario? Yes, it was made today.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Yeah but can you find a thread claiming that? No you cannot. Can you find a thread comparing Laine to Mario? Yes, it was made today.

I can find a thread of depressed Leafs fans trying to convince themselves that Matthews over Laine was the right choice and using every possible excuse to discredit Laine.

It's the "Calder trophy" thread.

My post is tongue in cheek. The amount of *****ing between Leafs and Jets fan is ridiculous. Two elite young talents with different skill sets and neither group can actually give credit to the other player without jealousy or a pissing territorial match.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I can find a thread of depressed Leafs fans trying to convince themselves that Matthews over Laine was the right choice and using every possible excuse to discredit Laine.

My post is tongue in cheek. The amount of *****ing between Leafs and Jets fan is ridiculous. Two elite young talents with different skill sets and neither group can actually give credit to the other player without jealousy or a pissing territorial match.

Laine has 4 more points in 4 more games.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Jake McCabe at some point in his career will be in the conversation for the USA olympic team if the NHL players keep playing.

Hes so underrated and finally is playing top pair minutes with Risto. Ive loved his game since the US won the WJC.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
OEL is creeping up on him though. This is not a top 10 Dman at all. Not even close really. There are at least 15 Dmen I'd take before OEL. Again, this is not me saying he's a bad player, it's me saying he's not a godsend like he has been made out to be in the past.

Name said 15 d-men.

OEL consistently puts up phenomenal numbers on what has been an offensively inept Yotes team for the entirety of his career. Just so smart and so poised in the defensive zone too.

I consider him to be a top 5 defenceman in the league.

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
O'Rielly is absolutely underrated. Seriously, if we are talking about "the perfect hockey player" it's probably him. He's playing like prime Bergeron right now, who was a top 3 forward in the game.

Pavelski is another good one.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg

That's not true, it's just that the one's who aren't overboard homers have no reason to constantly pump the others tires. We've acknowledged the talent, both ways, and have just ignored the many stupid Laine vs etc and Matthews vs etc threads because the nutjobs that post in them ruin any reasonable discussion. I don't go near the trade forums anymore, and barely read the polls section now because of the crap that gets spewed there.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00