Most Overrated and Underrated Players in the NHL?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
In my opinion, i know who i would vote for both categories... im curious how many people agree.... i have a feeling not many will... but either way im curious to hear some names thrown around.

Is it wrong to say me too - and that I want to vote Toews for *both* categories?

Half the forums underrates the crap out of him and think he's on the worst contract in the league, or close.
Half of the forums thinks his career value is equal/comparable to Crosby.

The truth is somewhere in the middle.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Around HF Boards the most overrated player currently is Patrick Laine. Without a shadow of a doubt. The guy is a great player, but he's more Corey Perry than he is Alex Ovechkin(why people take being compared to an MVP/Rocket Winner as an insult I will never understand).

Around the league I think it's either OEL or Toews as most overrated. This time last year it was definitely Toews, but I think people have started accepting that he's a great player who was propped up a bit by fantastic teammates/linemates. Again, this is not me saying Toews is a bad player, this is me saying he's great, but not a legend or a top 5 player like people would argue in the past.

OEL is creeping up on him though. This is not a top 10 Dman at all. Not even close really. There are at least 15 Dmen I'd take before OEL. Again, this is not me saying he's a bad player, it's me saying he's not a godsend like he has been made out to be in the past.

Other than post #2, this is the worst post in the thread.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I always thought Vlasic gets overrated on these boards.

For underrated, Jaden Schwartz is a guy who no one ever seems to talk about but continues to put up points. I also think Rick Nash gets undervalued here, he's still a great player but people only look at his contract.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
This thread will end up in a total dogfight lol

Overrated: Radulov. Good player, no freaking doubt. But jesus the tire pumping this guy gets is out of hand.

Underrated: I'd have to go with Shattenkirk. Everytime I watch him, I am amazed at how good he is. Yet, no one ever really talks about him.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Over-/underrated by whom?

Laine is for example compared to arguably the best player in the history of the league, albeit stylistically (though some seem to misunderstand that). He is also described as a one-dimensional guy who stands around doing nothing until he gets a chance to shoot. Which is he? Both?

People will generally just answer any player they like or dislike, and whom they have been involved in a discussion about lately with people saying things they find preposterous. And that's not a very good measurement of trends across the boards in how players are rated.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
This thread will end up in a total dogfight lol

Overrated: Radulov. Good player, no freaking doubt. But jesus the tire pumping this guy gets is out of hand.

Underrated: I'd have to go with Shattenkirk. Everytime I watch him, I am amazed at how good he is. Yet, no one ever really talks about him.

I don't think he's overrated.

Before this season people didn't know how he'd do in the NHL. Everyone generally accepted he was a great hockey player though.

He's playing great so far this year and has been praised for it.

I don't really see in what way he's overrated. I don't think anybody is pretending he's the best player in the league or such - just that he's a star forward with great ability at generating offense.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
I've been getting a sense that Matthews may have been overrated having gone to Europe and not being able to be as easily compared to other prospects. The "but he plays among men now" thing. Who knows though.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Every single time there is a rank the top 30-top 50 defenseman thread, I think Rielly and Lindholm are consistently listed far too high.

Good young players. Have no doubt they will end up really good players as they continue to develop. But they get ranked more on potential than actual play right now, IMO.

Nick Backstrom gets underrated in just about every center ranking list I've ever seen on the main board. Same thing with Giordano and d men.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Overrated-Trouba

Underrated-Gardiner

Trouba has been really impressive this season. If anything he's underrated here.

You mean the guy who is currently being compared to Lemieux in a different thread and Ovechkin in another thread is underrated?

Style is being compared to. Good to again know that that means = Mario.
This place still has ton of fans who only think he can shoot the puck and do nothing else.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Overrated - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (Glorified Matt Stajan)
Underrated - Sidney Crosby (When compared to past greats from wide open eras)

You serious? Crosby can't even outscore an 18 year old. Hes awful.

Crosbys entire legacy is manufactured by talking heads and you all buy the propaganda just like the millions who voted for Trump. Smoke and mirrors.

Crosby can thank Malkin and Kessel for his two cups.

rodney dangerfield

Dec 8, 2015
overrated: Chris Tanev no question. glorified 3D.
underrated: Nino Niederreiter. An almost 25+25 player and is really good on D.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Trouba has been really impressive this season. If anything he's underrated here.

Don't think he has played at a level that justifies the ridiculous asking price WPG fans were looking for in trades.

underrated: Nino Niederreiter. An almost 25+25 player and is really good on D.

Not a sexy pick, but Craig Smith is a very underrated player in a similar vein. Guy consistently has great possession stats as well.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Don't think he has played at a level that justifies the ridiculous asking price WPG fans were looking for in trades.

The price was high because they didn't want to trade him.

Enstrom- Trouba has been a great pairing.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Overrated: Toews followed closely by Doughty.

Underrated: Giroux, and Karlsson(on this site)

leafSSteelers79

Dec 7, 2016
Halifax
Liking these opinions. As for what is already said, i said durring the draft I may take Laine over Matthews. Laine is imo reciving the proper amount of praise. He really seems to be a force already who looks next in line after ovechkin as the leagues best sniper. His physicality and confidence remind me of the way ovechkin powers to consistent goals. He does not remind me of Lemieux. He doesnt have the hands, nore complete vision, to be compared to lemieux, he also plays with more of an edge. Matthews however does remind me of mario. Hes a big centerman with great hands and vision. That amazing goal he scored his four goal first game, where he seemingly effortlessly danced around 3 or 4 players then scored on a sneaky little shot, reminded me of mario big time. However, while I believe Liane has the potential to at least compare to ovechkin someday... I do not believe AM will ever be comoarable to ML. I am simply stating his style is similar. So while I do not feel they are close to the most over/underrated players, I do think Matthews is i tad overrated and Laine possibly a bit underrated.

Toews i hate to admit ive always found overrated. He is a great complete player. No weaknesses. But just doesnt have the offensive ability to be a true top 5 type guy. For the past few years i have argued that it isnt even close when comparing Toews and Crosby, due to crosbys superior offence generating abilities.

Im going to hold off a bit more giving my choices... i think it will cause a bit too much of a stir and i want to hear more of others choices...

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Overrated - Carey Price - He's a great goaltender, one of if not the best in the world today. I'm not disputing that.

Yet, the ball-washing he gets from the hockey world these days (Fans, media, employees, players, etc.) is completely over the top.

Underrated - Ryan O'Reilly - He may not be the fastest guy, but he's a super-intelligent , elite-level hockey player, can do it all. Why in the world Colorado drove this guy out of town is beyond me.

leafSSteelers79

Dec 7, 2016
Halifax
Overrated - Carey Price - He's a great goaltender, one of if not the best in the world today. I'm not disputing that.

Yet, the ball-washing he gets from the hockey world these days (Fans, media, employees, players, etc.) is completely over the top.

Underrated - Ryan O'Reilly - He may not be the fastest guy, but he's a super-intelligent , elite-level hockey player, can do it all. Why in the world Colorado drove this guy out of town is beyond me.

My favorite picks so far. Price is my overrated choice too. I agree 100% with everthing you said. And O'rielly is a great pick for underrated.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I've been getting a sense that Matthews may have been overrated having gone to Europe and not being able to be as easily compared to other prospects. The "but he plays among men now" thing. Who knows though.

He is on pace for a 65 point rookie season playing center, while having terrific advanced stats.

I am starting to feel the opposite. People are looking for any reason to put him down, and it's getting to the point where he is getting under rated.

What do you expect? Leaf fans say he is a future franchise C. He certainly has PPG C potential, where is he overrated?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Overrated: Players on other teams, especially those teams I don't like
Underrated: Players on the team I like.

acor

Jan 13, 2012
Is it wrong to say me too - and that I want to vote Toews for *both* categories?

Half the forums underrates the crap out of him and think he's on the worst contract in the league, or close.
Half of the forums thinks his career value is equal/comparable to Crosby.

The truth is somewhere in the middle.

Sorry, can you show those posts that claim that "Toews is equal/comparable to Crosby" ??? About 30 posts claiming that, won't be that difficult since "half of the forums" thinks that way...

Oh wait, maybe its just another straw man... I've never seen anyone saying Toews is better/equal to Crosby... At best, half of forums thought that pre'14 Toews was marginally better than pre'14 Kane, wich he really was. Since then, one of them took two massive steps forward, and the other- two steps back, and thats the reason of recent anti-Toews outrage... Nowdays no one says that Toews is better/equal to Kane (and certainly no one EVER said he is/was better/equal to Crosby), but that doesn't mean this was always that way...

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
OEL and Ekblad are overrated AF...barely anybody watches those teams so they just go with what they hear. Noticed as well that any young finnish player with good potential is overhyped on here (Laine is apparently Jesus).

Underrated: Risto, Giroux, Backstrom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad