Most Overrated and Underrated Players in the NHL?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Overrated: Brent Burns, Shea Weber, Roman Josi, Cam Fowler

Underrated: Erik Karlsson, PK Subban, Keith Yandle, Brian Campbell
Not gonna lie, I do actually think he is somewhat underrated. Yeah Yandle and Campbell have always been.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Radulov was highly underrated before the season started.
Heck some even had B. Ryan as a better player/point producer in this upcoming season..
He's proving a lot of people wrong.

Completely, 100% agree. As a Sens fan, I will eat crow on this. Good for Radulov and unfortunate for us in Ryan's case, even if he's been playing hurt for a while.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Sorry, but someone has to challenge this assertion....
What are Desharnais' secondary talents? He no longer has speed, he's very small, easily knocked down, easily stripped of the puck, always turns over puck as he can't protect. If he has not the time and space to make a set up pass he's completely useless otherwise. He is the clearly the weakest link on the team's top six.

I'll say that so far this season DD has looked very disinterested and lackluster in his play. He played well today though so hopefully he's working upwards out of his funk.

DD bashing and disrespect didn't just start recently or during times of deserved criticism though. DD has always been underrated and unappreciated...even when he was consistently putting up mostly 45-60 point seasons.

Mrbubble

Jul 20, 2008
Montreal
Eriksson: would have agreed last season, but seems to have forgotten how to score
Vrbata: Too inconsistent for my liking
Grubauer: Yes. He is a fine backup
Coburn: Watch him a little more, will ya? He is actually good.
Dano: no, he is a good player
Allen: Maybe overrated, but he isn't horrible

Eriksson has a bad start with only 11 Pts but he will pick it up (not that bad anyway). I think some are overreacting to that bad start because he had a lot of eyes on him because of the contract. I admit i didn't watch that many Canucks games this year...apparently he's now bad in his own zone...

Vrbata...yeah but he is a goalscorer. Nobody ever talk about him. Still a useful 2nd liner that most teams would want.

Coburn...i keep hearing that. You're a Tampa fan, you probably know better than me but man...when i see him play, he looks like a big dump Dman that could use more of his size to his advantage and is 0 effective in the offensive zone. Am i alone to witness all of his bad decisions and tell myself...damn this guy is not that good????

Dano is all hype...more spectacular/dynamic than effective. Im calling it now...he'll have a career similar to Ales Hemsky.

Jake Allen is not a goalie you want as your starter...inconsistent and almost never steal games. He is overrated because he had some short good stretches last year.

Anyway, that's my opinion based on what i saw. I don't expect people to agree with me since i dont rate them as others here do.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Underrated: Michael Raffl. For some reason he just clicks with Giroux and Voracek. Beauty goal tonight. Good two way player as well

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Always good to see the "Toews is better than Crosby(and I believe I saw that he's better than Ovie this time as well)" nonsense won't die.

Overrated:

Toews, Doughty, Trouba

Underrated:

Karlsson, Giroux, Brian Campbell

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
Dano is all hype...more spectacular/dynamic than effective. Im calling it now...he'll have a career similar to Ales Hemsky.

this couldn't be more wrong. gonna assume you've never watched this player in your life

Mrbubble

Jul 20, 2008
Montreal
this couldn't be more wrong. gonna assume you've never watched this player in your life

I have since i watch lot of your team's game. Sorry i just don't see what's so special about him except some spectacular passes here and there.

Don't just be a angry homer, tell what i should see from him that i am not. Ales Hemsky is not a bad player either.

Mar 14, 2011
Overrated: Johnny Gaudreau

Underrated: Josh Manson, Jeff Carter, Jordan Staal (Staal has arguably been one of the best shutdown/possession center in the league during the past few years).

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

I'm not sure what's more bizarre - the presumption that their play styles are anything even remotely similar, or that you seemingly consider this to be an insult. :)

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Travis Zajac is underrated as well...especially to those who thinks he isn't worth his contract. He's in that second tier of elite two way centers behind Kopitar, Toews and Bergeron

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
Overrated:

Tavares
Rielly
Stamkos
Toews (maybe not anymore)

Underrated:

Giroux
Backstrom
Pavelski
Zajac
Wennberg
Zucc
Vlasic (top 5 in the league imo)

Gunnar Staal

Mar 17, 2004
Overrated: Mikkel Boedker - I was never impressed by him. He put up meh numbers getting top-line and PP duty and people were praising him as the second coming this past spring and summer. Now he has completely underwhelmed and people are suddenly shocked?

Underrated: Oliver Ekman-Larsson - A list of underrated players and no one has mentioned OEL yet? I mean the dude is in Phoenix, but every time I see him play the dude is a beast. He'd be getting Norris consideration if he were in a major hockey market.

Andrei Markov - I keep forgetting about this guy myself, but the dude is a rock defensively and he just keeps putting up points in goddamn Montreal.

Matt Cullen - Goddamn what a treat it is to watch this guy play. Stud defensive center and penalty killer who can be a pretty damn good top six forward when needed. Did I mention the dude is 40 years old?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Eriksson has a bad start with only 11 Pts but he will pick it up (not that bad anyway). I think some are overreacting to that bad start because he had a lot of eyes on him because of the contract. I admit i didn't watch that many Canucks games this year...apparently he's now bad in his own zone...

Vrbata...yeah but he is a goalscorer. Nobody ever talk about him. Still a useful 2nd liner that most teams would want.

Coburn...i keep hearing that. You're a Tampa fan, you probably know better than me but man...when i see him play, he looks like a big dump Dman that could use more of his size to his advantage and is 0 effective in the offensive zone. Am i alone to witness all of his bad decisions and tell myself...damn this guy is not that good????

Jake Allen is not a goalie you want as your starter...inconsistent and almost never steal games. He is overrated because he had some short good stretches last year.

Anyway, that's my opinion based on what i saw. I don't expect people to agree with me since i dont rate them as others here do.

This is false. He most deffinently has stolen games for the Blues. The rest is accurate though lol

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Overrated -Nikita Tryamkin

UNderrated- Jack Eichel (when it comes to elite discussion) and Justin Schultz, Cam Atkinson, Jeff Carter

leafSSteelers79

Dec 7, 2016
Halifax
Most overrated and most underrated player in NHL?

In my opinion, i know who i would vote for both categories... im curious how many people agree.... i have a feeling not many will... but either way im curious to hear some names thrown around.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Overrated: Austin Matthews
Underrated: Laine

Apparently Matthews can do it all but Laine can only "shoot" the puck.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Overrated: Austin Matthews
Underrated: Laine

Apparently Matthews can do it all but Laine can only "shoot" the puck.

You mean the guy who is currently being compared to Lemieux in a different thread and Ovechkin in another thread is underrated?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You mean the guy who is currently being compared to Lemieux in a different thread and Ovechkin in another thread is underrated?

Cause as know, comparatively Matthews is 8x better than Crosby

First NHL game: Matthews 4 goals
Crosby: 1 assist

An assist is only like half a goal so, Matthews is 8x better.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Around HF Boards the most overrated player currently is Patrick Laine. Without a shadow of a doubt. The guy is a great player, but he's more Corey Perry than he is Alex Ovechkin(why people take being compared to an MVP/Rocket Winner as an insult I will never understand).

Around the league I think it's either OEL or Toews as most overrated. This time last year it was definitely Toews, but I think people have started accepting that he's a great player who was propped up a bit by fantastic teammates/linemates. Again, this is not me saying Toews is a bad player, this is me saying he's great, but not a legend or a top 5 player like people would argue in the past.

OEL is creeping up on him though. This is not a top 10 Dman at all. Not even close really. There are at least 15 Dmen I'd take before OEL. Again, this is not me saying he's a bad player, it's me saying he's not a godsend like he has been made out to be in the past.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00