Confirmed with Link: Morrissey bridge: 2 years, $3.15M AAV

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
While I applaud Morrissey for having the confidence to bet on himself, I don't think I'd have the balls to turn down the big money long-term deal.

He got $6.3m on the bridge and he could have gotten $40m+ on a 7/8 year deal. Every player is only a couple of significant concussions away from retirement. I'm just too conservative to take that gamble personally. Also, I wonder whether there is any risk that a future lockout could change the salary landscape moving forward. Another risk that Morrissey is taking by signing a bridge, IMO.

Either way, nice to have him back! He's one of my favorites!

Reactions: GNP and scelaton

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
While I applaud Morrissey for having the confidence to bet on himself, I don't think I'd have the balls to turn down the big money long-term deal.

He got $6.3m on the bridge and he could have gotten $40m+ on a 7/8 year deal. Every player is only a couple of significant concussions away from retirement. I'm just too conservative to take that gamble personally. Also, I wonder whether there is any risk that a future lockout could change the salary landscape moving forward. Another risk that Morrissey is taking by signing a bridge, IMO.

Either way, nice to have him back! He's one of my favorites!

:laugh: I know what you mean.
But it would be easier to have the balls to make that bet with a few mil in the bank. :laugh:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
So the question of who should get the powerplay time is a really interesting one. Let's say they go with the 4-1D
Buff is pretty much automatically 1pp.
Myers did a really great job last year on the powerplay. Has warts in his own end, but the power play was really effective. Will he give Winnipeg a discount and is he here for the long haul.
Trouba: Is a stud. He seems like he could do really well on the powerplay. He doesn't seem like he factors in the long scheme of things by refusing to sign a long term deal this summer. Do you pump up his value for a trade? possibly make Winnipeg enticing by giving him the power play time. He is fast, strong has a good shot.
Mo: Is a more cerebral player than Trouba well less naturally gifted. He is a rock. He has always been a great two way player. If you want him to stay you need to give him powerplay time. He is the only legit top 4 D on his side.
They all have good cases to make for why that spot on 2nd pp should go to them, so who should really get it?

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I thinking signing Myers could be a really big mistake.

Considering Myer's health problems ( hips and knees) you don't want to get into really deep black water with him. If Myer's could stay healthy like he was last year, many teams would be interested in him.

Going past 3 years is a little scary on Myers, considering he'll likely want $ 4-5.5 mil per season. If the Jets can sign him at $ 4 mil over 3 years, I think that would be good. I also think as a free agent someone may pay him in the $ 5-6 million per year range. Just how much do you go on Myers ?? Myers will be looking for term--like 5 years, I don't know if it's wise to go that much term ???

I wonder if NHL clubs can buy insurance to cover a players contract obligations, should he have a long term or career ending injury ??? Be good if they had that.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

Considering Myer's health problems ( hips and knees) you don't want to get into really deep black water with him. If Myer's could stay healthy like he was last year, many teams would be interested in him.

Going past 3 years is a little scary on Myers, considering he'll likely want $ 4-5.5 mil per season. If the Jets can sign him at $ 4 mil over 3 years, I think that would be good. I also think as a free agent someone may pay him in the $ 5-6 million per year range. Just how much do you go on Myers ?? Myers will be looking for term--like 5 years, I don't know if it's wise to go that much term ???

I wonder if NHL clubs can buy insurance to cover a players contract obligations, should he have a long term or career ending injury ??? Be good if they had that.
A 5 year extension for Myers?!

No, No, no thanks.

I wouldn't go 3 at 4 mil either.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
A 5 year extension for Myers?!

No, No, no thanks.

I wouldn't go 3 at 4 mil either.

I think the Jets will hold off on Myers til after this upcoming season, and see how he plays, and see how his body holds up.:huh:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Then Josh shouldn't be blamed for not committing long term until he is able to prove what he feels he is capable of. Playing in a totally defensive role has repricusions on management as Josh isn't able to showcase his offensive talent.
I don't think it is fair to say that Morrissey plays in a purely defensive role. He plays on the top pairing with a pretty good partner and on most shifts has some pretty talented forwards to work with. What he doesn't get is PP time, but he isn't likely to get much any time soon with the Jets running a 4-1 PP setting up right to left with Buff as the #1 QB. Maybe over time the Jets set up a mirror image run from the left with Morrissey as the QB, but this is not a guarantee. Nor should Morrissey expect it or feel he deserves it.

While I would have preferred a long term deal for Josh, it sounds like both sides were quite far apart on a long term deal. Better to preserve the relationship between Morrissey and the organization with a bridge and see how things play out. I do like some of the possibilities of having extra cap space available to meet any needs that come up.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I think Trouba signing here long term is a pretty remote possibility. Not impossible yet - but pretty unlikely. I think he has revealed his intentions.
any player that had any real wish to stay would have agreed to a 1 year deal like stone. a 1 year deal is not to hard to come up with if you want one. trouba has no desire whats so ever to re-sign here. he wants free agency as soon as possible so he can in his own words maximize his value. what would have been the point of all this if he signs. he wants a 31 team bidding war. good riddance.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
And Morrissey knows that and in all likelihood asked for a number close to that amount. Chevy wasn't willing to make the team weaker this year to do that and could point to Morrissey's stats so far as not being worth it at this point. So he bridged and adjusted his long-term plan for the team to make the space available to pay Josh in 2 years time.
I think you make a good point. It appears like many top players coming out of their ELC's are looking for deals that would pay them in a manner as if they have already developed into the player they believe they will become. Maybe you save a bit signing now but in most cases the player has already factored maximum development into their long term asking price so I don't see much of a savings.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I though this is Josh Morrissey thread? :laugh:

Its bash Myers thread, the guy is getting hammered in many threads now.

We now know Jets are an elite team.
We are thowing away a good player.:naughty:
I didn't say great .....

Previous it was the likes of.
Stuart
Hainsey
Thorburn
Glass
Etc.

Jets have come along way.

What i like about Myers , he comes to play when games on the line. He made key and critical contributions in that last year of playoffs.

Jets need to find a way to draft a solid right hand dman next year. Really bad .
Not looking so good if Poolman us your top pair 3 years from now .
Go Jets Go

About Josh, his gonna get better.
Hope he stays long term in the future.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I though this is Josh Morrissey thread? :laugh:

Its bash Myers thread, the guy is getting hammered in many threads now.

We now know Jets are an elite team.
We are thowing away a good player.:naughty:
I didn't say great .....

Previous it was the likes of.
Stuart
Hainsey
Thorburn
Glass
Etc.

Jets have come along way.

What i like about Myers , he comes to play when games on the line. He made key and critical contributions in that last year of playoffs.

Jets need to find a way to draft a solid right hand dman next year. Really bad .
Not looking so good if Poolman us your top pair 3 years from now .
Go Jets Go
We need someone who doesn't see themselves as an offensive D but would rather play Pk than pp.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Maybe.....that’s a pretty big gamble that Chevy is likely going to lose and then have to pay Josh significantly more then a deal now for no reason in the end......but maybe Chevy is trying to hit a grand slam as you say. Only logical explanation so far provided that I’ve read here.
You keep saying it will cost the Jets significantly more to sign Josh in 2 years. How are you so certain of this? I think in this day and age top young players are asking for top dollar coming out of their ELC's. Most of us had Josh's comparables in the 5 - 5.5 range. What if Morrissey was looking for a deal as if he was scoring 50+ points. What if his ask was 6.5 - 7.0? Do you sign him anyways, or do you take advantage of 2 cheap years and then sign him in this range in 2 years? I'd push for top dollar long term or a bridge if I was in Morrissey's position.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
We need someone who doesn't see themselves as an offensive D but would rather play Pk than pp.

Well without Myers

Possibly no Trouba

And an old Buff.

That right side #%$# in 3 years.

Topic back to Morrissey.
Hope he breaks out offensively
Offense from our defense will be a challenge sooner than we think.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
You’re missing the point. Morrissey wants to eventually be in a spot to showcase his full potential. He has yet to be given that chance. When he does he can maximize his earnings. There is no narrative out to get him. You’re reading too much into things.
I’m missing the point? Lol, pretty sure you are as well.

Where and when did I say anyone is out to get him? I think you are not reading enough of anything if that is how u interpreted my last post.

What Morrissey wants is the exact same thing every player that plays the game wants, and the point you are not getting is a team does not cater to what players want, the cater to what is best for the team.

Last I looked, the team finished top 5 for power play % and goals, along with finishing second in the league and making the conference final.

That verifies that Morrissey was used exactly as he should be used.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't think it is fair to say that Morrissey plays in a purely defensive role. He plays on the top pairing with a pretty good partner and on most shifts has some pretty talented forwards to work with. What he doesn't get is PP time, but he isn't likely to get much any time soon with the Jets running a 4-1 PP setting up right to left with Buff as the #1 QB. Maybe over time the Jets set up a mirror image run from the left with Morrissey as the QB, but this is not a guarantee. Nor should Morrissey expect it or feel he deserves it.

While I would have preferred a long term deal for Josh, it sounds like both sides were quite far apart on a long term deal. Better to preserve the relationship between Morrissey and the organization with a bridge and see how things play out. I do like some of the possibilities of having extra cap space available to meet any needs that come up.

He gets the most dzone starts against the toughest competition on the team so his role is more defensively oriented just by those factors alone. The Jets attack last year was more centered down the right from our defense with the LD playing more of a dump the puck in/support role offensively. Which is why I find the Myers at LD experiment so baffling as he will be asked to play more of a cover role to Buff and he isn't all that great defensively with his reads and gaps. So I think its fair to say that his role been more defense focused to date, not saying he doesn't still contribute offensively but he likely doesn't have the green light to go for it offensively like Buff, Myers or Trouba. There is a noticeable difference when he has the green light, in games where we are trailing and he plays very aggressively offensively he has looks dominant at times. He generally doesn't play that way unless its the third and we are trailing which to me looks like a coaching/tactic decision on Maurice's part. Which imo is fine as our best demen in their own end in the top 4 last year both played on the left in Morrissey and Toby while our right side is more offensivley oriented.

As far as PP, given what Maurice has said to the press about the next step for Josh was to PP a QB I would say its a pretty safe bet that he and the coaching staff/org have had conversations on what his role will be going forward. In the news article he even mentioned that he had a conversation with Agent, Chevy, Simmons, Heisigner and Chipman the day prior to signing. I would say there is a clear understanding about what Josh's long term aspirations are as well as what management envisions for him.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I’m missing the point? Lol, pretty sure you are as well.

Where and when did I say anyone is out to get him? I think you are not reading enough of anything if that is how u interpreted my last post.

What Morrissey wants is the exact same every player that plays the game wants, and the point you are not getting is a team does not cater to what players want, the cater to what is best for the team.

Last I looked, the team finished top 5 for power play % and goals, along with finishing second in the league and making the conference final.

That verifies that Morrissey was used exactly as he should be used.

:facepalm: Your ability to twist and manipulate what was actually said is astounding.

You implied that what was originally said was that someone was out to get Morrissey when that wasn’t the case at all. All he was saying was that Morrissey wasn’t given every opportunity to maximize his potential. Yes, everyone knows he goal is to win games. That is almost completely irrelevant to an individual’s performance when discussing contracts. I was not arguing against that so maybe get your head out of the sand. Morrissey can get a bigger long term contract in two years when his role will likely have expanded. I am saying nothing more, nothing less.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
You keep saying it will cost the Jets significantly more to sign Josh in 2 years. How are you so certain of this? I think in this day and age top young players are asking for top dollar coming out of their ELC's. Most of us had Josh's comparables in the 5 - 5.5 range. What if Morrissey was looking for a deal as if he was scoring 50+ points. What if his ask was 6.5 - 7.0? Do you sign him anyways, or do you take advantage of 2 cheap years and then sign him in this range in 2 years? I'd push for top dollar long term or a bridge if I was in Morrissey's position.

I’m guessing you didn’t read all my posts based on your response which is ok. Let me repeat my previous comments that are related to your response:

- I stated assuming Josh is asking compared to his comparables....IE 5-5.5 million (good guess by the way, that was my exact number in my head). If you want to use completely unrealistic numbers like 6.5-7 now well then that blows everything out of the water. That’s like me claiming 4 million would of had him signed. Let’s stay realistic though. That’s like saying will ask for 14 million per year. We should use his comparables which falls in the 5-5.5 range long term.

- I stated significantly more in two years and defined that as 25-30%. This 5.5 becomes 6.5-7+ million in two years by delaying it.

- To-date Wheelee has posted the only logical reason for Chevy to willing do a bridge (that I’ve read).....albeit its a questionable long shot imo.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
:facepalm: Your ability to twist and manipulate what was actually said is astounding.

You implied that what was originally said was that someone was out to get Morrissey when that wasn’t the case at all. All he was saying was that Morrissey wasn’t given every opportunity to maximize his potential. Yes, everyone knows he goal is to win games. That is almost completely irrelevant to an individual’s performance when discussing contracts. I was not arguing against that so maybe get your head out of the sand. Morrissey can get a bigger long term contract in two years when his role will likely have expanded. I am saying nothing more, nothing less.
Lol, provide me the quote where I said someone was out to get Morrissey.

What are you even talking bout

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I’m guessing you didn’t read all my posts based on your response which is ok. Let me repeat my previous comments that are related to your response:

- I stated assuming Josh is asking compared to his comparables....IE 5-5.5 million (good guess by the way, that was my exact number in my head). If you want to use completely unrealistic numbers like 6.5-7 now well then that blows everything out of the water. That’s like me claiming 4 million would of had him signed. Let’s stay realistic though. That’s like saying will ask for 14 million per year. We should use his comparables which falls in the 5-5.5 range long term.

- I stated significantly more in two years and defined that as 25-30%. This 5.5 becomes 6.5-7+ million in two years by delaying it.

- To-date Wheelee has posted the only logical reason for Chevy to willing do a bridge (that I’ve read).....albeit its a questionable long shot imo.
I think it is a mistake to believe Morrissey was willing to sign long term for what we all believe his comparables to be. If this was the case he would be signed long ago. Everything I heard Morrissey wanted a bridge and the way to ensure that is not move off a number you know is higher than the other side is willing to go. I think it is very reasonable for him to say pay me long term as if I become the player I believe I will be in 2 years. If not this go short term and negotiate again in 2 years when I've proven I'm that player.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
In 2 years from now you're not going to get Morrissey for 6M-6.5M. Trouba just got 5.5M for 1 year with another ARB year to go. If Morrissey decides to go to arbitration in two years he'll get 6M and still have a year with ARB rights to go. A long term contract for Morrissey in 2 years is going to start with a 7, possibly an 8.

Slavin who's better than Morrissey today starts his 7 year, 5.3M longterm contract, for Morrissey in 2 years 6.5M on longterm deal is a good guess right now if he keeps his play.

Sure Morrissey could follow Trouba but why would he if he likes it in Winnipeg and wants to be a Jet longterm?

Defensive D-man are worth less in money than offensive players.

Last edited:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I think it is a mistake to believe Morrissey was willing to sign long term for what we all believe his comparables to be. If this was the case he would be signed long ago. Everything I heard Morrissey wanted a bridge and the way to ensure that is not move off a number you know is higher than the other side is willing to go. I think it is very reasonable for him to say pay me long term as if I become the player I believe I will be in 2 years. If not this go short term and negotiate again in 2 years when I've proven I'm that player.

You’re using completely unrealistic numbers to try and justify a bridge, why?

His comparables have signed for 5-5.5, it’s completely asinine to for him to demand more.....like 30% more. If that’s his stance, then we’re looking at Trouba 2.0 again.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
A good compromise deal on Morrissey - Judging by how Chevy operates, he likely tried to sign Josh at $ 4.5 to $ 5 mil over 6 or 7 years. What Chevy has done is estimate how a player will develop, and what he'd be worth in his prime, and sign him for a lot less while he is young and hungry--like the wolf. An example of this is Scheifele, who is signed for around $ 6.2 mil, but would likely get $ 9- 10 mil per season right now as an unrestricted free agent. A very smart way to retain all your great players, under the cap. Chevy is a shrewd man when it comes to this.

From Morrisseys point of view and his agent -they are seeing the Jet's throwing big money around like Wheeler who'd out of his prime and signed for $ 8.25 mil on a 5 year extension. Also there is Helly, Little and other examples. Morrissey also looks at the Trouba situation, and this has caused a lot of "incertainty" in his mind, as to what he'll be worth in 2-3 years, when he's closer to his prime.

I think what happened here was a "saw off"-- Chevy wanted long term at a "great price" and Morrissey thought he'd be worth quite a bit more in 2-3 years, and would have regretted signing a long term deal, so he opted to wait it out. Smart move for Josh.

I can see Josh thinking like this, and I don't blame him at all, as he'd like to be paid what he's worth--just like the other guys are getting.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Just doing some number crunching and there are about 4 different market brackets for young dmen exiting their entry level deals:

There is the elite of the elite (Doughty, OEL, Karalsson, Ekblad etc) They average roughly 10% of the cap which would be a 7.9 million cap hit on today's cap.

There is the high end impact dmen category (Hamilton, Paryko, Jones etc) They average roughly 7.45% of the cap which would be an AAV of 5.9 million on today's cap

There is then the mid range (Rielly, Orlav, Mathesen etc) They average 6.5% of the cap or an AAV of around $5.1 million.

The defense first group (Hamonic, Larson, Matta, Pesce etc) They average 5.73% of the cap or around an AAV of $4.5 million.

There is a pretty wide discrepancy here. I would wager Josh sees himself closer to the Jones category and the Jets likely can only afford to pay him in the Mid range category. Something fair would likely be in the 5.5 to 5.6 million range but the Jets would be far too tight against the cap at that rate.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You’re using completely unrealistic numbers to try and justify a bridge, why?

His comparables have signed for 5-5.5, it’s completely asinine to for him to demand more.....like 30% more. If that’s his stance, then we’re looking at Trouba 2.0 again.

Using comparable cap hit %'s his market is actually 5.25 to 5.9 on a 79.5 million cap. The mid to upper end of that range isn't something that the team can afford this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad