Confirmed with Link: Morrissey bridge: 2 years, $3.15M AAV

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Using comparable cap hit %'s his market is actually 5.25 to 5.9 on a 79.5 million cap. The mid to upper end of that range isn't something that the team can afford this year.

Agreed have to adjust comparables for new cap. We absolutely could afford that cap hit.....had we traded Myers or MP. Priorities, it’s all about priorities. Some bridges are good, some are bad. Bridging your top D for two years when you know it’s very likely Trouba is gone in less then 12 months sounds like a bad idea to me. Even if we assume Josh does sign in two years, it’s going to cost us like 25-30% more then had we signed him now.......which makes us less competitive in two years.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agreed have to adjust comparables for new cap. We absolutely could afford that cap hit.....had we traded Myers or MP. Priorities, it’s all about priorities. Some bridges are good, some are bad. Bridging your top D for two years when you know it’s very likely Trouba is gone in less then 12 months sounds like a bad idea to me. Even if we assume Josh does sign in two years, it’s going to cost us like 25-30% more then had we signed him now.......which makes us less competitive in two years.

No disagreements from me. Had we moved Myers we easily could have afforded Josh. I was always on the sign Josh long term train.

Reactions: Hunter368

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
No disagreements from me. Had we moved Myers we easily could have afforded Josh. I was always on the sign Josh long term train.
They were never moving him for many reasons. The idea to get worse for this year just to sign a player long term would never happen. If true though very unlikely the could have freed up money elsewhere long before trading a myers with trouba all but surely gone.

Reactions: Georgetown Al

Moon Man

Oct 3, 2015
Wheeler Contract >> Morrissey Contract >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Trouba Contract.

Reactions: Oseductive

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
You’re using completely unrealistic numbers to try and justify a bridge, why?

His comparables have signed for 5-5.5, it’s completely asinine to for him to demand more.....like 30% more. If that’s his stance, then we’re looking at Trouba 2.0 again.
I just think some players aren't swayed by comparables. They see themselves at a certain value and are willing to prove their worth. The Jets are in a cap position where they have to be careful with every penny so it makes sense to circle back in a couple of years and find the right long term number.

Reactions: Oseductive

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I just think some players aren't swayed by comparables. They see themselves at a certain value and are willing to prove their worth. The Jets are in a cap position where they have to be careful with every penny so it makes sense to circle back in a couple of years and find the right long term number.

Without doubt circling back is the “safe” move, of course paying everyone full market value plus is also a good way not to get any competitive advantage. Very good chance Josh is going to now get very expensive in two years. Imagine if we bridged Mark S and had to pay him 9+ million.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Without doubt circling back is the “safe” move, of course paying everyone full market value plus is also a good way not to get any competitive advantage. Very good chance Josh is going to now get very expensive in two years. Imagine if we bridged Mark S and had to pay him 9+ million.
Agreed on Scheifele, but he was eager to sign for what comparables were getting at the time. Morrissey obviously wasn't otherwise he would have been signed long term. So Chevy had 2 choices. Go above what he was comfortable with or work out a bridge.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agreed on Scheifele, but he was eager to sign for what comparables were getting at the time. Morrissey obviously wasn't otherwise he would have been signed long term. So Chevy had 2 choices. Go above what he was comfortable with or work out a bridge.

We really have no way of knowing this. As I pointed out earlier there is a very wide range in the market, it really depends on how each party sees his comparable players or how much cap space the Jets had.

They easily could have disagreed on where in the market he fits due to him not having an opportunity to produce points.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

I like Josh ALOT, I’ve said multi times this summer he’s the guy to build around on our D for the future not Trouba. Josh is a very smart young man, he knows the Jets are in a tough spot with Trouba, he also knows he likely can earn significantly more in two years........instead of signing for a fair deal now he’s played hardball with the Jets and refused to sign a long term deal at market value. Forcing Chevy to bridge him or sit him, sitting him would mean a slow team start. Makes me look at Josh a bit differently now TBH, but all’s fair in love & war I guess. Chevy elected to go with bridge option which offers a bit of good will & cap flexibility (for two yrs) at the cost of 25-30% more in cap hit likely in two years.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I like Josh ALOT, I’ve said multi times this summer he’s the guy to build around on our D for the future not Trouba. Josh is a very smart young man, he knows the Jets are in a tough spot with Trouba, he also knows he likely can earn significantly more in two years........instead of signing for a fair deal now he’s played hardball with the Jets and refused to sign a long term deal at market value. Forcing Chevy to bridge him or sit him, sitting him would mean a slow team start. Makes me look at Josh a bit differently now TBH, but all’s fair in love & war I guess. Chevy elected to go with bridge option which offers a bit of good will & cap flexibility (for two yrs) at the cost of 25-30% more in cap hit likely in two years.
Pretty much agree with your take, but also believe Morrissey already included the 25% in his current ask, so in 2 years I don't think his cap hit will be much different then he is currently asking.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Pretty much agree with your take, but also believe Morrissey already included the 25% in his current ask, so in 2 years I don't think his cap hit will be much different then he is currently asking.

Hard to say, but that’s what I said basically. I stated he refused potentially to sign at fair market value above......bending Chevy over more or less due to Trouba situation and desire for a fast team start.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

How can you be so confident that Morrissey is going to be so much more expensive to sign but also refuse to believe that Morrissey himself doesn’t think he will earn way more after a bridge deal, potentially 7+???

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
How can you be so confident that Morrissey is going to be so much more expensive to sign but also refuse to believe that Morrissey himself doesn’t think he will earn way more after a bridge deal, potentially 7+???

Your misunderstanding what I've said and not read all my posts. I'll just post related points to your post.....not all my points.

- Josh will get 25-30% more then he would cost long term now in two years due to further development, increased offensive oppurtunities, cap increasing and Trouba likely long gone.

- I've also stated his comparables are currently at 5-5.5 million, so assuming he's asked for 7 million seems unlikely.

- I've also stated its of course possible he's demanded 6.5-7.0 million and refused to budge bc he knows Chevy is screwed without him bc Trouba is virtually assured gone next summer and best case in two years just when his bridge is done. So it's possible Josh is bending Chevy over and demanding a completely unfair market value deal if he's being absolutely ruthless.

1stDan

Jan 6, 2018
He is a cancer. Did you notice how the Avs started winning once he was traded and its weird Ottawa when down hill real fast when they got Duchene.

Could be I admit to not following his career very closely.

I just recognized a good amount of skill when I saw him play.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Your misunderstanding what I've said and not read all my posts. I'll just post related points to your post.....not all my points.

- Josh will get 25-30% more then he would cost long term now in two years due to further development, increased offensive oppurtunities, cap increasing and Trouba likely long gone.

- I've also stated his comparables are currently at 5-5.5 million, so assuming he's asked for 7 million seems unlikely.

- I've also stated its of course possible he's demanded 6.5-7.0 million and refused to budge bc he knows Chevy is screwed without him bc Trouba is virtually assured gone next summer and best case in two years just when his bridge is done. So it's possible Josh is bending Chevy over and demanding a completely unfair market value deal if he's being absolutely ruthless.
I don't know if it is as harsh as you are portraying it. It may be as simple as Josh not wanting to commit a large % of his prime years to what his established comparables are being paid, and remained consistent with his ask for a bridge deal. I think Morrissey sees the opportunity with the Jets to be an every situation #1 D and doesn't want to spend his mid and late 20's making $5 - 5.5, when his true market value will soon be well above that.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I don't know if it is as harsh as you are portraying it. It may be as simple as Josh not wanting to commit a large % of his prime years to what his established comparables are being paid, and remained consistent with his ask for a bridge deal. I think Morrissey sees the opportunity with the Jets to be an every situation #1 D and doesn't want to spend his mid and late 20's making $5 - 5.5, when his true market value will soon be well above that.

We're saying the same thing, just from two different POV.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It seems that quite a few of the good young RFAs are wanting bridge deals if they can't get very lucrative long-term deals: Nurse, Reinhart, Theodore, Morrissey. It makes me wonder whether agents are now looking beyond the possible lock-out / walk-out and anticipating that it might be more favourable for their clients to sign in that context. Also, they might be anticipating another bump in the salary cap with the addition of a franchise in Seattle, sort of like the "Vegas bump" that seems to have pushed up the cap a bit this past season.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Yup, in 2 years Buff will be 35, Trouba and Kulikov will be gone, and everyone else not good or not proven, so there is a reasonable chance he will be the best D by far on a SC contending team, sporting an A on his jersey. How much will that be worth?
The risk, as always, is injury. I wouldn't take that risk but, then again, I am not 23 and invulnerable.

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017

I wonder how much of Trouba's I'm leaving talking is sinking into Morrissey...
They make a great pair hopefully Morrissey stays and does not follow Troubs…
As for PP time f*** Troubs… Give it all to Morrissey...

Fire Chevy

Dec 8, 2017
Winnipeg
I know it's a very high chance Trouba leaves after this season but with Morrissey bridging and having almost 24m for Trouba, Connor and Laine if the Jets give Trouba a 7-8x7.5m deal and are a top contending team maybe Trouba bites I pray it happens

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I know it's a very high chance Trouba leaves after this season but with Morrissey bridging and having almost 24m for Trouba, Connor and Laine if the Jets give Trouba a 7-8x7.5m deal and are a top contending team maybe Trouba bites I pray it happens

8 is would be a huge overpayment for Trouba, no matter how you slice and dice it. There’s no way Morrissey would sign for anything less than 7.5M in that case, and that pairing is not worth almost 16M.

Or I don’t know, the bad precedent was already set by the Wheeler contract so maybe it doesn’t matter that much anymore.

Fire Chevy

Dec 8, 2017
Winnipeg
8 is would be a huge overpayment for Trouba, no matter how you slice and dice it. There’s no way Morrissey would sign for anything less than 7.5M in that case, and that pairing is not worth almost 16M.

Or I don’t know, the bad precedent was already set by the Wheeler contract so maybe it doesn’t matter that much anymore.
yeah I get it would 100% affect Morrissey i mean't 7-8 years on 7.5m for UFA years wouldn't be horrible he would get that on the open market

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I wish we had signed Morrissey, traded Trouba and Myers and not re-signed Wheeler this early. Instead let's get rid of a guy who doesn't want to be here and a guy who shouldn't be part of the Jets long term plans (Myers), even if these guys were traded mostly for futures and given ourself more options with Wheeler and gone all in on Stone next summer. Taking a small step back this season would not have been the end of the world to be a contender for years to come.

Now we are pretty much out of contention for Stone who could have helped us contend for a very long time (and is a Manitoba guy as well9 and now Morrissey can really play hardball in time for his next contact when there is going to be no Trouba and a Buff approaching the end of his contact.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I wish we had signed Morrissey, traded Trouba and Myers and not re-signed Wheeler this early. Instead let's get rid of a guy who doesn't want to be here and a guy who shouldn't be part of the Jets long term plans (Myers), even if these guys were traded mostly for futures and given ourself more options with Wheeler and gone all in on Stone next summer. Taking a small step back this season would not have been the end of the world to be a contender for years to come.

Now we are pretty much out of contention for Stone who could have helped us contend for a very long time (and is a Manitoba guy as well9 and now Morrissey can really play hardball in time for his next contact when there is going to be no Trouba and a Buff approaching the end of his contact.

The main problem with your plan is that there's no guarantee Stone signs here. If he chooses elsewhere, then you're either rushing to re-sign Wheeler, even though he's already tested Free Agency, or you push the can down the road another 3-5 years for those "futures" to possibly pan out. Then you're on the last couple of years of some very friendly contracts, having wasted the prime years of those cheap deals on a mini-rebuild. Oh, and your right side is nobody who's on the roster right now, since who is going to trade a younger cheaper right defenceman for an older defenceman who is apparently rushing to UFA status?

All because you want to trade someone who supposedly doesn't want to be here.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Maybe, maybe not but it likely makes the Jets more competitive in the next two years.

IMO a good move for the Jets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad