Confirmed with Link: Morrissey bridge: 2 years, $3.15M AAV

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
With Josh Morrissey now signed in Winnipeg, there are many NHL insiders suggesting the bar was just set for Edmonton’s Darnell Nurse and that a deal should come in the next few days.
I wouldn't put it past chia to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
With Josh Morrissey now signed in Winnipeg, there are many NHL insiders suggesting the bar was just set for Edmonton’s Darnell Nurse and that a deal should come in the next few days.
Nurse signed, 3.2M x 2

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
2 to 3 mins more a night, adds up over a 82 game season, and for a young defenseman like Josh, have the assignment of handling the league's best lineups, night in and night out, has an effect on him over the course of a season.

We need Josh playing defense first, ensuring he develops fully into one of the best defenders in the league. Once he has mastered that, you can slowly start integrating him in to the PP, which I fully expect to see this season.

Issue with Trouba? How so? He was offered a sizable contract by most accounts, one that would reflect a number one Dman, he turned it down for reason many believe have nothing to do with usage.

Bottom line it Josh is getting 1st pairing minutes, against first lines, other teams best, night in and night out. His primary focus is to play D, not to score PP points. The fact that we had a top PP across the league tells us we do not need Josh's offense on the PP anytime soon. We are doing just fine there.

With that said, I am sure Maurice feels he can handle some xtended duties and I fully believe we will see him get some time on that second unit.

Then Josh shouldn't be blamed for not committing long term until he is able to prove what he feels he is capable of. Playing in a totally defensive role has repricusions on management as Josh isn't able to showcase his offensive talent.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Then Josh shouldn't be blamed for not committing long term until he is able to prove what he feels he is capable of. Playing in a totally defensive role has repricusions on management as Josh isn't able to showcase his offensive talent.
who blaming him.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Morrissey feels weight lifted: Jets D-man discusses two-year deal

“The Jets had a lot going on this summer so for me, we got a later start at getting things going and I think it just felt like it was the best move for both sides at this time,” said Morrissey

“Everything has kind of come together quite quickly and amicably. We had a great chat the other day, my agent (Gerry Johansson), myself, Chevy (general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff), Larry (Simmons, assistant general manager) and Chipper (Jets governor Mark Chipman), and just kind of outlined what the future looks like. That went great and I’m really happy to be back to the rink.”

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Yes. This team is constructed to win the Stanley Cup right ****ing now. Why do you hate that so much?

Where did I say hate it?

I said if that’s the strategy then we all should prepare for a mini rebuild in about 3-5 years.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Trouba I think was a lost case. Josh we could/should of locked him up long term. If we resign freaking Myers I’m going to have to walk away from the forum for a week or more bc it’s such a bad idea.
Why?
Do you really think Chevy will give a top 6 defenceman a top 4 contract?
Nobody has a problem with Myers ... it's his contract that is a problem. If Chevy signs him at a team friendly contract seriously why would you complain.

Reactions: GNP

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Why?
Do you really think Chevy will give a top 6 defenceman a top 4 contract?
Nobody has a problem with Myers ... it's his contract that is a problem. If Chevy signs him at a team friendly contract seriously why would you complain.

Do you think Myers is going to take a massive pay cut to play on our bottom pairing or be paid as a bottom pairing when there are teams out there willing to pay him much more? Why would you think that?

Heck let’s sign Laine to 2 million per year then for 8 years if we’re talking fantasy.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
What are you talking about, seriously? Read the poster's post I retorted to, to get a full understanding as to what you are replying to, before replying.

Fyi
True North's mission statement is not: "Get Josh Morrissey as many points possible to allow him the best earning opportunity."

Fyi
We finished top 5 for PowerPlay % and Power Play goals

Fyi
We finished 2nd in the league

Fyi
We went to a conference finals

Fyi
All done with Morrissey getting 21 minutes a night learning to play DEFENSE against the best players in the world.

You’re missing the point. Morrissey wants to eventually be in a spot to showcase his full potential. He has yet to be given that chance. When he does he can maximize his earnings. There is no narrative out to get him. You’re reading too much into things.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Trouba I think was a lost case. Josh we could/should of locked him up long term. If we resign freaking Myers I’m going to have to walk away from the forum for a week or more bc it’s such a bad idea.

We would have had to trade another player, either Myers or Perreault to make more room for Morrissey. (I am assuming Chevy offered him all he had available.)

I agree that getting Morrissey long term was very important. The inability to get Trouba locked up made a LT deal for Morrissey much more important.

I think Myers is going to be extended, or at least I think Chevy will try. I only hope that it will not be for too much or too long but I expect it to be both. It is just a question of when he will be signed.

Reactions: Jedub and GNP

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
We would have had to trade another player, either Myers or Perreault to make more room for Morrissey. (I am assuming Chevy offered him all he had available.)

I agree that getting Morrissey long term was very important. The inability to get Trouba locked up made a LT deal for Morrissey much more important.

I think Myers is going to be extended, or at least I think Chevy will try. I only hope that it will not be for too much or too long but I expect it to be both. It is just a question of when he will be signed.

Agree.....Myers should of been shipped out on the first plane to make room for Josh.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Agree.....Myers should of been shipped out on the first plane to make room for Josh.

That doesn’t necessarily make us a better team this upcoming season and I don’t see any way it prevents Morrissey on this team long term. Mighty actually help us out contract wise 10 years down the road.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
While I am glad that Morrissey is under contract, this offseason has been a disappointment for me and leaves a somewhat sour taste in my mouth. Signing Morrissey long term would have help alleviate that to some extent but it was not to be.

Reactions: Bigfish

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg

That would leave a rookie or chiarot/morrow to take Myers' place though. And chevy would have to make that decison before seeing any of them at camp. Thats a big gamble to assume our d would be just as good without Myers at this point. Why not just bridge, wait 2 years for the young guys to develop more and then ship out kuli and myers (assuming he's extended) and pay morrissey. Even if it means paying morrissey more at that point its the safe decision to make.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guyantics

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That doesn’t necessarily make us a better team this upcoming season and I don’t see any way it prevents Morrissey on this team long term. Mighty actually help us out contract wise 10 years down the road.

Factor in the return for Myers and give me Josh locked up for 7-8 years ....... I think it would have been worth it.

We really only need Myers if Trouba is gone (even that is debatable) but Trouba is here for at least 1 year and maybe 2. Myers is only here for 1 unless he is extended. If he is extended it will almost certainly be for too much, too long.

Reactions: JetsFan815

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I commend you for your eternal optimism.

The organisation has learned NOTHING from the Trouba situation. Out of everything they could have done this offseason, locking up Morrissey long term was the one thing they absolutely needed to do. The future of our blue line is now under serious threat, with Trouba being a goner in two years and Morrissey being really close to UFA at that point.

For those who want to see a two-year window starting now, congratulations. This move suits your preferences in a formidable way. For the rest who would prefer a longer window, grab your pitchforks. You'll need them.

The future of our blueline is indeed under serious threat after the next two years have passed,. but having said that, Morrissey`s bridge is probably not as big a factor as you fear. He will almost certainly be extended for appropriate term next go round. The more troublesome thing is to realize that we will have lost all the other top D in one way or another but without getting any roster-ready D in return. I`m assuming that Buff intends to simply play out his contract: that Trouba will either walk as a UFA or be kept too long and ultimately traded for more futures only; that Myers and Kulikov will both have to be traded (with us seeking only futures in return) so as to create cap space next year for extending Laine and Connor. The thing is -we will not really have any significant cap space after these moves- we will have a majorly unbalanced roster with forwards consuming a disproportionate share of the team cap. And realistically we will have only Morrissey to anchor our D ! We better pray that Niku and Samburg develop as hoped to fill in some of these top D positions cause there is no apparent alternative plan.

Reactions: Board Bard

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

Priorities have to be balanced out between short term and long term. Sign everyone to bridges for short term benefit, of course you want to prioritize who gets long term deals. Top pairing D......not much more important then that.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
That would leave a rookie or chiarot/morrow to take Myers place though. And chevy would have to make that decison before seeing any of them at camp. Thats a big gamble to assume our d would be just as good without Myers at this point. Why noy just bridge, wait 2 years for the young guys to develop more and then ship out kuli and myers and pay morrissey. Even if it means paying morrissey more at that point its the safe decision to make.

Ship out multi guys.....top pairing guys are gold. Bridging Josh is likely going to cost you 25-30+% more in two years then doing it now. That cap could be used to sign other players.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Factor in the return for Myers and give me Josh locked up for 7-8 years ....... I think it would have been worth it.

We really only need Myers if Trouba is gone (even that is debatable) but Trouba is here for at least 1 year and maybe 2. Myers is only here for 1 unless he is extended. If he is extended it will almost certainly be for too much, too long.

You could be right Mort. Unfortunately we’re only guessing in that regard. I don’t necessarily disagree with you, but more feel I can’t form an accurate opinion because we just don’t know how it will or could have played out.

Priorities have to be balanced out between short term and long term. Sign everyone to bridges for short term benefit, of course you want to prioritize who gets long term deals. Top pairing D......not much more important then that.

No doubt of course but sometimes it just doesn’t work out. Doesn’t mean it won’t in two years. Too many “if’s” and unknowns right now though.

Reactions: Jedub

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016
6M-6.5M for 8 years in 2 years for Morrissey sounds pretty good to me. That's what 2nd pair UFA's will get and Jets would get Morrissey through his prime.

This 1.5-2M cap savings this creates for next summer is honestly much needed, and after Laine contract kicks in it gets easier.

In 2 years from now you're not going to get Morrissey for 6M-6.5M. Trouba just got 5.5M for 1 year with another ARB year to go. If Morrissey decides to go to arbitration in two years he'll get 6M and still have a year with ARB rights to go. A long term contract for Morrissey in 2 years is going to start with a 7, possibly an 8.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
No doubt he had two choices.....fairly well documented Chevy wanted long term and Josh wanted short term. Not sure why chevy would give him a short term option considering Josh has zero leverage here.

It is an unbalanced fight if it comes to that but players don't sign long term contracts they don't like. They might swallow a 2 year deal they are unhappy with but they are not going to commit the heart of their careers if they are not satisfied.

Do you think playing hardball with your best young players is the way to build a winner? Welcome to 1952.

Reactions: Jedub

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg
Ship out multi guys.....top pairing guys are gold. Bridging Josh is likely going to cost you 25-30+% more in two years then doing it now. That cap could be used to sign other players.

And Morrissey knows that and in all likelihood asked for a number close to that amount. Chevy wasn't willing to make the team weaker this year to do that and could point to Morrissey's stats so far as not being worth it at this point. So he bridged and adjusted his long-term plan for the team to make the space available to pay Josh in 2 years time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad