Confirmed with Link: Morrissey bridge: 2 years, $3.15M AAV

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
- Myers and Kulikov are the overpaid bottom pairing guys, as proven by various statistics.
- Trouba and Morrissey got a combined three years of term.
- We have about 2 million of cap space with a full roster and after bonuses, which will just sit there and wait.

Stating facts is a mistake? Right.
Simply read ALL you posted and thought was correct. YIKES.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
You can't treat Trouba and Myers separately because they are related. You are talking in hypotheticals, but are offering no concrete solutions. The reality is that if Trouba stays, then Myers is gone. But of Trouba leaves, then in all likelihood Chevy will extend Myers. Poolman is not ready to play second pairing minutes...he's barely NHL ready.
The final paragraph literally begins with a solution.

There is a massive difference between Trouba and Myers. Replacing Myers should be possible with what we have, without giving up much on-ice impact. As for Trouba, that is basically impossible. Anyone who takes on his role is just going to be in full survival mode (exc. Buff, but he has a large role already).

It is f***ing sad that this community does not give Trouba the credit he deserves. Either that, or Myers gets too much. Probably a bit of both.

Reactions: Oseductive

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Simply read ALL you posted and thought was correct. YIKES.
What is it that you don't agree with?

Disagreeing without elaborating one bit does not really have much information value. Kinda shatters the point of posting in the first place.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
They had better not extend Myers with the cap room this move 'opened up.' That is the one thing we should be very, very afraid of.

As for others, this might help us in the event of Connor wanting to go long-term immediately. Laine's long-term deal should never be under any threat to begin with. Trouba - we cannot say anything for sure at this point, but this should help there too. If Copp becomes a problem, Copp goes à l'Armia.

And even still - nothing can justify this move. If this was not a question of Morrissey refusing to sign long term - and I highly doubt that - Chevy made a massive mistake here. We have a lot of unused cap space beyond the necessary space to fit all the bonuses in, two overpaid bottom pairing defensemen on payroll, and neither of our top pairing defensemen were locked up. What is there not to critique?
Would you prefer a situation like Toronto has with Nylander? Jets had about $5.5 M of cap space to sign Morrissey long term and that was stretching it. Most of us thought this would be a reasonable range. If Morrissey believes he is worth significantly more, the better option than going to war with him, is letting him prove it and if he does give him the money he is looking for. At that point you likely have both Myers and Kuli off the books which frees up some space. If Chevy started paying every player coming off their ELC like they were a UFA we'd soon be sunk.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
What is it that you don't agree with?

Disagreeing without elaborating one bit does not really have much information value. Kinda shatters the point of posting in the first place.
To be direct so much of what you post is so off track there really is no point in detailing all of that for you.

You have inherent biases that you will continue to hold as actual truths when of course they aren't. Or just posting like that to cause reaction.

When you post statements like you do you should also expect replies that simply show incredulous amazement in what you believe.

They had better not extend Myers with the cap room this move 'opened up.' That is the one thing we should be very, very afraid of.

As for others, this might help us in the event of Connor wanting to go long-term immediately. Laine's long-term deal should never be under any threat to begin with. Trouba - we cannot say anything for sure at this point, but this should help there too. If Copp becomes a problem, Copp goes à l'Armia.

And even still - nothing can justify this move. If this was not a question of Morrissey refusing to sign long term - and I highly doubt that - Chevy made a massive mistake here. We have a lot of unused cap space beyond the necessary space to fit all the bonuses in, two overpaid bottom pairing defensemen on payroll, and neither of our top pairing defensemen were locked up. What is there not to critique?

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Would you prefer a situation like Toronto has with Nylander? Jets had about $5.5 M of cap space to sign Morrissey long term and that was stretching it. Most of us thought this would be a reasonable range. If Morrissey believes he is worth significantly more, the better option than going to war with him, is letting him prove it and if he does give him the money he is looking for. At that point you likely have both Myers and Kuli off the books which frees up some space. If Chevy started paying every player coming off their ELC like they were a UFA we'd soon be sunk.
Simple but accurate, that it isn't obvious to virtually all is telling imo.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
If 5.5 would have gotten Morrissey on a long-term deal, I would have pulled the trigger without blinking. The D corps is too worrisome for us to take any additional risks, which include letting Morrissey get closer to UFA, with arb rights and a big payday looming ahead.

Think of this: when Trouba, our #1D, is traded, who gets his money? I have a hunch that it is going to be a bottom pairing defenseman who people think is going to be able to fill Trouba's shoes. This is even after years of production that suggests nothing of the sort. It is because of this why I am pissed off: Trouba's money should be spent on actual core players, such as Morrissey, possibly Connor etc.

It is one thing if Morrissey did not want to sign long term (and given how underpaid some defensemen who did that are today, I can't blame him), but I highly doubt that a player is willing to give up so much security.

Morrissey at 5.5 is very much worth it. You can pay that without losing your sleep. There are Jets who are not worth their deals, and they should be the ones that are shed to make room for the contracts that are crucial with regards to our future.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
To be direct so much of what you post is so off track there really is no point in detailing all of that for you.

You have inherent biases that you will continue to hold as actual truths when of course they aren't. Or just posting like that to cause reaction.

When you post statements like you do you should also expect replies that simply show incredulous amazement in what you believe.
Absolutely no substance here either. Such a pointless post.

I believe in statistics. It is going to require a lot more than commenting on me, the poster, to change those beliefs. You have offered nothing to progress this discussion further.

Give us some numbers, data, anything.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If 5.5 would have gotten Morrissey on a long-term deal, I would have pulled the trigger without blinking. The D corps is too worrisome for us to take any additional risks, which include letting Morrissey get closer to UFA, with arb rights and a big payday looming ahead.

Think of this: when Trouba, our #1D, is traded, who gets his money? I have a hunch that it is going to be a bottom pairing defenseman who people think is going to be able to fill Trouba's shoes. This is even after years of production that suggests nothing of the sort. It is because of this why I am pissed off: Trouba's money should be spent on actual core players, such as Morrissey, possibly Connor etc.

It is one thing if Morrissey did not want to sign long term (and given how underpaid some defensemen who did that are today, I can't blame him), but I highly doubt that a player is willing to give up so much security.

Morrissey at 5.5 is very much worth it. You can pay that without losing your sleep. There are Jets who are not worth their deals, and they should be the ones that are shed to make room for the contracts that are crucial with regards to our future.
I think Chevy would have signed a long term deal at $ 5.5 for Morrissey and then do cartwheels down the hall afterwards. My guess the long term signing point for Josh was well north of this. It was just kept nicely in house.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I think Chevy would have signed a long term deal at $ 5.5 for Morrissey and then do cartwheels down the hall afterwards. My guess the long term signing point for Josh was well north of this. It was just kept nicely in house.
The young defensemen cannot be too happy about your Klingbergs and Josis making about half of what they should. Really makes for a shit negotiating position.

However, Morrissey is the kind of guy you make room for. Our defense consists of Buff, Mo and Trouba, and then it's replacement level all the way through. With Buff being old and Trouba eyeing for the exit, there was no business for us to play games with the defense corps. Yet Chevy did, with a bottom pairing with a combined AAV of nearly 10 million.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The young defensemen cannot be too happy about your Klingbergs and Josis making about half of what they should. Really makes for a **** negotiating position.

However, Morrissey is the kind of guy you make room for. Our defense consists of Buff, Mo and Trouba, and then it's replacement level all the way through. With Buff being old and Trouba eyeing for the exit, there was no business for us to play games with the defense corps. Yet Chevy did, with a bottom pairing with a combined AAV of nearly 10 million.
Don't see it as playing games with our top pairing. IMO Trouba wants out and nothing short of Doughty/Karlsson money will keep him around. In Morrissey's case I just don't think he wants to undersell himself. No doubt he sees Scheifele's deal and says if you want me long term it needs to be for what I think I will be worth in my prime. Not what your comparables say I'm worth now. IMO this new way of doing business with top players coming off their ELC's will be a real challenge for GM's. If you look at Toronto's situation, there is a real possibility to keep everyone happy they will need to dish out $40+ M for their 4 top forwards. GM's just can't build a competitive team that way.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You can't treat Trouba and Myers separately because they are related. You are talking in hypotheticals, but are offering no concrete solutions. The reality is that if Trouba stays, then Myers is gone. But of Trouba leaves, then in all likelihood Chevy will extend Myers. Poolman is not ready to play second pairing minutes...he's barely NHL ready.

You are ignoring the fact that Myers does not replace Trouba. Playing Myers in the top 4 is not a concrete solution either - because he simply is not good enough.

If we had traded Myers at the draft there is a decent chance that we would have been able to add a future top 4 D. We had a 2 year window to start acquiring/developing RHD. Now it is down to 1 - or less.

We could look at Trouba the same way. Whenever we move him we will take a hit. On one hand we can keep him for some period to try and win a cup and then move him. We may or may not get a similar return. IMO, the return keeps shrinking. But even if it does not, we are loosing that development time we could have had with the return. If we had traded Trouba for picks 2 years ago, those picks would have completed D+2 by now and might be ready to contribute, or near ready.

We don't know how it went with Morrissey. We don't know which side wanted the bridge. There are pros and cons for each. If Myers had been moved we would have had more cap space to work with. We don't know if Chevy would have been willing to offer Morrissey a number he would accept long term. Having more space doesn't mean he is going to use it. Morrissey may simply have been asking for more than Chevy was willing to pay.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

It would be nice to know the kind of offers that were made or asked for, but of course, we never will. Maybe Chevy had drawn a line in the sand where the Theodore contract came in. Maybe Morrissey wanted 8 year money but for 6 years. We just don't know what the sticking point was.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

You can’t just assume Morrissey would have signed a long term deal at that money as well as assume Chevy didn’t want to do it. We don’t know everything that went on so i don’t know why you’re losing your head over it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad