Confirmed with Link: Morgan: Coyotes, Tocchet agree to part ways

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It'll change daily but I think my preference is Leaman with the right assistants, then Thompson, then MVR.

Lane Lambert is qualified, but I don't know. Not exactly young (57 next season). He's a Trotz disciple -- Trotz hockey is winning hockey but it's not terribly exciting. I'd love to watch exciting hockey for once.

None of the other commonly mentioned candidates are inspiring.
Knoblauch was the big, exciting coaching prospect when he was running those star studded Erie teams. He's lost a bit of the shine, since. But he's been paying dues and gaining experience the whole time.

Personally, I'm not at all interested in Leaman. He wouldn't make my top ten. He never played at any high level. He's had a hell of a career but it's been coaching boutique programs in Rhode Island and Schenectady.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
San Jose hasn't exactly been great this season. Including their specialty teams. So that's not encouraging. But it's been a bizarre season and for the Sharks maybe most of all. Who knows how much buy-in he's had with new tactics given the age of the players featured on the PP for that team, and how old-school the HC is.
He joined in September of last year, so hard to say. He's been responsible for the powerplay and defensemen. Both haven't been good in general. Some of it might have to do with the huge layover between seasons for non-playoff teams from last year coming into this season. The powerplay has gone down a few percent, and is still pretty low overall. They've given up the 3rd most goals each of the past two seasons, so no change there. One caveat might be that half of this season has been their new goalies, so Korenar, Melnichuk, and now-Avalanche Dubnyk, and none of them provided +.900 save percentages. I don't think it's a lot more goals allowed, but maybe you'd say their defense is better. I haven't looked at shots and such, but this is just cursory stuff and I don't want to dive deeper now.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
All but confirmed. Wow, BA letting it all out here.

This is pretty much everything I could ask for. I wanted someone young and hungry. Armstrong added a couple key points, structure and accountability. Love it so far. See, we're getting more info now. Not a list of candidates yet but he's already giving us a good outline of what he's looking for. Names should be coming shortly I would expect.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
He joined in September of last year, so hard to say. He's been responsible for the powerplay and defensemen. Both haven't been good in general. Some of it might have to do with the huge layover between seasons for non-playoff teams from last year coming into this season. The powerplay has gone down a few percent, and is still pretty low overall. They've given up the 3rd most goals each of the past two seasons, so no change there. One caveat might be that half of this season has been their new goalies, so Korenar, Melnichuk, and now-Avalanche Dubnyk, and none of them provided +.900 save percentages. I don't think it's a lot more goals allowed, but maybe you'd say their defense is better. I haven't looked at shots and such, but this is just cursory stuff and I don't want to dive deeper now.
Ok, I did a little bit more diving. The powerplay hasn't gotten better by month, in fact it's gotten a little worse, probably not a statistically significant difference, but the trend doesn't look great. So I don't think it's a case of he needed time to get things adjusted if we're holding him as the ultimate arbitrator of success there. Similar results for goals allowed. They started the season right at the bottom third point and gotten slightly worse over time and end up bottom 3.

rt

May 13, 2004
Gotta figure Army has seen a ton of Providence hockey. He was based in Providence when he worked for the Blues.
Very interesting. If they hire Leaman, I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt. But I won’t like it at all. He’s never been a professional player or coached professional players. Not at any level in any capacity. That’s just not going to be enough for me. I know he’s elite in his world. But I wouldn’t even consider him. He’s on my Do Not Draft list. Haha.

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

rt

May 13, 2004
Ok, I did a little bit more diving. The powerplay hasn't gotten better by month, in fact it's gotten a little worse, probably not a statistically significant difference, but the trend doesn't look great. So I don't think it's a case of he needed time to get things adjusted if we're holding him as the ultimate arbitrator of success there. Similar results for goals allowed. They started the season right at the bottom third point and gotten slightly worse over time and end up bottom 3.
It’s one season where the bottom completely fell out on that core. Their top players look one hundred years old all of a sudden. Thompson might be a terrible coach. I really don’t know. But I can’t really look at the one year in San Jose for conclusions.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
It’s one season where the bottom completely fell out on that core. Their top players look one hundred years old all of a sudden. Thompson might be a terrible coach. I really don’t know. But I can’t really look at the one year in San Jose for conclusions.
Yeah, one year, unfortunately it's the recent one is all. There are many more metrics to look at and I'm sure the interviews aren't just with the candidates, so I think I was more just hoping to find a continuation of good trends for him. Instead we can just disregard this as it doesn't fit the agenda.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Very interesting. If they hire Leaman, I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt. But I won’t like it at all. He’s never been a professional player or coached professional players. Not at any level in any capacity. That’s just not going to be enough for me. I know he’s elite in his world. But I wouldn’t even consider him. He’s on my Do Not Draft list. Haha.

Fair. Definitely reservations myself considering what past NCAA have (not) accomplished when they've moved up to the NHL.

Definitely interested in Kris K if he is an option. He was hot shit a few summers ago. Great resume.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This is pretty much everything I could ask for. I wanted someone young and hungry. Armstrong added a couple key points, structure and accountability. Love it so far. See, we're getting more info now. Not a list of candidates yet but he's already giving us a good outline of what he's looking for. Names should be coming shortly I would expect.
He is saying what everyone wants to hear, that's all. He said he wants a young coach, but he left out "cheap" in that statement.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
He is saying what everyone wants to hear, that's all. He said he wants a young coach, but he left out "cheap" in that statement.
I don't believe that. They might not be able to pay Toronto type of money but I don't think "cheap" will be the priority when hiring a new coach.

Reactions: Mosby

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Army said he expects next year to be similar to this year. Bubble team. I think that’s fair.

Also remember Army makes 1 mil. Not sure it makes sense for him to hire a coach, someone who reports to him, making four times as much.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Army said he expects next year to be similar to this year. Bubble team. I think that’s fair.

Also remember Army makes 1 mil. Not sure it makes sense for him to hire a coach, someone who reports to him, making four times as much.
Are you saying we are going cheap? We are going cheap and young. Not sure what BA means when he said "young coach". Does he mean someone in their 40's?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Jack Capuano added to Craig’s list.

That’s a pass from me. I think he is in the Tocchet vein. He tops out as an assistant.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Seriously? It’s reporter kibble. A quotable with no meaning. As if he might have said he wants a disorganized unstructured coach who has no plan and doesn’t hold anyone accountable.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00