Confirmed with Link: Morgan: Coyotes, Tocchet agree to part ways

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Personal gain and ease of access also likely motivated Morgan to promote Tocchet in hopes he would stay. Without Tocchet, Morgan loses insider information to feed his subscription based news letter. Combined with Bill Armstrong's code of silence approach to internal affairs, Morgan's job just got a lot harder.
Garbage in garbage out.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol

Hey, Rangers fan here, just saw someone from AZ sports media say that your old friend is one of the favorites for our coaching job. I guess I'd like to know...why lol. I don't follow the whole league as well as I used to, what traits of his am I missing besides being available, having NHL HC experience and being a great player back in the day? The Rangers have a ton of weird drama, a ton of young talent, and a group of skilled veterans that I like but is probably hard to motivate for every game. It just sounds like a more extreme version of the place where he was already given 4 years and couldn't make it work

Imo one of the main problems with Tocchet (out of many) is that he was trying to coach a style that our team had no business playing. By that I mean Chayka made us a small, skilled team that also happened to be soft. So, why in the world would a coach with a small, soft, decently skilled team insist on coaching a system that relied on being greasy / winning puck battles in the offensive zone? Obvi easier to armchair quarterback but our system made no sense for the players we have (arguable if the system would have made sense anyway, I am not touching that).

yikes

Reactions: Kaizen

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Hey, Rangers fan here, just saw someone from AZ sports media say that your old friend is one of the favorites for our coaching job. I guess I'd like to know...why lol. I don't follow the whole league as well as I used to, what traits of his am I missing besides being available, having NHL HC experience and being a great player back in the day? The Rangers have a ton of weird drama, a ton of young talent, and a group of skilled veterans that I like but is probably hard to motivate for every game. It just sounds like a more extreme version of the place where he was already given 4 years and couldn't make it work

yikes

How the hell is RT's and Gallant's name in the same sentence. Has Gallant fallen that far? How can RT even be considered for one of the best jobs, in one of the biggest market for hockey.

Reactions: RemoAZ

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated

yikes

I’m not going to pretend like I think he’s going to make you guys immediate playoff contenders, but I’m also not going to say you’re doomed. You have a couple superstars just on your top line, the Coyotes never had one throughout their entire lineup during his tenure (really not since the early 2000’s.)

Players love him and he obviously has had good success with high caliber players as an assistant coach. You never know, may be a great spot for him to land. That said, his record as a head coach isn’t exactly impressive. His brief stint in Tampa is forgivable (and forgettable) due to the circumstances, but he has never shown he has what it takes to be the main guy yet.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
So clearly, with all the interviews, Morgan's assessment that the hockey professionals are far more impressed with Tocchet than certain fans have been on this board has been born out.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
So clearly, with all the interviews, Morgan's assessment that the hockey professionals are far more impressed with Tocchet than certain fans have been on this board has been born out.

As long as those hockey professionals don't work for the Coyotes, I could not care less if they're impressed by Rick Tocchet or not.

Reactions: Mosby and Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If RT's agent calls why would a team say no? If Mark Messier's agent called the Yote's, I don't think we would say no. These were great players and I don't think any organization wants to be painted with the brush that said no to a great player for an interview. I guess it's respect some ex players have. Getting hired is a different story. Time will tell.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I’d be stoked for the Rangers to get him. My tits would be jacked.

images

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I want New York to hire Gallant. Leaves Tocchet on the table for Columbus who also has Nelson in the mix. The Jackets don’t seem to be in on Gallant. So if New York hires Tocchet, the Jackets are more likely to steal Nelson from us.

rt

May 13, 2004
Whoops. Just read the latest Portzline. Apparently they have interviewed Gallant. And Quinn.

Surprised we haven’t kicked the tires on Quinn. Maybe he isn’t interested?

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Proof nobody watches the Coyotes. With that in mind, hopefully we can move some of our crap for more than it's really worth.

Hah yeah. Sadly the flip side of that is they dont realise the worth of our good players either.

Although it sounds like pretty much every team asks for Dvorak in any trade talks.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

May 13, 2004
Bad??? I'd say he was below average. Wayne Gretzky in my mind was a bad coach...
If you were magically starting a new team, and every single coach in the world had an out-clause in their contract to come and join your team if you wished them to, would Rick Tocchet be in your top 32?

In simpler terms, is he on your top 32 list of all coaches (including assistants and non-NHL guys)?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
My guess is they are either courtesy interviews, or designed to drive down the cost of the coach they want, or thinking about him as an assistant. 50-1 odds he isn't an NHL head coach at the start of the season. Other GMs just aren't that stupid. I usually defend coaches and players, most fans don't see the entire picture when evaluating, but in the case of RT it's crystal clear, his track record on multiple levels is proof.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad