Confirmed with Link: Morgan: Coyotes, Tocchet agree to part ways

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Wait. Just double checked something. BA was promoted to scouting director from regional scout in 2010. Leaman didn’t leave Union for Providence until 2012. Phew.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
I’d be very, very skeptical of hiring a guy with zero professional hockey experience at any level in any role. But BA will get my benefit of the doubt until he doesn’t.
I think Armstrong is smarter than that which is why I said no chance imo. He's coached at Union and Providence. No experience in the NHL, AHL or CHL.

rt

May 13, 2004
Trying to find more info on where BA has lived or been based out of during his career with STL. It's tough to find. He said he'd been living in STL the "last little while" at his presser here. But not sure if that happened with the promotion to scouting director or with the promotion to AGM. Not sure if directors of scouting live near HQ or wherever they please. Plandowski's kids all seem to have been born and raised in Halifax. But he wasn't promoted to "Head Amateur Scout" until '08 so that doesn't help too much...

Last edited:

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Trying to find more info on where BA has lived or been based out of during his career with STL. It's tough to find. He said he'd been living in STL the "last little while" at his presser here. But not sure if that happened with the promotion to scouting director or with the promotion to AGM. Not sure if directors of scouting live near HQ or wherever they please. Plandowski's kids all seem to have been born and raised in Halifax. But he wasn't promoted to "Head Amateur Scout" until '08 so that doesn't help too much...

Warwick, RI.

I can't imagine he lived in STL as head scout. Not enough stuff to go see. All kinds in New England and it's a quick flight to see OHL and QMJHL.

rt

May 13, 2004
Warwick, RI.

I can't imagine he lived in STL as head scout. Not enough stuff to go see. All kinds in New England and it's a quick flight to see OHL and QMJHL.
Okay, then it's likely he didn't move to STL until 2018. Leaman may be who he's had in mind since Day 1. Since Leaman isn't under contract with any other NHL team, the two might have been talking all season long.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
IIRC Dave Hakstol was the first coach in like 30 years to jump directly from college coaching to NHL.

He was a failure as HC in Philadelphia.

Jim Montgomery did the same, from Denver to the Stars. On ice, he was a success in Dallas.

Are there any other recent examples?

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
David Quinn went from BU to the NYR but he had some AHL HC and NHL AC experience before that.

rt

May 13, 2004
IIRC Dave Hakstol was the first coach in like 30 years to jump directly from college coaching to NHL.

He was a failure as HC in Philadelphia.

Jim Montgomery did the same, from Denver to the Stars. On ice, he was a success in Dallas.

Are there any other recent examples?
It’s not just Hakstol’s results that freak me out. It’s what the players have said about him. In over his head, didn’t know how to deal with pros, used to working with kids, too much of a culture shock, etc. It’s exactly the kind of stuff I’d be afraid of.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Yup, I'd only want Leaman if we had some really good, veteran assistants who have been successful NHL head coaches before. But I don't quite know who those are. Maybe Lindy Ruff if he doesn't get a new deal from the Devils?

Then let either Varady or Stillman run Tucson.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I read the Morgan interview with RT this morning. It's pretty obvious Craig had a good relationship with RT, getting him to meet for breakfast right after he parted ways. It seems like RT was a really good guy and tried to do the best he could, he didn't blame anyone for it not working out. Craig didn't probe too much, they were good friends, you can tell.

What I did catch from the interview is that RT wanted to understand the players better meet more with them one on one, work on that part of players today, and how they think. This is great that he wants to improve his approach. In my experience and what I have learned about being a leader, is that you can't be a friend first and a leader second, you have to be a leader first. I think this might have been RTs downside as a coach, he was trying to be too close and a friend first, versus being a leader first and letting the friendship follow or work itself out. Leading somebody or a team and being friends with them are two different dynamics, and have two different goals. The friendship needs to be a byproduct of the leadership, not the other way around, at least in all I have learned over the years managing people and businesses.

He is a good guy, I wish him well!

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I read the Morgan interview with RT this morning. It's pretty obvious Craig had a good relationship with RT, getting him to meet for breakfast right after he parted ways. It seems like RT was a really good guy and tried to do the best he could, he didn't blame anyone for it not working out. Craig didn't probe too much, they were good friends, you can tell.

What I did catch from the interview is that RT wanted to understand the players better meet more with them one on one, work on that part of players today, and how they think. This is great that he wants to improve his approach. In my experience and what I have learned about being a leader, is that you can't be a friend first and a leader second, you have to be a leader first. I think this might have been RTs downside as a coach, he was trying to be too close and a friend first, versus being a leader first and letting the friendship follow or work itself out. Leading somebody or a team and being friends with them are two different dynamics, and have two different goals. The friendship needs to be a byproduct of the leadership, not the other way around, at least in all I have learned over the years managing people and businesses.

Tocc seems like the absolute ideal "good cop" assistant coach.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

Aka exactly what you want in an assistant coach. I think RT may have even been good for the roster coming from Tippett and losing Doan. A team that was vacant of leadership and going through major roster changes, who also lost the first 12 games of the season, they probably were able to lean on RT a little to keep their spirits up and work with him one-on-one to improve aspects of their own game even if the team was struggling.

RT was frustrating and absolutely ran his course. If I had it my way I would have fired him after the team started slumping after acquiring Hall. I would have also fired him after losing to the Wild three times in a row a dropping out of the playoff spot right before the deadline. This was probably the third best option, the day after another losing season ended.

Reactions: Gwyddbwyll

rt

May 13, 2004
Aka exactly what you want in an assistant coach. I think RT may have even been good for the roster coming from Tippett and losing Doan. A team that was vacant of leadership and going through major roster changes, who also lost the first 12 games of the season, they probably were able to lean on RT a little to keep their spirits up and work with him one-on-one to improve aspects of their own game even if the team was struggling.

RT was frustrating and absolutely ran his course. If I had it my way I would have fired him after the team started slumping after acquiring Hall. I would have also fired him after losing to the Wild three times in a row a dropping out of the playoff spot right before the deadline. This was probably the third best option, the day after another losing season ended.
Totally agree on timelines and that RT seems like a great guy and probably and ideal assistant coach.

rt

May 13, 2004
Another thing from that interview that struck my as so typically Tocchet was how he talked about his plans.

He was like, well I dunno if someone wanna hire me they know how to reach me. I’ll only go to the right spot. Gotta have good owners and players and stuff. We’ll see if a good team calls me or not. Maybe I’ll just do TV or somethin. There’s new tv deals I guess so maybe I’ll just go be on the TV I guess. I’ll see if they call me or whatever. Who knows.

^ his post career press conference after a loss is EXACTLY like his post game press conferences after losses. Hahah. Now that he’s no longer our coach, it’s honestly really endearing.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Morgan and friends talked about how close they were on the podcast too. Cobra is correct, they were good friends and shows Morgan was unwilling or unable to write about Tocchet in a non-biased fashion.

Reactions: SniperHF

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

That’s why he’s a good assistant coach.

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
Morgan and friends talked about how close they were on the podcast too. Cobra is correct, they were good friends and shows Morgan was unwilling or unable to write about Tocchet in a non-biased fashion.

Personal gain and ease of access also likely motivated Morgan to promote Tocchet in hopes he would stay. Without Tocchet, Morgan loses insider information to feed his subscription based news letter. Combined with Bill Armstrong's code of silence approach to internal affairs, Morgan's job just got a lot harder.

Reactions: Jakey53

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
The emphasis on one-on-one meetings was interesting. I'm sure he was onto something there, and I'm thinking he was good at it because all his past coaching experiences had him doing such things. Unfortunately it's only one piece in the head coach's arsenal and time bites into one's ability to do everything. I think he'll take away a better balance of the other sides of coaching at the very least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad