Confirmed with Link: Morgan: Coyotes, Tocchet agree to part ways

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I see Craig added both Lauer (WHL Oil Kings) and Gordon (AHL Phantoms) to his list.

Personally not interested in either. Maybe Gordon as an assistant.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Fischer was Thompson's best forward in 15/16, followed by Logan Brown.

40-50 for 90 points in 66 games, +35
Sergachev is looking to be the only "star" player that will come from those two Windsor teams. They got really good really quick when Thompson took over, and nose-dived after he left. There were some REALLY good junior players on those teams, but it's not like a London powerhouse filled with future NHL blue-chips. A bunch of Windsor gusy from those teams were high NHL picks. But they were obviously overacheiving in juniors because they are currently not quite living up to expectations. Apart from Sergachev who's great and Vilardi (who I'll give a pass to because of injuries), there's Fischer (2nd round, 32nd overall), Logan Brown (1st round, 11th overall), Brendan Lemieux (2nd round, 31st overall), and Logan Stanley (1st round, 18th overall) who are all looking like bottom 3 D and 3rd or 4th line forwards (generous).

New coach comes in, team drastically improves, a bunch of kids over achieve and get drafted early. Coach leaves, team goes into the toilet and most of those kids fail to meet the expectations of their draft status. Hmmm...probably speaks well of that coach.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I was kind of thinking this too, seems like this last run with CBJ actually wore him down and hurt his pride to the point where he may want to get away and rejuvenate himself. He should get together with a few other guys and start a video podcast, than he has the option to step back into coaching in a year or two.
Then again, it's best for some people to just jump right back in. It does take a team to want him though.

rt

May 13, 2004
That's a huge Tocchet slam if I've ever seen one. "push and some accountability" hah.
Basically said:

We had an old school guy, now we want a "young coach"
We had guy who didn't get us up for big games, now we want someone who's going to "push us over the hump".
We had a guy who ran a country club, now we want someone with some "push and accountability".
We had a buffoon with no system, now we want "good structure".

rt

May 13, 2004
Rocky Thompson took over HC duties in Windsor in 15/16

13/14 wins: 37 (8th/20 teams)
13/14 goals: 249 (9th/20 teams)
13/14 differential: +14 (9th/20 teams)

14/15 wins: 24 (18th/20 teams)
14/15 goals: 223 (12th/20 teams)
14/15 differential: -82 (18th/20 teams)
---------------------------------------
(^The Thompson Line)

15/16 wins: 40 (7th/20 teams)
15/16 goals: 253 (6th/20 teams)
15/16 differential: +53 (7th/20 teams)

16/17 wins: 48 (4th/20 teams)
16/17 goals: 232 (10th/20 teams
16/17 differential: +47 (5th/20 teams)
--------------------------------------
(Letowski Takes Over)

17/18 wins: 32 (12th/20 teams)
17/18 goals: 214 (16th/20 teams)
17/18 differential: -10 (12th/20 teams)

18/19 wins: 25 (18th/20 teams)
18/19 goals: 216 (18th/20 teams)
18/19 differential: -41 14th/20 teams)
-------------------------------------------
Recap:

2 Years Pre-Rocky:
61 Wins
472 Goals
- 68 Differential

2 Years With Rocky:
88 Wins
485 Goals
+100 Differential

2 Yeats Post-Rocky:
57 Wins
430 Goals
-51 Differential
---------------------------

^ That +135 swing from the year before he arrived and his first years is nuts. so is that -57 swing as soon as he left. Those are single season swings.
I'd do this for his time with the Chicago Wolves but it wouldn't work. They changed from the STL affiliate to the VGK affiliate when Rocky took over. So it would be meaningless. And doing an "after" would really just be comparing non-covid seasons to covid seasons. Again, trash-in, trash-out analysis. Plus VGK switched to Henderson anyhow. CHI is now the CAR affiliate.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
I suppose it's too early to bring back this discussion.

Quick side note, prior to the start of the bubble, Muruelo hinted to the Coyotes fan-base that they were aggressively pursuing a new arena option, and that it had been delayed significantly because of COVID-19 (New arena deal for Coyotes by end of 2020? Alex Meruelo is dreaming.). That being said, all indications point towards Muruelo pushing to move the team towards the East valley, where the hub of both recreational hockey and night-life currently exists (Scottsdale, Tempe, Chandler, East Phoenix). In regards to Gambling revenue, Muruelo understands that the most profitable location would be on this East Side, so I would expect continued aggressive attempts to finalize a new arena plan.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
It signals a rebuild to me where they won't give a shit about the first two years so long as the effort is there and guys are progressing. It's going to take a younger, hungrier coach to put up with that. Those just also happen to be cheaper than proven commodities.
I'm curious what the "rebuild" would be. Plan on being bottom 10? Tank for bottom 5?

I'm hoping/thinking we'll retool a bit. Plan on trading Kuemper and Kessel (TDL perhaps). Get some picks but still try to be competitive. Be closer to a wildcard spot than a top 5 pick.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Has Kris Knoblauch been mentioned anywhere outside of this board? Sam Reinhart/Kootenay connection there.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
BA really going into this off season with some serious tempo.

Pretty clear to me that GMBA's decision to split with RT was made a long time ago; it was just a matter of getting through the season.

It sounds like BA knows the type of coach he wants next and he does not look like someone who wants the process for that hire to be a lengthy one.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I prefer getting a younger coach to one of the old. I have questions surrounding Gallant and Torterllas fits with the team. Boudreau would be good safe pick but I didn't realize he was that old. For his sake I'd like him to chase a cup one last time.

Now I don't know much about young coaches so my opinion will be based on what you guys share.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
The coach better have "Head Coaching" experience in the AHL as the minimum...none of this CHL stuff, don't care, Pro Hockey Coaching Resume with someone who can build a top 10 offense. (just saying that the teams that finished top 10 in scoring this last season all 10 will make the playoffs)

Reactions: 0point1

rt

May 13, 2004
The coach better have "Head Coaching" experience in the AHL as the minimum...none of this CHL stuff, don't care, Pro Hockey Coaching Resume.
Rocky Thompson coached the Chicago Wolves for three years. Playoffs twice, and finals once.
Kris Knoblauch coached the Hartford Wolfpack for two years. Playoff pace twice (COVID cancellations).
Brad Larsen coached the Springfield falcons for two years. Playoffs both years.
Mike Van Ryn coached the Tucson Roadrunners for one year. Made the playoffs.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It'll change daily but I think my preference is Leaman with the right assistants, then Thompson, then MVR.

Lane Lambert is qualified, but I don't know. Not exactly young (57 next season). He's a Trotz disciple -- Trotz hockey is winning hockey but it's not terribly exciting. I'd love to watch exciting hockey for once.

None of the other commonly mentioned candidates are inspiring.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Just the little bit on his creativity on offense sounds great. He's constantly questioning old tactics and whether they really are the best still, and then testing it out. I'd prefer some one like this with a tactical mind, even if he's missing out on something else, as it sounds like he's equipped to adapt and grow with the team/players. Also, think some one like this would adapt the style of play around the specific personnel, something I think has been amiss for too long.

Only concern might be the age on these articles. The league has certainly caught up to what he was saying back then, but of course he does display an ability to stay a step ahead. Hopefully, if we were to hire him, he'll have maintained that gap.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Has Leaman ever interviewed elsewhere or was winning the WJC really what caused his star to rise?

rt

May 13, 2004
Just the little bit on his creativity on offense sounds great. He's constantly questioning old tactics and whether they really are the best still, and then testing it out. I'd prefer some one like this with a tactical mind, even if he's missing out on something else, as it sounds like he's equipped to adapt and grow with the team/players. Also, think some one like this would adapt the style of play around the specific personnel, something I think has been amiss for too long.

Only concern might be the age on these articles. The league has certainly caught up to what he was saying back then, but of course he does display an ability to stay a step ahead. Hopefully, if we were to hire him, he'll have maintained that gap.
San Jose hasn't exactly been great this season. Including their specialty teams. So that's not encouraging. But it's been a bizarre season and for the Sharks maybe most of all. Who knows how much buy-in he's had with new tactics given the age of the players featured on the PP for that team, and how old-school the HC is.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Gotta figure Army has seen a ton of Providence hockey. He was based in Providence when he worked for the Blues.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00