Post-Game Talk: More questions than answers, Jets season over

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
I'd say fire Maurice, but I know TNSE loves him too much to fire him. Plus Vigneault is in Philly which would've been our best opportunity, plus Quenneville is in Florida, so we're out of options. Could be worse, could be Claude Noel.

We truly should've headed to the cup finals this year, but given up around February but just couldn't admit it, bet all of you can relate.

Trouba has to be traded, no questions asked, should've happened after last season. I think he's what's wrong with the dressing room, that and a few other things. The defense needs massive improvement. I think Hellebuyck was good but just our team played horribly or was outcoached, couldn't even tell.

I just hope Roslovic can turn into a 2C next season because Little isn't even good anymore, just complimentary at an expensive price. Hayes is even a question going to free agency.

Roslovic a 2C? In the AHL maybe.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Ehlers is an elite ice tilter. Yet he is the first to get demoted? Laine attacks in layers so we play him with push the puck forward at all costs line mates? Wheeler & Scheifele constantly cheat at our blue line and get hemmed in our zone a ridiculous amount for relative to their ice-time yet are never split up for even a shift for an entire season? The team lacks consistent puck retrieval on d after losing Enstrom, so we don't really play our best future hope in Niku because Beaulieu, Chiapet, Kulikov are far too valuable to sit our a game or 3. Chiarot breaks into the league playing with our best d-man Niku with our worst. Hayes getting under 10 minutes in the playoffs. How many teams in the NHL take Lowry over Hayes? zero?

I like the bolded.
And im still scratching my head in the underline.

To maximize your output you make a system to make your best talent produce at what their best at.

Ehler was 2nd best at tilting the ice the year before and Laine was 2nd best at scoring goals. Those are league wide.

I dont know what the coach was trying to do but it sure heck didnt work!
I dont know the system dont work with the talent and skills that the team have. Team get outshoot by volumes almost game in and game out.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Ehlers is an elite ice tilter. Yet he is the first to get demoted? Laine attacks in layers so we play him with push the puck forward at all costs line mates? Wheeler & Scheifele constantly cheat at our blue line and get hemmed in our zone a ridiculous amount for relative to their ice-time yet are never split up for even a shift for an entire season? The team lacks consistent puck retrieval on d after losing Enstrom, so we don't really play our best future hope in Niku because Beaulieu, Chiapet, Kulikov are far too valuable to sit our a game or 3. Chiarot breaks into the league playing with our best d-man Niku with our worst. Hayes getting under 10 minutes in the playoffs. How many teams in the NHL take Lowry over Hayes? zero?

Partly agree, but you are over estimating Niku, espeically in the playoffs, he physically wouldn't be very effective, and he isn't great on the wall. But, he improved a great deal, and got better, you're just too high on him. I would've played Beaulieu over Kuli in the playoffs, for his simple game, first pass and physicality. Hayes has more skill than Lowery, but Hayes was invisible at first, he has no physical game at all. However, yes, I would have found him on the PP 1 or 2, and utilized him with Laine. Mostly agree though.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Roslovic a 2C? In the AHL maybe.

Im not even comfortable with him as a 4C. He is a bottom 6 winger with a ceiling as maybe a secondary scoring 3rd liner. Don't see much over that. If you have a playoff calibre roster anyways. Maybe one day he can be a 3C if he becomes stronger and better 2 way. And to people who want to dump Littles salary we better be trading Trouba for a 2C. Because Little may be more of a 3C now but we sure as heck need him still. Not trading centre depth when we dont have any. I think with a good line like Wheeler or if we got Stone, Little can still be a passable 2C. Just not with young guys who cant drive play or make linemates better. And to the guy saying hes not even good anymore, that is wrong. Maybe not for 5.5 a year, but before we traded for Hayes and he went to 4C and wing, he was on pace for 53 points on a line that didn't work all year.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Haha right because Tyler Myers was the reason for this. Ridiculous.

Look at the goals, look at the critical failures at key times. Try to tell me names like Byfuglien, Trouba, Hellebuyck, Ehlers and Perreault aren't front and center.

People get a hate on for players and then forget it. Myers, as usual, had his up and down moments but he was far more impactful driving the Jets interests forward than guys like Trouba or Buff.

I don't want to sign Myers for what he's going to ask for either but man, there are players who deserve vitriol far more than Tyler goddamned Myers.
Point to where I said Tyler Myers was the reason for this?

Myers was more impactful than the guy who led the Jets in points this post season ?.....really?

I have very little use for Myers, I'm not going to rehash it all over again, he's simply a very average player. It's time to move on.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Lowry was our only centre who didn’t get eaten alive by ROR. Taking that matchup allowed the scoring lines to avoid ROR.

Maurice never found a role for Hayes and never really tried to. He didn’t mesh well with Laine from centre but really Hayes should have been moved onto one of the top lines as a wing when they were struggling.

Did he ever try Hayes with Wheeler instead of Laine? It just boggles the mind that Hayes was given such low minutes.

Reactions: kanadalainen

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Well Boys and Girls...

I missed the game last night... spending time with friends and no hockey broadcast...

I was very thankful for this season...

It wasn't' perfect for most of it...

The coach in me hated what I saw all the way back to October and of course I don't like this outcome....

But it was a great season all the same... even if the Jets only played 2 out of 3 periods most games...

Very impressive to only to play 2/3rd's of most games and to do what they did...

It stings for them more... hopefully than us... that's what I hope...

Thanks all to my HF Jets Bud's... was a great year... thanks to all again...

In parting...

The superb Scotch I don't drink is sitting in my bar...

It is going to get one year older...

I hear though it doesn't get better...

All the same Salut...

you-can-do-it-meme-37.png

brendan smith

May 14, 2018
* Question for all HF members:

Who were the Top 5 Most Underwhelming Performers in the Playoffs? Go...

1. Ehlers
2. Roslivic
3. Perreault
4. Trouba
5. Scheifele

Bonus Pick: Hendricks :D.. Mind you, i enjoyed his twitter posts which I contend contributed to overall team moral.

Sidebar: My selections are not based in fact or statistics (simply a subjective test of the eye). Also, Not interested in refutations (its an opinion piece). Just curious to see everyone else's picks. Apply rationals, should you feel compelled to do so.

Last edited:

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016

1. Ehlers
2. Roslivic
3. Perreault
4. Trouba
5. Scheifele

Bonus Pick: Hendricks :D.. Mind you, i enjoyed his twitter posts which I contend contributed to overall team moral.

Sidebar: My selections are not based in fact or statistics (simply a subjective test of the eye). Also, Not interested in refutations (its an opinion piece). Just curious to see everyone else's picks. Apply rationals, should you feel compelled to do so.
Why is this post everywhere?

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
The superb Scotch I don't drink is sitting in my bar...

It is going to get one year older...

I hear though it doesn't get better...

This is correct. Whiskeys only develop in barrel. Once in bottle, the only change is a mysterious decrease in volume that I have yet to find an explanation for. :huh:

Reactions: Jack722

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast

1. Ehlers
2. Roslivic
3. Perreault
4. Trouba
5. Scheifele

You forgot Maurice.
He is the number one reason why the Jets lost.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Agreed, but with caveats:
  • Niku was hardly the solution now but with his constant up-and-down between the NHL and AHL to only getting time in a marred defence unit amidst a time when the Jets as a whole were struggling - all after he (and Vesalainen) were curiously left out on the trip to Finland - doesn't necessarily speak to setting up for success.
  • Scheifele got the points but he and Wheeler struggled in a lot of underlying metrics and the chickens came to home to roost in the playoffs.
  • Hellebuyck has had an up-and-down season but the defence in front of him was much worse at points in the year. He got settled into the playoffs and I can pick out two games like you where he was the only reason the Jets had a chance to win. While deserved to a point, he's gotten way more criticism for a team-effort th
  • Roslovic definitely did not meet expectations outside of some breakthrough games. He's still 22 but hasn't done much for confidence into a projected #2C - he'll need to have a large leap and growth from this season.
  • Ehlers is also still 23 and I do question his health as well as he didn't use his speed to drive to the middle of the ice. However, he still had nice plays and passes that could have ended in tap-in's, but they didn't happen so now we're stuck talking about how invisible he is.
  • Byfuglien was a combo of Good Buff and Bad Buff this series, especially in his style of roving around the ice. Pairing Chiarot who decided to mimic Mark Stuart for this series in trying to lay out big hits was a poor idea.
  • Laine just turned 21 and has a lot of growing to do still. I hoped it would come this past off-season but he seems to be a slower developer. Maurice and co. seem to be fine putting him in non-optimal situations and force him to round his game, which I'm okay with to a point.
  • Trouba most certainly does not 'have to go' but it wouldn't surprise me if he does. Jets are trading from a disadvantage unless they force a bidding war, however - but I'd rather see him traded rather than keeping him as a 'self-rental' (a la Tyler Myers) after a 1-year arbitration decision, however.
  • The Jets' early success on the power-play ballooned a lot of players stats, none more so than Blake Wheeler's. Of his 90 points, 66 of them were primary points (goals and first assists), and 31 of them came at 5v5 for a 1.54 P1/60 which puts him at 90th of all forwards in the NHL with more than 500 minutes played. (For comparison's sake, at the top is Mitch Marner who has 58 points in which 52 of them were goals or first assists.) Of course, his play on the half-wall on the power play means that he might not have as many P1's as the Jets could 'slingshot' it through Connor or Scheifele or Buff/Trouba to one of the others. However, I think I pair him with Scheifele in just barely meeting expectations - neither of them were as elite as they could have been this season and probably would have been better apart during their 5v5 struggles.
  • Chiarot is a curious one to me in that I'm not sure what we'll get from him going forward. Without Byfuglien, he surprised most in being steadier in his own zone than predicted, but I have to disagree with his "extremely physical and smart" presence during these playoffs. He had some awful, awful pinches and blue-line stand-ups only for the Blues to attack quickly in transition which was their game plan all along. That being said, he's a UFA now and will most certainly be looking for a raise from his $1.4m and I think he'll get it unless he wants to stick around.
  • Little should have stayed a centre to close off the year and his move to Lowry's wing was a headscratcher. He's quietly good but I don't think he's quietly worth $6m.
I'll probably have my own in-depth recap at a later point but there was some points worth mentioning as an addendum to your (good) recap.
Good post.

Little makes 5.29 M, not 6M.

Reactions: WPGChief

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Jets will have a different look next year. Gotta think we’ll see some changes coming

It's strange too because we were apparently one of the youngest teams this year.
But a few of those young('ish) guys are likely to not be here next Fall.

We can only hopes this lights a fire in some of their bellies and humbles them.
2017-18 Jets outworked almost every team every game.
2018-19 Jets out skilled many teams in the first half but almost never out worked them.

Perhaps the team needs to feel that is the ONLY way they can win.
Having a ton of skill and talent can win a bunch of games but without the work level you can't maintain any type of consistent high to elite level play.

Reactions: Mud Turtle

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Did he ever try Hayes with Wheeler instead of Laine? It just boggles the mind that Hayes was given such low minutes.

Wheeler and Scheifele weren't separated during the season for even a single period. I'm not 100%, but if my memory serves me correctly, 2017-2018 was the same, except for Scheifele's injury ofc.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
So how much of the regular season matters? I'm going to say the last 30 games. A few teams that are winning the first round were hot in the final 30 and kept going into the playoffs.

No hot streak lasts 50 games, though, so will t teams cool off and choke out?

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
not sure how they can let Tanev walk, heart and soul type player that many many teams will target...of course I want him for my Hawks, but no way should they let him walk..he was not the problem at all.

He’s a bottom 6 winger and that’s how you get into cap trouble by giving those guys term and dollar.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
So how much of the regular season matters? I'm going to say the last 30 games. A few teams that are winning the first round were hot in the final 30 and kept going into the playoffs.

No hot streak lasts 50 games, though, so will t teams cool off and choke out?

As many of us harped on during the regular season, we had to take that opportunity to try every combination of lines and all types of play, and see how they worked. That's the time to prepare for the playoffs. You go in knowing how best to optimize your players and the team overall.

We saw some small changes and only as they applied to the younger players. If I saw that, I'm sure the younger players did as well.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
What really drove me crazy was the fact that Maurice put out Wheeler and Scheifele to defend one goal leads when the other team had pulled their goalie over and over again.
Two problems with that.
1) they are among the worst defenders on the team.
2) it shows a definite favouritism toward two players to prop up their point totals.
What message does that send to other players? To guys like Tanev that give it their all every single minute.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
He’s a bottom 6 winger and that’s how you get into cap trouble by giving those guys term and dollar.

If I was a team on rebuild with cap room I'd try to overpay him for 1 year and hope to flip him at the deadline while retaining salary. Maybe he would get better offers with more term, though (and given his risky playstyle, term should be what he's after).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad