Post-Game Talk: More questions than answers, Jets season over

bluefan

Nov 18, 2011
Jets had no reliable system to move the puck consistently out of their own end. Blues took away the wall and the release back behind the net. Jets could not move the puck quickly enough. You can't say the Jets disnt work hard enough. They just spent too much time and energy in their own zone.

Exactly. Everyone and their grandma knew if you sent in a couple forecheckers of where the puck is against the Jets in their zone, send another player at the other side and they can keep up the pressure because more times than not, the puck is making it's way there.

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
Both are at fault. Players not good/smart enough to use the option of skating the puck out, and coaching for sticking with players using the same failed system. This playoff series exposed how valuable Toby Enstrom type abilities are in today's NHL. He would have the puck going back up ice before a forecheck can setup.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Leafs fan coming here to say your team got robbed on that non call on the second goal. As Helly said “if that is not the definition of goalie interference I don’t know what is”

Refs suck. Good luck this offseason!
Good luck with golf? Rookie dev? Acquisitions? Be more specific :)

Reactions: irunthepeg

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Please explain and offer support for your assertion/humble opinion.
I think he was pissed off earlier on when he wasn't getting passes in the powerplay, a couple games ago, after he had returned from his slump, and in the decisive games he didn't have a full gung-ho mindset on when he still wasn't getting the passes. Ovi got all the passes he wanted. Laine is/was jealous. Support in video clips on social media or other similar sources. [I remember when Gopher was bigger than WWW. Phear that.]

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Oiler fan coming in peace . Emotion are running high right now so it better to sit back for a few days before making any changes . Of any Canadian team outside of Edmonton I always hope you guys win . I would love you to have a cup the fans of Winnipeg deserves it . It a hard thing to do but I am sure you will be back . Good luck in the future unless you are playing the Oilers

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Both are at fault. Players not good/smart enough to use the option of skating the puck out, and coaching for sticking with players using the same failed system. This playoff series exposed how valuable Toby Enstrom type abilities are in today's NHL. He would have the puck going back up ice before a forecheck can setup.
If only we had a smooth skating, intelligent defenseman on the roster...

:banghead:

#FreeNiku

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I think he was pissed off earlier on when he wasn't getting passes in the powerplay, a couple games ago, after he had returned from his slump, and in the decisive games he didn't have a full gung-ho mindset on when he still wasn't getting the passes. Ovi got all the passes he wanted. Laine is/was jealous. Support in video clips on social media or other similar sources.

Interesting, and yet I felt that his game was comparatively terrific in this series. Its just about the best I've ever seen him play, especially on defence, and in puck support in the D zone. A completely different style for him. Could it be that he shed his normal mentality and has adopted a novel "mindset" and with it, the accoutrements of the game face?

Also: In the early series games, his point man was Trouba, who I agree wasn't as adept at feeding Laine as some others.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Some very difficult and perhaps unpopular decisions to make this off season. For one, trade Ehlers. We need to rebuild a team that can be successful in the playoffs. Ehlers has proven that he can't. And I like Ehlers. But in the playoffs, he plays scared.
Maybe trade him for Gaudreau

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
If only we had a smooth skating, intelligent defenseman on the roster...

:banghead:

#FreeNiku
Niku was HARDLY the solution to our problem. We had a good look at Sami and I think he did a great job and shows promise as a #4 ish guy. He has warts in his game and probably would have been exposed in a heavy series like this.

I was going to say at least now we know what we have for a team, but I honestly think we won't really know until we see how the team comes back next year. Which players will rededicate themselves to excellence? There are certain players who will have to do a lot of soul searching in the off season.

Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Roslovic, Ehlers, and Byfuglien simply have to be MUCH better if we are going to do anything with this group.
  • Scheifele: was better in the playoffs but his season was really kind of shocking. I never expected that from a rink rat like Mark.
  • Hellebuyck: came down to earth this year. Did he take it easy in the off season, thinking he'd 'figured it out'? He looked a LOT like 16-17 Hellebuyck. He wasn't BAD but we did not get saves from him when we needed them most. He allowed 3 goals in 7 shots in the 3rd in game 5 and the first shot he faced in game 6.
  • Roslovic: not much to say. Jack did... Jack last year. I really felt he was shaping up to be KFC part 2 but yikes.
  • Ehlers: I wonder how much his injury continued to dog him in the rest of the year. He just never looked right. He needs to get stronger in the offseason and get mentally prepared to play a man's game in the playoffs. He was practically invisible again.
  • Byfuglien: I wanted to give Buff a pass as he was coming back from injury, but his problems were between his ears. When we needed a leader most, he collapsed. That dumb, soft play on Sundqvist that tied game 5, backing into his own goalie in game 6 in the first minute, and that mind numbingly stupid punch to Perron in the bench resulting in the second goal. This guy is supposed to put the team on his back, not sit on them.
  • Laine: I hope and believe that Patty turned a corner in these playoffs. He seems to be the opposite of Ehlers, a made for the playoffs performer. He scored, he was physical, he made plays, all under pressure. We just need to see that consistently over the regular season next year, too
Have to go:
  • Perreault: This guy is the definition of energy, unfocused. What people accused Tanev of early in his career is what MP is, now. He skates all over, is out of position, falls down, cannot convert chances, and takes horrible penalties. We have this guy for 4.125MM cap hit for 2 more years? No.
  • Trouba: I am not blind to the fact that Jacob Trouba is our best RHD. I know we have some pretty critical issues with defensive depth, as in top end talent. However, Jacob Trouba does not want to be in Winnipeg. I am not going to get into the minutae of how I know this or his history, but anyone who has followed JT closely either knows this to be true, or has a strong inkling. He played a very emotionless game in this playoffs, and he lacked the intensity that your top pair D needs to be effective. He and Buff were major culprits in our first round exit. I'd trade Trouba and look to move some pieces around to get a replacement. The Jets have the assets to do it.
Need to be recognized:
  • Wheeler: People ragged on Blake most of this year, which really shocked me. We don't really know if he was conjoined with Scheifele due to his own wants, or the coaches stubbornness. Despite that, he did not play with the same 'malaise' and lack of execution as Scheifele did. Yes, I think 55's play made Wheeler less effective at times this year, but he still managed to score a career high 92 points, good for 14th overall and 4th amongst right wingers.
  • Chiarot: Ben has suffered from people having made up their minds about him long ago and failing to see the amazing growth in his game. One of the complaints I still see about him is his gap, and that is valid (and something for him to continue to work on). However, his play with the puck in his own zone has been nothing short of a transformation. He used to panic with the puck, ice it, throw it up the wall for a giveaway when he faced pressure. He has such a calmness about his game now. He holds onto the puck a bit longer, turns back, makes that quick smart pass. He rarely turns the puck over in the Jets half of the ice. He has quietly become one of the Jets steadiest defensemen, and he was very good in this playoff series. Extremely physical and smart. I was very impressed with him.
  • Little: Bryan just continues to do Bryan things. He is a really great all round forward, and though he may not be flashy, he can do anything and play anywhere in the lineup. A key player to hold onto.

I think a minor retool is in order in the offseason. We will see if Chevy is overly cautious - as we still have a terribly young team.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
:clap:great post by Jet (newspaper quality) above!

Jets went out with a whimper.........back In January!

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
Cheapskate Cheveldayoff didn't want to pay the price for Stone and it cost you dearly. Jets made the WCF last year with pretty much the same team (Hayes isn't an impact player). If you want to win you have to make a splash at the deadline. (See Tampa Bay as well)

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Oiler fan coming in peace . Emotion are running high right now so it better to sit back for a few days before making any changes . Of any Canadian team outside of Edmonton I always hope you guys win . I would love you to have a cup the fans of Winnipeg deserves it . It a hard thing to do but I am sure you will be back . Good luck in the future unless you are playing the Oilers
Join the Jets bandwagon then? Future my bottom, you want a team to root for. Or was some other already taken? (Best part of HFBoards, bandwagon drafting)

Off with the pessimism, Oilers is going to come back. When the current top brass is gone, it will.. or at least can. Or it could be next year. Who knows.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Well, I know one thing for certain, my bank account just got a lot richer.

Will be an interesting off season. If it's the last I've seen of Tyler Myers, it's a silver lining.
Haha right because Tyler Myers was the reason for this. Ridiculous.

Look at the goals, look at the critical failures at key times. Try to tell me names like Byfuglien, Trouba, Hellebuyck, Ehlers and Perreault aren't front and center.

People get a hate on for players and then forget it. Myers, as usual, had his up and down moments but he was far more impactful driving the Jets interests forward than guys like Trouba or Buff.

I don't want to sign Myers for what he's going to ask for either but man, there are players who deserve vitriol far more than Tyler goddamned Myers.

Reactions: amethyst and GNP

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
What kind of trash can coach can not even get his team to play in a elimination game.

****ing pathetic.
Jon Cooper?

Blaming a coach for a team as mentally weak as the Winnipeg Jets were this year is pretty silly.

Criticize his player usage, systems, whatever else, but these aren't 12 year olds ffs.

Reactions: ATLbound

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
If we can replace Perreault and Kulikov with ELC's buyouts are a reasonable option. Don't think we can afford the assets needed to get someone to take them off our hands. Perreault probably has more value than Kulikov.
Kulikov was steady but I feel like everytime he gets in a groove he gets hurt. I think he still has value.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Niku was HARDLY the solution to our problem. We had a good look at Sami and I think he did a great job and shows promise as a #4 ish guy. He has warts in his game and probably would have been exposed in a heavy series like this.

I was going to say at least now we know what we have for a team, but I honestly think we won't really know until we see how the team comes back next year. Which players will rededicate themselves to excellence? There are certain players who will have to do a lot of soul searching in the off season.

Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Roslovic, Ehlers, and Byfuglien simply have to be MUCH better if we are going to do anything with this group.
  • Scheifele: was better in the playoffs but his season was really kind of shocking. I never expected that from a rink rat like Mark.
  • Hellebuyck: came down to earth this year. Did he take it easy in the off season, thinking he'd 'figured it out'? He looked a LOT like 16-17 Hellebuyck. He wasn't BAD but we did not get saves from him when we needed them most. He allowed 3 goals in 7 shots in the 3rd in game 5 and the first shot he faced in game 6.
  • Roslovic: not much to say. Jack did... Jack last year. I really felt he was shaping up to be KFC part 2 but yikes.
  • Ehlers: I wonder how much his injury continued to dog him in the rest of the year. He just never looked right. He needs to get stronger in the offseason and get mentally prepared to play a man's game in the playoffs. He was practically invisible again.
  • Byfuglien: I wanted to give Buff a pass as he was coming back from injury, but his problems were between his ears. When we needed a leader most, he collapsed. That dumb, soft play on Sundqvist that tied game 5, backing into his own goalie in game 6 in the first minute, and that mind numbingly stupid punch to Perron in the bench resulting in the second goal. This guy is supposed to put the team on his back, not sit on them.
  • Laine: I hope and believe that Patty turned a corner in these playoffs. He seems to be the opposite of Ehlers, a made for the playoffs performer. He scored, he was physical, he made plays, all under pressure. We just need to see that consistently over the regular season next year, too
Have to go:
  • Perreault: This guy is the definition of energy, unfocused. What people accused Tanev of early in his career is what MP is, now. He skates all over, is out of position, falls down, cannot convert chances, and takes horrible penalties. We have this guy for 4.125MM cap hit for 2 more years? No.
  • Trouba: I am not blind to the fact that Jacob Trouba is our best RHD. I know we have some pretty critical issues with defensive depth, as in top end talent. However, Jacob Trouba does not want to be in Winnipeg. I am not going to get into the minutae of how I know this or his history, but anyone who has followed JT closely either knows this to be true, or has a strong inkling. He played a very emotionless game in this playoffs, and he lacked the intensity that your top pair D needs to be effective. He and Buff were major culprits in our first round exit. I'd trade Trouba and look to move some pieces around to get a replacement. The Jets have the assets to do it.
Need to be recognized:
  • Wheeler: People ragged on Blake most of this year, which really shocked me. We don't really know if he was conjoined with Scheifele due to his own wants, or the coaches stubbornness. Despite that, he did not play with the same 'malaise' and lack of execution as Scheifele did. Yes, I think 55's play made Wheeler less effective at times this year, but he still managed to score a career high 92 points, good for 14th overall and 4th amongst right wingers.
  • Chiarot: Ben has suffered from people having made up their minds about him long ago and failing to see the amazing growth in his game. One of the complaints I still see about him is his gap, and that is valid (and something for him to continue to work on). However, his play with the puck in his own zone has been nothing short of a transformation. He used to panic with the puck, ice it, throw it up the wall for a giveaway when he faced pressure. He has such a calmness about his game now. He holds onto the puck a bit longer, turns back, makes that quick smart pass. He rarely turns the puck over in the Jets half of the ice. He has quietly become one of the Jets steadiest defensemen, and he was very good in this playoff series. Extremely physical and smart. I was very impressed with him.
  • Little: Bryan just continues to do Bryan things. He is a really great all round forward, and though he may not be flashy, he can do anything and play anywhere in the lineup. A key player to hold onto.

I think a minor retool is in order in the offseason. We will see if Chevy is overly cautious - as we still have a terribly young team.

Very good post here -as always Jet. I don't know if I agree with you on Little, considering his age. If the Jets can find a younger up and coming Bryan Little, I'd move him, but he has a no move clause.

He doesn't have that dynamic edge to his game , like he used to, and looks like he's slowing down quite a bit ?

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
Tough ending to a tough season.
PoMo will be the HC in October. Not so sure about the assistants.
Hoping Helly goes back to the same summer routine he had 2 years ago.
KFC must be signed long term if financially possible.
A long term contract for Laine might be as cheap as it can possibly be so sign him now for 8 years if possible. I think we seen him grow a lot this year and he will be a very difficult man to play against in a couple of more years.
Perry will need to go.
Either Myers or Trouba will have to go maybe both but then they need another high end D to come back in some deal.
Kulikov needs to go.
Hope they can sign Bro for another year or 2 but might not be possible financially.
Hope they can sign Tanev but again finances might make that impossible.
Not sure what Copp’s status is but I think he was one of the most consistent forwards for the whole season. Also think he fits anywhere on 3rd and 4th line and can move up during a game when there are injuries without any problem. He also might be a much better “A” as he seems willing to speak his mind.

Here’s to an awesome summer:partytime:. I am actually going to get to spend a few weeks this summer in Manitoba. Really looking forward to it.

Go Bombers! :naughty:

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
It was a down year that in the fulness of time will be looked at as a blip in the golden age of the team. Trouba and one of Myers/Kulikov will be gone, Laine should be signed long-term at a price that reflects the reality of what he offers. The one they need to keep above all else is Tanev - that guy is a complete winner. I really don't like coaching changes but in this case I would think about it ... but only if there was someone available who had a track record of dealing with the precise deficiencies of this team. Not just a random change and more likely only at the assistant level.

Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad