Post-Game Talk: More questions than answers, Jets season over

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He blamed youth and inexperience?? Yikes.

Not fully but seemed to use it as a reason they couldn't constantly find their game. Said since he has been in the league 11 years he knows who he is and what his game is whereas he didn't when he was younger. I guess his game now revolves around cheating for offense and shirking defensive responsibilities. Would have liked to hear him talk about taking a bit more ownership defensively and setting a better on ice example.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
So the injury list that we know of:

Ehlers played with a leg fracture game 6.

Laine played with a bad back and groin.

Tanev with a broken finger

JoMo's shoulder wasn't at 100%

Anyone else Im missing?

How the heck do you play in the NHL with a leg fracture???

Back and groin injury is kind of crazy too.

Benny27

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
How the heck do you play in the NHL with a leg fracture???

Back and groin injury is kind of crazy too.

Manitoba Hydro is questioning that decision as well....

upload_2019-4-22_11-43-55.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-22_11-43-34.png
    upload_2019-4-22_11-43-34.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 6

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
My takeaway from this season is we just need some more experience. That is going to be a tall task when we are likely seeing more veteran players leave this season and injecting more youth. I agree that there needs to be more onus on some of the vets to help the youth find their game but it is a damn hard thing to do.

You look at some of the previous Cup winners and there is always a good mix of youth and veteran players chipping in. I think we are still on that hump. The challenge going forward is will the vets still be good enough when the young guys find their games? On top of that there is still another window when that happens and perhaps a much greater window as you transition from Wheeler, Buff, Little, Perreault, Hendricks, Myers, Kulikov, Chiarot being your leadership veteran core to Scheifele, Ehlers, Laine, Connor, Morrissey, (maybe Trouba), Roslovic, Copp, Lowry and (hopefully Tanev) being your leadership core.

I think at this point we don't expend anymore 1st round picks or go hard at aging free agents. But let that secondary leadership core come into it's own and continue to develop the players we need to fill in the holes for a window of opportunity with them. We gave this current leadership core 2 solid years but we need to realize that the next leadership core coming up is where the real chance at a Cup is. That could mean a season or two on the horizon where things aren't looking amazing and there are challenges and hurdles but in the end we come out far stronger on the other side.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I knew Trouba had no intention of signing with us.

Always felt this way, too. Nobody goes 180 after something like his situation. That said, I'll be grateful for his time. I just tweeted at him (doubt he reads it) thanking him for his play last season in the post-season and I'll never forget that OT goal against the Oilers, I think in his rookie season. I remember being at BP and the whole place going nuts, it was a Saturday afternoon game.

At the end of the day, we'll likely never know his full reasoning. His left/right side is completely valid. If he feels he plays better at RD, who are we to judge because his performance then gets affected and likely his $$$. Plus, it seems like something is off in that dressing room so I don't blame him if he'd prefer to move on. Sucks but it is what it is.

Hopefully Chevy gets good value if he does trade him and hopefully the locker room sorts itself.

Instl

Dec 21, 2011
St. Louis
Last year the Jets peaked close to the end of the season and came into the play-offs higher than a kite. This year not so much and they join a number of good teams who found out that "its not where you finish but how you finish". Calgary, Tampa and likely 2 of Nashville, San Jose and Boston have already or will be joining them shortly. And who saw that coming? I honestly expected more tonight but the quick start by the Blues, their relentless pressure, a likely illegal goal, a couple of ****ty penalties, etc., all conspired against them. And who could have predicted that Schwartz would score all of St Louis' final 4 goals. Jets will be back next year smarter and better prepared. Now if only Boston can come bask so we don't have to listen about the Maple Laffs in the second round!

Serious question since I can't find any kind of ruling on it.

On the goal that the Jests could not challenge because their coach wasted their time out on a goal that was clearly good, is it goaltender interference if the goalie got the cuff of his glove stuck on Maroon's stick?

Helle initiated the contact with his glove. The cuff of his glove seemed to get stuck on Maroon's stick. Granted, Maroon did nothing to help release the glove (I don't think he had to) or he may not have even know what was tugging at his stick.

But since Maroon didn't initiate anything, was it interference? I don't know but I don't think so.

Instl

Dec 21, 2011
St. Louis
St.Louis deserved full marks for the win tonight.

The reffing is so *****ing bias ... every call went the Blues way. The Jets could not get a break. If I was Maurice after the 2 interference goals on Helle I would have sent a player clashing into Binnington.
The Buff penalty was a joke. Jets players sticks being held. I guy holding onto the puck for 19 seconds behind the net ... refs should have blown the whistle. But they did blow a whistle went the Jets coming on a rush because they could not count and his answer was sorry my mistake.
The Blues are good at selling penalties and when they get ONE they ***** about it ... lol.

Sounds to me like you're the one ******** about it. LOL.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Not fully but seemed to use it as a reason they couldn't constantly find their game. Said since he has been in the league 11 years he knows who he is and what his game is whereas he didn't when he was younger. I guess his game now revolves around cheating for offense and shirking defensive responsibilities. Would have liked to hear him talk about taking a bit more ownership defensively and setting a better on ice example.
Well, he did say that the first fingers of blame should be pointed at him, as the player captain.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Well, he did say that the first fingers of blame should be pointed at him, as the player captain.

How noble of him. He knows Maurice and Chevy aren't going to blame him, the rest of us he couldn't care less about.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
As a rental near deadline? None.
As a carryover from last season? Depends on his influence inside the room, but probably very little.
Disagree, Stastny is really really good player that has been and is under rated by quite a few.
Jets don't beat Nashville last year without him. He tilts at least one of the one goal losses imo.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Chevy loves Trouba, Trouba would rather be somewhere else, and his agent is a nightmare to deal with. I'm betting he is traded. You can't sign him short term, cause he will walk. It's long term, or trade, that's it.

I loved Tanev in the playoffs, I wish we still had Lemieux, we could have used his physicality. Can't believe Ehlers and MP were in instead of Lindholm and Appleton, especially after the first two games. I would love to see Beauliue stay as a depth guy.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Disagree, Stastny is really really good player that has been and is under rated by quite a few.
Jets don't beat Nashville last year without him. He tilts at least one of the one goal losses imo.
Oh I don't under rate him at all, he's a good player. Our issue wasn't a lack of good players.

Reactions: AKAChip

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Oh I don't under rate him at all, he's a good player. Our issue wasn't a lack of good players.
True, along with the coaches, our problem was our lack of good players playing good enough.

Benny27

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
I know it is still early and things could happen still but who is taking the blame here?? If the Jets thought that the sched and inexperience were going to stop them from winning the Cup then why trade a 1st and Lemieux away? Did Chevy f up? Was the coaching staff and FO not on the same page?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad