Moose Season Discussion

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Do you think he'll have to change his game to advance? Or is it a problem of coaches trying to change his game? My instinct is that he'd be most successful using Hasek's technique/approach - but I don't know if anyone's teaching that since it's harder and 'looks strange'...

My gut says that coaches want Helle-style 'boring', positional goalies with minimal risk and minimal movement.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Helle's style, too, but I feel like there could be room for both in the NHL if it wasn't for biases - as long as it gets the job done. Hasek's technique was far less random than it looked, and was all about maximum coverage and understanding attack angles, too - but his mind could almost see it from an objective perspective and was great at anticipating/playing mind games with shooters... I believe those skills go hand in hand //(based on the sophistication of certain cognitive functions... But that's technical language from a different realm)//

I'm not a goalie expert, one of our resident goalie guru's could probably provide a better break-down. To me he is still pretty unorthodox.

Comrie likely would be a quality backup if he was 1 inch taller and a bit more broad. He's very good along the ice but NHL shooters can pick him apart up high due to his lack of size.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm was pretty happy with the play and development of the flowing:

Perfetti, Heinola, Samberg, Kovacevik, Chisholm.

All of the above made good strides in their games and had a positive year.

Gawanke was ok

Berdin however is going the wrong way. He's entertaining but his performance has fallen two years in a row which makes his first stint with the Moose look like an outlier.

Comrie is the better AHL goalie at this point and I don't think it's all that close.

Unfortunately true about Berdin. In both years he has started strong but then faded later in the season. He is now at an age where he needs to be succeeding in the AHL.

Reactions: hn777 and Finster8

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Unfortunately true about Berdin. In both years he has started strong but then faded later in the season. He is now at an age where he needs to be succeeding in the AHL.

I think the report on Berdin from those who watch prospects around the league very closely was that he might not have the ability to be an NHL guy. This season seems to fit that for the most part. It's unfortunate but not exactly surprising.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island

To be fair, Berdin played basically every single game this year (until the last stretch), so maybe the fading was a function of that. And that schedule was weird - it was mostly back-to-backs, one day off, or like a whole week off. Nothing particularly moderate.

I wanted to see more from Berdin, too, but they really had no one else to play until Comrie got back from the waiver dance, so maybe he just got worn down?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
To be fair, Berdin played basically every single game this year (until the last stretch), so maybe the fading was a function of that. And that schedule was weird - it was mostly back-to-backs, one day off, or like a whole week off. Nothing particularly moderate.

I wanted to see more from Berdin, too, but they really had no one else to play until Comrie got back from the waiver dance, so maybe he just got worn down?

Sure, lets go with that until proven otherwise. :laugh:

I really want to see him succeed at the NHL level.

Reactions: RabidOne

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I mean they did the exact same thing with Comrie as well back in the day and no one was willing to buy that as a viable excuse at the time.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
I mean they did the exact same thing with Comrie as well back in the day and no one was willing to buy that as a viable excuse at the time.
I don't know if Comrie ever played 16 games in 27 days to start a season. I'm just saying the weird year could be factored in for a goalie whose style is very active, that's all. Not saying he'll make it in the NHL, but up until this last month or two he'd been looking good.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't know if Comrie ever played 16 games in 27 days to start a season. I'm just saying the weird year could be factored in for a goalie whose style is very active, that's all. Not saying he'll make it in the NHL, but up until this last month or two he'd been looking good.

Fair enough, I'm sure it had an impact.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Is it just me or does Nathan Todd have second career?
Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 7.28.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 11.30.17 PM.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad