Moose Season Discussion

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Ah good new for Cole that he van get some more games in this year.

I hope this is also a case of him being able to get into Friday's Jet game.

I know it is a Jets decision what would be best for their up and coming top prospect. Perfetti has really developed well in all facets of his game. JMO he can only gain from the experience. Just for him to get a taste of the NHL would only help further his development and confidence.
As far as the World Championships he will get a chance to play with elite talent and therefore getting to see how he produces with some great players. Which ever happens he has really started to round out his game. In all probability I can see him in a Jets uniform next season.

Roughneck1

Aug 9, 2014
Loving Samberg's play. He remains rock-solid defensively, but he's now showing a lot of confidence with his play with the puck. Really good development this year, I think.
Yes, playing way better then he did at the start of the season. It’s his decision making and puck moving that day and night better. Liking his development so far. Looking like a player for sure. Start of season not so much.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Loving Samberg's play. He remains rock-solid defensively, but he's now showing a lot of confidence with his play with the puck. Really good development this year, I think.

Yeah he's been much better as of late. He will be ready next year imo.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It was very detailed. His skill set seems to be something we are missing. Turns out it might have been a good idea to let Vincent and his staff work with Dylan and play him big minutes this season.
Agree. I wanted him with the Jets this season because I think he would be better than Forbort or Beaulieu or Stanley. But I think getting a chance to handle the puck a lot in big minutes at the AHL level probably rounded out his game. His profile is as a big minute-munching shutdown D. Very good gap control, great at one-on-one battles defensively, strong skater with good mobility. If he can move the puck efficiently and consistently, he could be a strong top 4 LD.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agree. I wanted him with the Jets this season because I think he would be better than Forbort or Beaulieu or Stanley. But I think getting a chance to handle the puck a lot in big minutes at the AHL level probably rounded out his game. His profile is as a big minute-munching shutdown D. Very good gap control, great at one-on-one battles defensively, strong skater with good mobility. If he can move the puck efficiently and consistently, he could be a strong top 4 LD.

That is also why they have Gus down there, they don't want to pigeon hole these guys into depth roles. Gus has the talent to be a Copp/Lowry hybrid type third middle 6 player if developed properly and Samberg they likely want as a better skating Forbert style dmen that is much more confident with handling and moving the puck.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
[QUOTE="surixon, post: 177948053, member: 11545"]That is also why they have Gus down there, they don't want to pigeon hole these guys into depth roles. Gus has the talent to be a Copp/Lowry hybrid type third middle 6 player if developed properly and Samberg they likely want as a better skating Forbert style dmen that is much more confident with handling and moving the puck.[/QUOTE]

Agree -- and I think the bolded has become maybe even more important given the need to restock the cupboards at some positions, and may have followed some discussion/reflection about previous hits and misses. Vincent and his team are excellent assessors and developers of talent, and getting players like Gus and Samberg (and Harkins, and Ves, and Ville) to the point where they can slot in and contribute immediately makes them much more likely to succeed, IMO, and hopefully helps to prevent the sort of seesaw dev path we've seen with some prospects, where they get an audition, fail to impress in whatever role, and get sent down again, rinse and repeat.

I'm not sure how rookie-laden a team we can realistically expect to see next year, but it would be great to see Gus and Samberg join Ves and Apples/Harkins/Stanley (and maybe even Kova/Perfetti) as potential impact players through the season. We'd get some instant upgrades in speed, skill, defensive acumen and yes, big bodies -- might be a ton of fun to watch.

Not sure how long Vincent will stick around before being poached for an AC or even HC position, but he's been a great asset to our dev program, and his interviews are always genuinely thoughtful and insightful. Really smart coach.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
[QUOTE="surixon, post: 177948053, member: 11545"]That is also why they have Gus down there, they don't want to pigeon hole these guys into depth roles. Gus has the talent to be a Copp/Lowry hybrid type third middle 6 player if developed properly and Samberg they likely want as a better skating Forbert style dmen that is much more confident with handling and moving the puck.

Agree -- and I think the bolded has become maybe even more important given the need to restock the cupboards at some positions, and may have followed some discussion/reflection about previous hits and misses. Vincent and his team are excellent assessors and developers of talent, and getting players like Gus and Samberg (and Harkins, and Ves, and Ville) to the point where they can slot in and contribute immediately makes them much more likely to succeed, IMO, and hopefully helps to prevent the sort of seesaw dev path we've seen with some prospects, where they get an audition, fail to impress in whatever role, and get sent down again, rinse and repeat.

I'm not sure how rookie-laden a team we can realistically expect to see next year, but it would be great to see Gus and Samberg join Ves and Apples/Harkins/Stanley (and maybe even Kova/Perfetti) as potential impact players through the season. We'd get some instant upgrades in speed, skill, defensive acumen and yes, big bodies -- might be a ton of fun to watch.

Not sure how long Vincent will stick around before being poached for an AC or even HC position, but he's been a great asset to our dev program, and his interviews are always genuinely thoughtful and insightful. Really smart coach.[/QUOTE]

I am more and more on the I would like to promote him to our head coach instead of loosing him train. I think he would get more out of our team then Moe has been able to.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005

I've been saying this for a while, but I see Samberg as a Brandon Carlo type guy. Excellent shut down player, physical, and doesn't necessarily handle the puck like a gernade, but won't ever be a 40 point guy.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny

Hopeful update Xmas break 2021/22, and we can say,
He IS a strong top-4 Dman on Wpg Jets.

Reactions: ps241

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm was pretty happy with the play and development of the flowing:

Perfetti, Heinola, Samberg, Kovacevik, Chisholm.

All of the above made good strides in their games and had a positive year.

Gawanke was ok

Berdin however is going the wrong way. He's entertaining but his performance has fallen two years in a row which makes his first stint with the Moose look like an outlier.

Comrie is the better AHL goalie at this point and I don't think it's all that close.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
I'm was pretty happy with the play and development of the flowing:

Perfetti, Heinola, Samberg, Kovacevik, Chisholm.

All of the above made good strides in their games and had a positive year.

Gawanke was ok

Berdin however is going the wrong way. He's entertaining but his performance has fallen two years in a row which makes his first stint with the Moose look like an outlier.

Comrie is the better AHL goalie at this point and I don't think it's all that close.
Do you think he'll have to change his game to advance? Or is it a problem of coaches trying to change his game? My instinct is that he'd be most successful using Hasek's technique/approach - but I don't know if anyone's teaching that since it's harder and 'looks strange'...

My gut says that coaches want Helle-style 'boring', positional goalies with minimal risk and minimal movement.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Helle's style, too, but I feel like there could be room for both in the NHL if it wasn't for biases - as long as it gets the job done. Hasek's technique was far less random than it looked, and was all about maximum coverage and understanding attack angles, too - but his mind could almost see it from an objective perspective and was great at anticipating/playing mind games with shooters... I believe those skills go hand in hand //(based on the sophistication of certain cognitive functions... But that's technical language from a different realm)//

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad