Moose 2021 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Perfetti decides not to pass it into the slot which partially froze the goalie and selected the further away Todd who had more net to look at.
Fun thing is that immediately before that goal they did the exact same thing. Perfetti passed it to Graovac at the side of the net, then they crossed and switched spots, then Graovac gave it to Perfetti at the side of the net, but that time he made a motion like he was going to take it to the net but then passed it to Reichel in the slot and Reichel got a great chance but Lindgren made a really nice save. A couple Moose actually thought it was in and started celebrating. Good chance they were expecting the slot again this time.

Reactions: ps241

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Perfetti definitely still needs to work on his skating.

He looks fine when he has the puck and can shift gears quickly with his agility.

I find he gets into trouble when he is at a stand still and then try's to react to the play.

The biggest thing he needs to work on is his starts and stops and first few steps.

Laval is also the perfect opponent to highlight the key areas of his skating and game he needs to work on. They are hard and quick on pucks, have very active sticks and don't give you much if any room.

Reactions: WiscoJet

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Perfetti decides not to pass it into the slot which partially froze the goalie and selected the further away Todd who had more net to look at.

Such a smart play. Thought he had a good game again overall. Easy to imagine the damage he could do with a pair of legit prospects on his line -- Vesalainen, Gus, the crafty old warhorse Nate Thompson...

Vincent looked like he was going to pass out from the stress. Don't envy him and the coaching staff trying to assemble 3-4 lines out of 5-7 actual players. At least Berdin is having fun...

Reactions: ps241 and surixon

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016
Chisholm is someone I want to highlight because he is in our top 10 but not in the for sure NHL category. Let me just put it this way, he is closer to guys like Samberg and Heinola then he is to Gawanke and Kovacevic.

You can tell he has the brain to get his team out of its own end. Which takes galaxy brain ability with this forward group. Ya he was part of the goal against via 2v1 but all things considered I think we might have something.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Chisholm is someone I want to highlight because he is in our top 10 but not in the for sure NHL category. Let me just put it this way, he is closer to guys like Samberg and Heinola then he is to Gawanke and Kovacevic.

You can tell he has the brain to get his team out of its own end. Which takes galaxy brain ability with this forward group. Ya he was part of the goal against via 2v1 but all things considered I think we might have something.

Yeah I have liked Chisholm's game. I have liked him for a while now. He's got the smarts and skating to go along with a good skill set.

Reactions: BlakeScheifehlaine

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Good analysis and I agree -- have been watching him play for a while now and he stood out in juniors as a potentially strong two-way D. Seems to be picking up where he left off, and he's a heckuva skater. Maybe he develops into a better Poolman with more offence, slotting in as a versatile 5-7 D who can help out on special teams. If he gets there or close it's a great result, IMO, and I suspect he will. Still young.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

Yeah I agree he's clearly been the 3rd best defenseman so far this season. I don't put any blame on him on that 2 on 1 goal either. Kovacevic made a brutal play leading to it.

Reactions: WiscoJet

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Moose keep doing it. :laugh:
Outshot 31-16 but win 4-2.
Who do they think they are, the Jets? :laugh:
The Maurice system appears to work. Maintain an unreal sh% and rely on goaltending. :laugh:

Reactions: Buffdog

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
A lot of AHL teams put everything on the net from everywhere. One thing I noticed with the Moose is they are not doing that and that has to be by design

It also seems that it is really only the second period with the long change that the Moose struggle in shot wise. They seem to keep it close in the first and third periods.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
A lot of AHL teams put everything on the net from everywhere. One thing I noticed with the Moose is they are not doing that and that has to be by design

Sure, there is something to be said for not wasting opportunities on low probability shots. Though pucks on net lead to a lot of secondary chances. Trying for better shots leading to being outshot a little on a regular basis is one thing. Routinely being outshot near 2:1 is not a formula for sustainable success. Berdin is sporting a .929 sv%. Will he be able to maintain that?

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I would agree with this, based on okay so far. I've been disappointed in Gawanke, and to a lesser extent Kovacevic. But I think Chisholm has shown some solid signs for an AHL rookie.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
They're not doing that because they rarely have the puck on the opposing zone. And other teams definitely aren't just shooting from everywhere, shots are 2:1 but quality chances are more 4 or 5 to 1. No point in sugar coating it, they've been abysmal.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

Trying to make finesse plays in the offensive zone is definitely NOT the reason why the Moose are getting outshot in my viewings of them this season.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Trying to make finesse plays in the offensive zone is definitely NOT the reason why the Moose are getting outshot in my viewings of them this season.

Agree. They'd need more than 3-4 finesse players on the squad to do that. They didn't really have the horses for a possession game last year, and they're thinner up front now -- the exact opposite of where they've been previously with a threadbare D and some decent FW talent.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agree. They'd need more than 3-4 finesse players on the squad to do that. They didn't really have the horses for a possession game last year, and they're thinner up front now -- the exact opposite of where they've been previously with a threadbare D and some decent FW talent.

Gus and Ves would make a difference to this Moose team.

Reactions: hn777

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny

Back when he was drafted, I found a site showing his previous season highlights. I actually thought I was watching Duncan Keith playing as a 20 year old! He was moving the puck ip ice, wisely, jumping in on loose pucks in the neutral zone and starting offensive attack back right away. He has a real awareness and the savvy to disrupt attack against and turn it the other, with controlled plays and heads up decisions. Not jyst knocking guys off the puck and swooping it temporarily out of high danger scoring against areas. If he can physocally handle play against men at the pro level and continues his progression, I see a diamond in the rough late rounder being a bonafide prospect for the Jets.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
They're not doing that because they rarely have the puck on the opposing zone. And other teams definitely aren't just shooting from everywhere, shots are 2:1 but quality chances are more 4 or 5 to 1. No point in sugar coating it, they've been abysmal.
Not a very strong roster right now. How many are actual legitimate NHL players some day? Half of Jets best prospects are on the Taxi Squad. Most of the other half are playing in Europe, aren't they?

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
1-1 after the first, Chisholm with his 2nd goal of the season. Wasn't a special goal by any means.

There was a moment that I was wowed by a shot that Gawanke took on the powerplay, then he followed it up by giving the puck away multiple times in the defensive zone eventually resulting in a short handed goal against. The 3 defense powerplay system really screwed them in the defensive zone.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Berdin has gotten away with playing the puck in the restricted area at least 3 times so far this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad