Moose 2021 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That game would have been a good learning experience for our prospects. There was little flow to the game and Laval closed down time and space quickly and had good defensive sticks.

I found Cole was in his usual good spots but was having some issues doing what he wanted with the puck through the first two periods due to the tight checking. I thought figured things out by the third and was dangerous once again. I just love how he moves and his decisions with the puck in the nz. His vision is top notch, best I have seen of a Jets prospect.

Samberg I though struggled with his breakouts tonight, the forwards didn't help him out much though but he miss fired a number of times. He was still sound defensively and I like the physicality. I would like to see him up with Morrissey if Poolman is down for a while.

Heinola - Used his jedi mind tricks to make the Laval player score on his own net with a rocket slap shot for his first goal of the game. His second goal was a beauty shot. Other then that he was steady in his own end and moved the puck well.

Chisholm and Gawanke were solid.

Kovacevik is playing like a goon and needs to cool it on the head shots. I like the guy but I dislike headhunting.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Perfetti seems like quite a slow skater, from what I read from posters. This doesn't sound good, for such a high draft pick. I hope he can improve on this. I haven't had a chance to watch him play myself tho.
It was just for one shift that I noticed it today. He's been pretty zippy in the AHL but he just looked exhausted for a shift.

Reactions: JetsUK and surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Perfetti seems like quite a slow skater, from what I read from posters. This doesn't sound good, for such a high draft pick. I hope he can improve on this. I haven't had a chance to watch him play myself tho.

There is nothing wrong with his foot speed. He is having zero issues keeping up or pushing play at the AHL level. He can still further work on it but he is plenty quick enough.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Just caught the 3rd period. Samberg and Heinola more sloppy with the puck than in the first few games. Perfetti was so-so, and then he had a couple of great shifts near the end of the period. Ended up drawing a penalty late in the 3rd, and then set up Heinola for the OT winner. What I liked about the OT play was that Perfetti initiated a switch of position with Heinola, taking the puck to the point while Heinola moved into the sweet spot for a one-timer. Perfetti fed him, and Heinola smoked one past the goalie.

Even more impressive is that Heinola said in the post game interview that it wasn't a set play - he had no idea what Perfetti was going to do - then he closed his eyes and shot as hard as he could! :laugh:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
That shot from Heinola was a thing of beauty, and the switch-off with CP reminds me a bit of how well CSW/ESW could play those no-look passes when they were really feeling' it. Smart players do well with smart players, even when they're closing their eyes and jest give'er.

Would be interesting to see the Moose playing a Moose-specific system. Often hard to know what they're trying to do out there, but the weird breakout tactic seems to be the same one the Jets struggle with. Still, they're winning through Berdin and talent -- so no shocks for anyone who gets sent up, as noted above.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777 and surixon

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Those who watched the game: does Berdin swim a lot? looks like he's caught out of position quite a bit

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Those who watched the game: does Berdin swim a lot? looks like he's caught out of position quite a bit

He was swimming a decent amount the first few games of the year and some of the goals against we're due to him overcommitting or being out of position.

Since then he's settled pretty well and to my eye has been much more economical in his movements.

Reactions: HannuJ

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
He was swimming a decent amount the first few games of the year and some of the goals against we're due to him overcommitting or being out of position.

Since then he's settled pretty well and to my eye has been much more economical in his movements.
not gonna lie: finding Moose hockey really tough to watch. quality isn't there and neither is the quality of forwards.
only watched the highlights and he seemed to be swimming a bit yesterday. one caught him a goal and the other time it almost cost him.
would hope that, by year 3 (?) in the system, he'd have worked that out of him.

Reactions: wasup

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Just caught the 3rd period. Samberg and Heinola more sloppy with the puck than in the first few games. Perfetti was so-so, and then he had a couple of great shifts near the end of the period. Ended up drawing a penalty late in the 3rd, and then set up Heinola for the OT winner. What I liked about the OT play was that Perfetti initiated a switch of position with Heinola, taking the puck to the point while Heinola moved into the sweet spot for a one-timer. Perfetti fed him, and Heinola smoked one past the goalie.
High IQ stuff...from both Perfetti and Heinola...almost every time they're on the ice. They're just smrt! ;)

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Have not commented and have watched. Have seen Cole play the last two years and last year in Junior he had 2 goals in his 1st 11 games. I have been impressed with his total game it seems like he is improving on areas that need attention. Last year it was Giroux or Suzuki who was his C.
Now learning C at a higher level will be beneficial in his ultimate development. This is the tip of the iceberg offensively. Which is the least of his worries. If he can maintain playing a more rounded 200 ft game is what is key to the next level.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
When he's hot he's hard to beat. He just needs to keep working on consistency.
Interested to see how he does as his ridiculous work load continues. Last week he played 4 games in 5 days with the last two coming less than 24 hours apart. The lowest shot total he's faced in a single game is 34.

Reactions: hn777 and surixon

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Interested to see how he does as his ridiculous work load continues. Last week he played 4 games in 5 days with the last two coming less than 24 hours apart. The lowest shot total he's faced in a single game is 34.
I guess once Comrie’s quarantine is over the plan is to send him to the Moose to help?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
That game would have been a good learning experience for our prospects. There was little flow to the game and Laval closed down time and space quickly and had good defensive sticks.

I found Cole was in his usual good spots but was having some issues doing what he wanted with the puck through the first two periods due to the tight checking. I thought figured things out by the third and was dangerous once again. I just love how he moves and his decisions with the puck in the nz. His vision is top notch, best I have seen of a Jets prospect.

Samberg I though struggled with his breakouts tonight, the forwards didn't help him out much though but he miss fired a number of times. He was still sound defensively and I like the physicality. I would like to see him up with Morrissey if Poolman is down for a while.

Heinola - Used his jedi mind tricks to make the Laval player score on his own net with a rocket slap shot for his first goal of the game. His second goal was a beauty shot. Other then that he was steady in his own end and moved the puck well.

Chisholm and Gawanke were solid.

Kovacevik is playing like a goon and needs to cool it on the head shots. I like the guy but I dislike headhunting.

Thanks for posting this. I'm wondering if you could tell me how the Moose PP looks. Heinola notched one yesterday on the 4-3, but I also noticed the PP featured Gravoac and Nathan Tood, so only two Jets prospects on it. That said looks like those two forwards are doing the heavy lifting for us scoring wise. Does Gawanke still play on the 1st PP?

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Thanks for posting this. I'm wondering if you could tell me how the Moose PP looks. Heinola notched one yesterday on the 4-3, but I also noticed the PP featured Gravoac and Nathan Tood, so only two Jets prospects on it. That said looks like those two forwards are doing the heavy lifting for us scoring wise. Does Gawanke still play on the 1st PP?
Yesterday Gawanke wasn't on either powerplay unit. He had been on PP2 with Chisholm up until yesterday but was replaced with Samberg. Heinola is the only defenseman on PP1 if I'm recalling correctly?

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Nope, need Comrie for the taxi squad to meet requirements.
Got it, so Forsberg couldn’t go to taxi without waivers?

Who is the Moose’s other goalie? I want Berdin to get the lion’s share of games but he can’t get ‘em all.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Nope, need Comrie for the taxi squad to meet requirements.
Could keep Forsberg on roster and send Comrie down. We don't need a goalie on taxi, we just need 3 total between roster and taxi. I suspect you're correct though that Comrie will go to taxi and then Forsberg likely goes to waivers and then back to Edmonton.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

Who is the Moose’s other goalie? I want Berdin to get the lion’s share of games but he can’t get ‘em all.
Silovs is the other goalie on loan from Vancouver.

Correct that Forsberg can't go down without waivers. Very likely he's put on waivers when Comrie gets here. If he clears I'm not sure what the plan would be. I wouldn't expect him to clear though.

Reactions: snowkiddin

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Silovs, a Latvian prospect, loaned by Vancouver. Probably enjoying his time with our crazy Russian goalie.

We need Comrie for the taxi squad. Once we can waive Forsberg, that's an open roster spot to get younger players an opportunity. Also saves the Jets $700 ooo in Cap space, which we are tight against, with Little's LTIR only 1/3 used, and we're still on the books for $1.775 million of Laine's salary this year.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

The Moose PP was an absolute joke outside the 4 on 3 yesterday. The top unit never got set up and were actually hemmed in the Moose end both PP's.

The second unit did marginally better but still didn't have much zone possession.

Unit 1 was:

Todd, Grayovac, Lynch and Mckenzie with Heinola on the point.
-Couldnt tell you how they would have set up as they never got in the other teams end.
-in past games Reichel was in for Mckenzie
All in all unit 1 has not functioned well at all this season as the grinders Vincent is using don't seem to have a clue how to slow things down and move the puck. I'd be beyond frustrated if I was Heinola.

Unit 2:

Seuss/Perfetti/Rachel
With Chisholm and Gawanke on the point

Perfetti in the Wheeler slot on the hw, Seuess in the old Laine spot and Reichel infront of the net.

This unit thanks to Cole has gained the zone ok but have had some issues setting up due to some forced passes and bad shots.

On the 4 on 3:

Todd and Graovac where on with Cole and Ville. The two of them almost single handedly botched it with a soft dump on the zone entry on a 4 on 3 that the other team easily got to and cleared. They also forced some real bad shots and almost turned it over with a low skilled rim on the pp.

Vincent likely trying to reward them scoring at 5 on 5 but they have no clue what to do on a pp.

Honestly Heinola and Perfetti should be the two core pieces of the Moose PP and like in the 4 on 3 should be able to play catch with each other and break teams down. Throw in Seuss in the Laine slot as cross seam one time option and Rechiel down low and one of Grayovac/Todd as the net front screen and I think we'd get some traction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad