Post-Game Talk: Montreal @ Washington | 2/20/20 | 7p ET | NBCSN/NBCW

Status
Not open for further replies.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Jesus the Barry Trotz apologists out in full force. Guess they completely forgot how Barry was almost fired twice in the season the Caps won the cup.

That only makes me question the competence of upper management. Trotz and his ball-busting is the core reason this team figured out how to win the Cup.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I get what you mean. There is definitely revisionist history when it comes to Trotz. However to me it always felt like we would lose playing the right way with Trotz. Whereas with Reirden I feel like we win playing the wrong way.
The Caps had clunkers with Trotz for sure. But I don’t recall specific facets of play being so consistently bad for so long.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
What about Laviolette? I feel like he would resonate better than Gallant with a veteran team (it was pointed out that Gallant gets better results with a younger roster).
We won a Cup bringing in a Preds coach, might be worth trying it again. Just, um, don't want it to take as long ;)
Yep. I wanted him before Trotz. Both are great coaches. He’d be a good fit for the next 2-3 years if need be

Reactions: Heath

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I did a mid term planning for my blog yesterday. The obvious thing from salary chart: Caps have very old offense signed forever.

Also very little forward prospects.

If they fail this and next year... I mean, signing 19 and 8 will damage their play. Retool would be preferable but its not possible so the only thing they can do - to change coaches. Not much they can do in terms of impact players.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Yeah Backie didn't have any answers there... just mumbling crap. He failed to say "our effort isn't there" so he was not telling the whole story.
I was livid watching that because the way he played the OT goal was egregiously bad. He literally made a half hearted effort to poke the puck away from Tatar and then turned his back and skated away. I have no idea what he was doing.

Reactions: Pomee

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I did a mid term planning for my blog yesterday. The obvious thing from salary chart: Caps have very old offense signed forever.

Also very little forward prospects.

If they fail this and next year... I mean, signing 19 and 8 will damage their play. Retool would be preferable but its not possible so the only thing they can do - to change coaches. Not much they can do in terms of impact players.
McMichael and Protus say “hi”.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
It's not just Burakovsky, it's Smith-Pelly also. Like there use to be players that have good nights when the team is not playing good.

The biggest problem with this team in the past in the playoffs is when Ovi was sluggish, no one would step up. Everyone would be sluggish. If they are going to do a trade, at least pickup a player that can inject life into the team when they are in this sluggish mode.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The temptation will be making examples of Vrana & Kuznetsov and restructuring toward more two-way middle-sixers if I had to guess. Easier to just shitcan the coaching staff, though, for sure. Although they'll actually need to spend on a quality staff. If they can afford to throw Panik the contract he got then they can afford an actual experienced quality coaching staff.

If the staff had a clue they'd reward Eller, Hagelin & Oshie for their more consistent 5-on-5 play but it's like they're out to lunch in that regard. Paralyzed.

Reactions: Heath

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Annnnd what happened to the profanity filter? I am assuming we're not all getting banned for saying shit today?
Perma-banned! Just kidding. The filter is being reviewed by the powers that be. Site rules still apply, so no name calling or using swear words in a derogatory or non-inclusive tense, but using them in a sentence like, "I would appreciate if the Caps stopped playing like complete shit sooner rather than later," is appropriate.

Reactions: Bananas

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Effort has been an issue with this team since the Red era began. Alzner famously proclaimed that the locker room had a hard time getting up for bad teams. They’ve had long stretches of malaise and shitty play dating back to Bruce. Some of those stretches are worse than others and this is a tough one right now.

The big issue is that the top guys are all playing like dogshit. Backstrom’s game has been flat out embarrassing. Kuznetsov is warm butter soft and a total liability most of the time. Carlson is lost in front of his own net. Ovechkin has been a total non factor. The only forwards pulling their weight are Oshie, the third line, and Hathaway and it’s killing the defense. When your top six can’t break the puck out or sustain a forecheck you’re gonna have a bad time.

Again, not absolving Rierden. I’m just pointing out that these stretches are not unique to him nor do I think all, or even most, of their struggles are systematic. If you put this all on Rierden, who gets the credit for how they played the first half of the season?
I completely agree with the points you made on those guys not pulling their weight. That’s a big issue but what about the defensive zone lapses, turnovers and odd man rushes against that have plagued the team the whole season? I think Ovie’s Neighbor hit the nail on the head when he said even when they were winning early in the year they often weren’t playing the right way. Now it’s just way more apparent that they aren’t winning. Whether that’s on Reirden, the players, or both is up for debate and that’s GMBM’s decision. I would say it’s likely both. Either way, hopefully it gets fixed soon.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I completely agree with the points you made on those guys not pulling their weight. That’s a big issue but what about the defensive zone lapses, turnovers and odd man rushes against that have plagued the team the whole season? I think Ovie’s Neighbor hit the nail on the head when he said even when they were winning early in the year they often weren’t playing the right way. Now it’s just way more apparent that they aren’t winning. Whether that’s on Reirden, the players, or both is up for debate and that’s GMBM’s decision. I would say it’s likely both. Either way, hopefully it gets fixed soon.

All valid points. I think effort masks talent deficiencies and talent masks effort and system deficiencies, and right now they have no effort and the talent is dormant, so the systems look particularly bad.

Honestly I have no idea what will happen. Mac doesn't f*** around and he knows Ovi time is coming to an end.

Reactions: caps4cup

DanTHEMan71

Feb 23, 2010
I'll pile on to the "coaching is a big problem" take.

Defense aside, we don't seem to have any sense of a plan or cohesion in the offensive zone. No sustained cycles and countless passes to nobody easily giving up possession. They look predictable and don't shoot enough too.

Our talent alone carried us to the top in the first half of the season when most teams were still settling in and finding their games. It was looser hockey. But now that teams have buttoned down their play, are in their grooves, and have a lot of tape on us, we're just getting shut down.

Coaching is the issue because it doesn't look like they've made any adjustments to counter how teams have learned to counter us.

Reirden isn't a complete idiot, but I'm not so sure about that regarding the rest of the coaching staff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heath and RandyHolt

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I might be wrong, but he's got almost 18,000 posts, and I've seen him post on main boards quite a few times. Anyway, people might express their displeasure with a team's play differently.
Yes that’s where they post. They rarely frequent these parts. It’s not showing displeasure it’s trolling as others have noted in this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille