Post-Game Talk: Montreal @ Washington | 2/20/20 | 7p ET | NBCSN/NBCW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
For these types of situations, this is where Burakovsky is needed. He would always step up when team was crap.

giphy.webp

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Well I guess I’m wrong because you say so? I don’t think Reirden is a good coach but I just want the team to get back to playing good hockey again. I don’t care what that takes whether it is a new coach, trades, etc. It might not be all Reirden but he is unquestionably part of the problem, no?

Effort has been an issue with this team since the Red era began. Alzner famously proclaimed that the locker room had a hard time getting up for bad teams. They’ve had long stretches of malaise and shitty play dating back to Bruce. Some of those stretches are worse than others and this is a tough one right now.

The big issue is that the top guys are all playing like dogshit. Backstrom’s game has been flat out embarrassing. Kuznetsov is warm butter soft and a total liability most of the time. Carlson is lost in front of his own net. Ovechkin has been a total non factor. The only forwards pulling their weight are Oshie, the third line, and Hathaway and it’s killing the defense. When your top six can’t break the puck out or sustain a forecheck you’re gonna have a bad time.

Again, not absolving Rierden. I’m just pointing out that these stretches are not unique to him nor do I think all, or even most, of their struggles are systematic. If you put this all on Rierden, who gets the credit for how they played the first half of the season?

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Jesus the Barry Trotz apologists out in full force. Guess they completely forgot how Barry was almost fired twice in the season the Caps won the cup.
I get what you mean. There is definitely revisionist history when it comes to Trotz. However to me it always felt like we would lose playing the right way with Trotz. Whereas with Reirden I feel like we win playing the wrong way.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Go back and watch game 7 vs Tampa and Burakovsky stepped up when everyone else were in frozen choke mode. He isn't great when the team is on, but he's great when the team is off.

A player like this is needed.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I get what you mean. There is definitely revisionist history when it comes to Trotz. However to me it always felt like we would lose playing the right way with Trotz. Whereas with Reirden I feel like we win playing the wrong way.

I dunno man, if this team "plays the right way" they should only lose about 10 or 12 games all year. They lose another 15-20 because they dont play the right way all year. They did that under Trotz and they are doing that under Todd.

I just don't think this core gives much of a crap about regular season games in December, January, February.

I'll hit the panic button if they are still giving this shit effort in mid March.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I think if there is a time Reirden should be laying into the team, screaming, kicking tables and throwing chairs, it has to be tonight. Got a huge game on Sunday. Got to stop the lackadaisicalness.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Effort has been an issue with this team since the Red era began. Alzner famously proclaimed that the locker room had a hard time getting up for bad teams. They’ve had long stretches of malaise and shitty play dating back to Bruce. Some of those stretches are worse than others and this is a tough one right now.

The big issue is that the top guys are all playing like dogshit. Backstrom’s game has been flat out embarrassing. Kuznetsov is warm butter soft and a total liability most of the time. Carlson is lost in front of his own net. Ovechkin has been a total non factor. The only forwards pulling their weight are Oshie, the third line, and Hathaway and it’s killing the defense. When your top six can’t break the puck out or sustain a forecheck you’re gonna have a bad time.

Again, not absolving Rierden. I’m just pointing out that these stretches are not unique to him nor do I think all, or even most, of their struggles are systematic. If you put this all on Rierden, who gets the credit for how they played the first half of the season?
Well, we don't have the luxury to trade half the team away for fresh blood. If we continue slumping for the next 5 games or so, we are in deep trouble. And it doesn't matter how we played earlier this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad