Post-Game Talk: Montreal @ Washington | 2/20/20 | 7p ET | NBCSN/NBCW

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It's very much invited, though, when the GM also calls out their play, suggesting they cheat offensively and that he doesn't like how they're playing. It's on the staff to reign that in. It's on the core, of course, but there are also decisions the staff could make to hold players accountable that they're seemingly avoiding. The oldest team in the league shouldn't need it but it would be beneficial to at least play the players that are going more rather than just act like this is all rather normal and acceptable.
I am not saying the coaches are absolved of blame, they certainly aren’t, but the effort and compete level is embarrassing. They play with too much dumb and they’re way too lackadaisical for long stretches of the game. Is that on the coaches? Maybe, but a veteran room like this one shouldn’t need a screamer or disciplinarian to get them to do their jobs at a competitive level.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I think it is a bit of both. They don’t seem to have much of a system and have played so wide open like this for much of the year even when they were getting good results. Guys like Kuznetsov and Vrana are playing so soft right now. Carlson is a mess in his own zone and Wilson looks like himself from 5 years ago. So players are clearly to blame. But, if the coach can’t motivate them to battle harder, play tighter defense or forecheck hard, that is also on him, as unfair as that may be.
Any team if left to their own devices will slip into bad habits and become discombobulated. Of course there is ALWAYS blame for the players. But if the coaching is poor and unable to right that ship (part of good coaching), unless the talent disparity is immense, the poorly coached team is in trouble.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I guess my question for the coaching staff is what have they really changed since Trotz left? What part of this team is "Reirden's". If he can't put a stamp on something, then what good is he?

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
I am not saying the coaches are absolved of blame, they certainly aren’t, but the effort and compete level is embarrassing. They play with too much dumb and they’re way too lackadaisical for long stretches of the game. Is that on the coaches? Maybe, but a veteran room like this one shouldn’t need a screamer or disciplinarian to get them to do their jobs at a competitive level.
The team was never like that under Trotz for long stretches such as this. Sure they had some struggles but were never this easy to play against, this bad defensively, or lackadaisical. Wouldn’t that point to coaching making a difference then?

Reactions: Firsov99

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The team was never like that under Trotz for long stretches such as this. Sure they had some struggles but were never this easy to play against, this bad defensively, or lackadaisical. Wouldn’t that point to coaching making a difference then?
You’re just flat out wrong, but you have your own agenda with Rierden so there’s no point in having a discussion on it.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

Maybe I'm mis-remembering but didn't the Caps have many horrible stretches under Trotz?

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
UnripeWeirdJay-size_restricted.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad