Montreal vs Toronto - Who will win first?

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
I think you're going to see more guys doing what Tavares did and coming home to play for their beloved-Leafs. Guys will start taking a discount to be a part of it. The Leafs will turn into the Yankees of the NHL and everybody will hate them even more. It will be glorious. This is only the beginning...

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I always admire when people state odd opinions as fact. We get it, you don't like the Leafs.

I understand to many on HF we won't be contenders until we win the Cup but most grown ups take those opinions for what they worth. 0

I guess we are just lucky to be a top ranked team.....

Toronto is a good team, no doubt. In a glut of about 5 other "good teams".

Explain to me how Toronto is head and shoulders above Boston, San Jose, and Calgary?

Reactions: weinsink

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I'm going to say Montreal. But both are longshots.

The only caveat is we've seen goaltenders carry teams to finals in the past.

IMHO Price is much more likely to carry the Habs to a cup than Anderson. That said, roster alone, neither really have it.
Lol. Nice bait comment.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Toronto is a good team, no doubt. In a glut of about 5 other "good teams".

Explain to me how Toronto is head and shoulders above Boston, San Jose, and Calgary?

It might make more sense for you to explain how the 2nd ranked team in the East is inferior to teams below them in the standing.

I don't recall saying anyone is head and shoulders better than anyone.

Tampa is the only team that can credibly make that claim.

Maybe you live in the past and cannot see that a team that was top 6 last year might be pretty good after JT and Muzz adds?

I don't claim we'll win the Cup but we're a top team which suggests a contender.

Bias is the only argument against.

Hahahax

Apr 2, 2018
Toronto fans had their head up their ass on the Matthews contract and they still can't count their cap space. I'm sure they still expect a 9m Marner and 3M Kapanen because playing on Toronto is soooo worth a team friendly contract.

The windows is closing, go do the math. you'll barely have enough money for ELCs to fill your roster once you sign Kapa/Marner and get rid of Marleau/Gardiner.

Math:
At this point with Gardiner not re-signing.. 67M
67 - 6M Marleau = 61M
61 + 10.5 Marner + 4 Kapanen = 75.5M (Don't argue the numbers, y'all looked dumb last time you argued numbers on one of your players. FACT. Call me out when I'm wrong instead this summer.)

75.5M with 6 spots left on the roster to reach 20 players and a cap hit rumored to reach 82M. That's 7 ELCs to reach 21 roster players.

Last edited:
Reactions: weinsink

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
Clearly I'm biased here but I tell you with ever bit of hockey instinct I possess

Habs will win a cup next before the Leafs will (not saying this will happen anytime soon for either team)

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

weinsink

Feb 8, 2018
It might make more sense for you to explain how the 2nd ranked team in the East is inferior to teams below them in the standing.

I don't recall saying anyone is head and shoulders better than anyone.

Tampa is the only team that can credibly make that claim.

Maybe you live in the past and cannot see that a team that was top 6 last year might be pretty good after JT and Muzz adds?

I don't claim we'll win the Cup but we're a top team which suggests a contender.

Bias is the only argument against.
:laugh:...just keep looking at the standing and enjoy,see what happens come playoff time when things matter.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
I do agree that Montreal doesn’t have a consistent and reliable 1C yet. But we can only hope for Kotkaniemi to continue to progress and for him to establish himself as a top 15-20 Center in this league by the age of 22-23.

Furthermore, through the future draft picks we get and prospects coming out of our system, this team can solidify its middle.

It’s hard to land guys like Panarin, Stone, Ducharme or top 2-4 defenseman. But it’s not impossible especially that these mentioned players are set to become UFAs too.

Montreal doesn’t need to go after a top 2 defenseman but find that top 4 or young player that needs a change of scenery.

As for Price, no matter what you say against him, he’s still gonna be amongst the league bests for another 5 years. He’s only 31. Lundqvist and Brodeur played dominantly past 35.

As a Habs fan, I will say the Leafs have better chances as their core is incredible and still so young. But anything can happen and Montreal is not to be taking for granted to not succeed.

Romanov, Poehling, Suzuki and Cayden Primeau are very promising young players for us and it give us hope to compete against the Leafs young guns.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
75.5M with 6 spots left on the roster to reach 20 players and a cap hit rumored to reach 82M. That's 7 ELCs to reach 21 roster players.

Oh No! We have to pay depth players depth player money!

Care to guess how many players each of the last three cup winners had count for more than a million against their cap?

Last edited:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Toronto: Legit contender, 2nd in NHL
Montreal: crushing expectations, but highly unlikely to win a round on the road

leafs

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Considering the fact that the Leafs have made the playoffs only three times over the last thirteen years and have not won a series over that time. I think that their rebuild has been a long time in the making. The Leafs are a lot better set for now and over the next six years.

and it will be three seasons in a row this year, but yeah point out stats about when most of the current group were 8 or 9. relevant

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
and it will be three seasons in a row this year, but yeah point out stats about when most of the current group were 8 or 9. relevant
His point is that they were 8 or 9 last time the Leafs have won a playoff round and it's been a long time coming. If anything that just puts what he's saying even more into perspective.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
It's definitely the Leafs, but this thread was unimaginable before the season started so I'm coolin.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
His point is that they were 8 or 9 last time the Leafs have won a playoff round and it's been a long time coming. If anything that just puts what he's saying even more into perspective.

yeah its just funny to see cherry picked stats like that.
has nothing to do with the current core (most were in elementary school)

leafs havent missed the playoffs since they got matthews. they are looking for home ice for the 1st rd and are currently 2nd in the NHL. on pace for a record season, but yeah they need to put up in the playoffs. luckily there won't be a game 7 in boston this year and they dont have to play against the presidents trophy winners in rd 1

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Just because the Leafs are better now in no way means that they will win first, cause loosers-lose.

No team has ever won the cup with a $10 million dollar player, next year the Leafs will have 3. They will be 4 or 5 core pieces surrounded by a bunch of million dollar a year scrubs.

So who will win next 50/50.

this is everyone else's hope, isn't it?

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
It's definitely the Leafs, but this thread was unimaginable before the season started so I'm coolin.

Well the ODDS are definitely in the Leafs favour.

I think the bigger question is - the Habs are doing far better than expected... is that a good thing?

Hahahax

Apr 2, 2018
Oh No! We have to pay depth players depth player money!

Care to guess how many players each of the last three cup winners had count for more than a million against their cap?

I like Dermott a lot, but he's not a #3 dman on a cup winning team for now... and you won't have money for a 3rd dman. Hardly depth players when we're talking second pairing.

Liljegren is far from NHL ready and a lot of scouts have gone sour on him lately, he's a complete enigma 2 years after his draft. Sandin is intriguing though, I guess you can hope he'll surprise next year, but we're talking stanley cup. If your stanley cup hopes are on a 19yo playing 2nd pair minutes next year... well...

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Toronto fans had their head up their ass on the Matthews contract and they still can't count their cap space. I'm sure they still expect a 9m Marner and 3M Kapanen because playing on Toronto is soooo worth a team friendly contract.

The windows is closing, go do the math. you'll barely have enough money for ELCs to fill your roster once you sign Kapa/Marner and get rid of Marleau/Gardiner.

Math:
At this point with Gardiner not re-signing.. 67M
67 - 6M Marleau = 61M
61 + 10.5 Marner + 4 Kapanen = 75.5M (Don't argue the numbers, y'all looked dumb last time you argued numbers on one of your players. FACT. Call me out when I'm wrong instead this summer.)

I don't think you know what this thread about. There are support groups to help with irrational Leaf rage.

We appreciate your very helpful psychic predictions, we'll call you a Habs vote.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I'm going to say Montreal. But both are longshots.

The only caveat is we've seen goaltenders carry teams to finals in the past.

IMHO Price is much more likely to carry the Habs to a cup than Anderson. That said, roster alone, neither really have it.

Well, Price being more likely to carry his team to a cup is probably true, but that's more because Andersen wouldn't have to CARRY his team like Price would.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
luckily there won't be a game 7 in Boston this year
Isn't there a good chance you guys meet in Rd 1 again?

Nvm you meant you'd have home ice. I see. Still a chance for that to change too tho.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I like Dermott a lot, but he's not a #3 dman on a cup winning team for now... and you won't have money for a 3rd dman. Hardly depth players when we're talking second pairing.

Liljegren is far from NHL ready and a lot of scouts have gone sour on him lately, he's a complete enigma 2 years after his draft. Sandin is intriguing though, I guess you can hope he'll surprise next year, but we're talking stanley cup. If your stanley cup hopes are on a 19yo playing 2nd pair minutes next year... well...

The answer is 15, 14, 15. So 8-9 players making a million or less. Mostly in depth roles, some exceeding expectations and thriving higher up the lineup.

You're projecting desire rather onto a very superficial analysis instead of looking at the actual roster breakdown.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad