Montreal vs Toronto - Who will win first?

Danny46

Dec 28, 2015
The Montreal Canadiens and the Toronto Maple Leafs are the 2 biggest franchises in NHL history, Toronto has not won the Stanley Cup in 52 years and Montreal in 26...

My question is, who you think that will win first the Stanley Cup of this two?

HabsInsideOut

Sep 20, 2008
Montreal
Toronto is the better team right now no question but looks like they'll be dealing with a Tampa team that I think is the best built team since the lockout for the next few years (among other teams). I wouldn't be surprised to see them come up empty then their window closes.

Obviously you need to build a good team but a lot of it is luck and timing and not running into Warrior style teams. When the Habs are ready to contend, their path might be easier even if their team isn't built as well. Regardless, answer to this is probably Leafs

Reactions: 7even

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Toronto is the better team right now no question but looks like they'll be dealing with a Tampa team that I think is the best built team since the lockout for the next few years (among other teams). I wouldn't be surprised to see them come up empty then their window closes.

Obviously you need to build a good team but a lot of it is luck and timing and not running into Warrior style teams. When the Habs are ready to contend, their path might be easier even if their team isn't built as well. Regardless, answer to this is probably Leafs

In their own division.... Leafs aside, Tampa has their best shot right now. Boston meanwhile is the real wildcard in that division.

Like, can the super mega top line keep this up for longer? How much longer for Chara and Kreijci? And what of Rask?

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
A decade? The cap will hurt their chances in two years...

The Leafs window is right now...

It really won't.. Losing Gardiner isn't that big of a deal, he's a mess defensively and feels like every time i watch the Leafs play he does something dumb on a goal against.

And if they end up losing Brown or one of Johnsson/Kapanen to make room that's not going to make them a non-contender.. Winning culture tends to make new guys step up.

After that Marleau frees up 6M for any bigger deals the Kapanen's of the world want. Plus the cap will go up every year.

Leafs are here to stay like it or not. Decade takes most of the core group to their early/mid 30's.

Look at how long the Pens and Caps have been relevant. How long the Hawks were good (heck, they could still be good for a year or two in the Kane/Toews era). Doesn't mean you're a world beater every year but secondary pieces can and will be shuffled every now and then as long as the core is solid.

This salary cap-window talk is getting out of hand. Just because you have to lose a player or two it's not the end of the world. Caps won the cup after icing arguably their worst roster on paper in a few years. They lost 2 of their 2nd line wingers and couple dmen + reliable backup in one summer. Hawks won cups after trading away good players for peanuts.

Last edited:

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
This salary cap-window talk is getting out of hand. Just because you have to lose a player or two it's not the end of the world. Caps won the cup after icing arguably their worst roster on paper in a few years. They lost 2 of their 2nd line wingers and couple dmen + reliable backup in one summer. Hawks won cups after trading away good players for peanuts.

This right here. Other teams fanbases are constantly freaking about the Leafs cap position. Its not a concern to me in the least. The worst thing that happens is you take less than market value for some players, and fill those holes with entry level contract players.

We saw this with the Hawks for years. Worst case scenario we trade Nylander for less than market value and the whole thing is fixed. Or deal Zaitsev after he bounces back (he will) or Brown etc etc.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

Probably not.
Montreal will be facing Buffalo and probably still TO and Tampa. The Atlantic is going to be a bloodbath for the next decade.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The phrase "The next decade" instantly renders any prediction useless. A decade ago the best players on either team hadn't gone through puberty. Proclaiming one team's future to be better or worse based on players who are currently 11 or 12 years old is kinda' silly, no? Predicting five years ahead is pointless; 10 years is ridiculous.

As to the question, Toronto looks built for Right-Now. Management appears to be going all in because they understand how short these windows are. If they manage to win a Cup it'll be nice for the older fans who've waited a lifetime, but they'd better do it soon. The NHL is littered with on-paper champs who could've won, but didn't. Their impending cap crunch won't kill them, but it's fair to say their roster won't be as strong once they're forced to start jettisoning key contracts.

Montreal is in their beta phase, with zero expectations for this season. They've got the youngest forwards in the league and a group of top prospects a year or two away. Their incoming talent should begin to tilt the board in their favour in two/three years, but of course there's no way to predict how good those kids will be. As a Habs fan, I'm more interested in watching this new team evolve than I am in looking ahead to Cup windows. They'll be a contender soon enough, but the process of actually winning a Cup is not as formulaic as some believe.

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
Toronto is set down the middle for ever. Have a superstar winger, top 20 Dman and top 10 goalie. Only 2 over 25. They're in much better shape today and in 5 years. It just seems to me Montreal needs a top 3 pick stud player, and maybe would have been better off not doing so well this year.

Price could always steal them a cup though.

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
I also have no idea why people think Toronto is all in. Marner, Matthews, Nylander are just gonna get better. All our best players are locked up (Marner will be) and all young or just in their primes. We will be good for years.

Worst thing management could do is make moves like were all in.

HabsInsideOut

Sep 20, 2008
Montreal
Probably not.
Montreal will be facing Buffalo and probably still TO and Tampa. The Atlantic is going to be a bloodbath for the next decade.

I don't think so either but you never know. I just find it hard to believe a team will replicate the 2018/2019 Lightning any time soon (on paper at least).

HabsInsideOut

Sep 20, 2008
Montreal
I also have no idea why people think Toronto is all in. Marner, Matthews, Nylander are just gonna get better. All our best players are locked up (Marner will be) and all young or just in their primes. We will be good for years.

Worst thing management could do is make moves like were all in.

No it's the opposite - that's why management traded for Muzzin and wouldn't be surprised to add another big piece.

All these big time players will be or are already paid as such, which down the line will make it much more difficult to fill out a whole team. This is the year where most of their core is still on their rookie deals and most of them are already star/elite players so to take advantage of that you absolutely go all in on a year like this.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Considering the fact that the Leafs have made the playoffs only three times over the last thirteen years and have not won a series over that time. I think that their rebuild has been a long time in the making. The Leafs are a lot better set for now and over the next six years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad