Montreal vs Toronto - Who will win first?

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
It's a sport where it's a complete tossup once you make the playoffs so anybody could win. But on paper, Toronto is clearly in a much better position to contend over the next 5-7 years compared to MTL.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
No it's the opposite - that's why management traded for Muzzin and wouldn't be surprised to add another big piece.

All these big time players will be or are already paid as such, which down the line will make it much more difficult to fill out a whole team. This is the year where most of their core is still on their rookie deals and most of them are already star/elite players so to take advantage of that you absolutely go all in on a year like this.
I don't think trading for a defenseman is going all in. Are the Habs going all in after the Folin trade?

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
If you think trading for Jake Muzzin and Christian Folin are the same thing... well.. I just can't help you
So trading for Jake Muzzin is going all in and not just upgrading the D every other fanbase has noted the Leafs need to do over the last 3 years?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I'm going to say Montreal. But both are longshots.

The only caveat is we've seen goaltenders carry teams to finals in the past.

IMHO Price is much more likely to carry the Habs to a cup than Anderson. That said, roster alone, neither really have it.

HabsInsideOut

Sep 20, 2008
Montreal
So trading for Jake Muzzin is going all in and not just upgrading the D every other fanbase has noted the Leafs need to do over the last 3 years?

What? You're all over the place here.

Sure, trading for Muzzin will almost always upgrade your D which is what every team strives for (especially the Leafs), but rebuilding/developing teams don't often trade 1sts and good prospects for 1.5 years of a good defenceman. However teams that are going for it do tend to make those trades.

And even if I were to agree with you on that point, still doesn't make your first comment, i.e. equating Muzzin and Folin trades, make any sense at all. One is a first pairing NHL dman and the other is AHL quality. Do you know the players you're even talking about?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I'm going to say Montreal. But both are longshots.

The only caveat is we've seen goaltenders carry teams to finals in the past.

IMHO Price is much more likely to carry the Habs to a cup than Anderson. That said, roster alone, neither really have it.
I'm not sure you know what "longshot" means. Leafs are certainly a contender.

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
Just because the Leafs are better now in no way means that they will win first, cause loosers-lose.

No team has ever won the cup with a $10 million dollar player, next year the Leafs will have 3. They will be 4 or 5 core pieces surrounded by a bunch of million dollar a year scrubs.

So who will win next 50/50.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
What? You're all over the place here.

Sure, trading for Muzzin will almost always upgrade your D which is what every team strives for (especially the Leafs), but rebuilding/developing teams don't often trade 1sts and good prospects for 1.5 years of a good defenceman. However teams that are going for it do tend to make those trades.

And even if I were to agree with you on that point, still doesn't make your first comment, i.e. equating Muzzin and Folin trades, make any sense at all. One is a first pairing NHL dman and the other is AHL quality. Do you know the players you're even talking about?

For sure, I was just questioning your all in comment and wondered how you came to that conclusion. I assumed it was because they traded for Jake Muzzin. I then wondered how that trade meant they were going all in. You then looked far too much into it and here we are

HabsInsideOut

Sep 20, 2008
Montreal
For sure, I was just questioning your all in comment and wondered how you came to that conclusion. I assumed it was because they traded for Jake Muzzin. I then wondered how that trade meant they were going all in. You then looked far too much into it and here we are

Maybe I did read your comment differently in my head. Well if you're asking a legitimate question then yes, I think the Leafs are all in this year and I think that's probably a good idea given their impending cap situation.

Ronnie Residue

Burns is daddy.
Feb 15, 2015
On, Canada
Toronto is the obvious answer here.
That being said though, I would not be incredibly shocked if Price could put the team on his back and make a good run. It’s a longshot, but Price staying healthy and playing at his top level makes anything possible.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Montreal fans say Montreal first
Toronto fans say Toronto first
Everyone else says Montreal first, because **** Toronto

So I will say most people will say Montreal
Most people are saying it's Toronto.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Montreal are pretenders. Sure they are better than expected this year but still no true #1 C, Weber is going to fall off a cliff within the next few years, Petry is old as well and having a career year and will decline shortly. Price as much crap as he has gotten has hidden a lot of their issues since he regained form in December.

Offense is also over achieving right now. Very much a team having everything basically go right for them and will be the next example of teams having a good year and getting overhyped. Next Oilers, Avs, etc etc.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Montreal are pretenders. Sure they are better than expected this year but still no true #1 C, Weber is going to fall off a cliff within the next few years, Petry is old as well and having a career year and will decline shortly. Price as much crap as he has gotten has hidden a lot of their issues since he regained form in December.

Offense is also over achieving right now. Very much a team having everything basically go right for them and will be the next example of teams having a good year and getting overhyped. Next Oilers, Avs, etc etc.

This has some bump potential if MTL and TOR meet in the 1st round.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
if we're talking right now, it's the leafs. no question. at forward 100%...tossup in nets and D..
but they have best C depth in league...that alone is significant.

in future who knows? I think habs are also set up terrifically for the future with all the pieces coming -
and the gap at C will close with kotkaniemi, domi, poehling, maybe suzuki etc..
d-brook, romanov G-primeau
but now it's the leafs

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Honestly the only piece the Leafs are missing might be the only piece Montreal has.

(Spoiler: it's Weber)

So the answer is Toronto. They're significantly closer.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I'm not sure you know what "longshot" means. Leafs are certainly a contender.

Contenders: Tampa Bay, Winnipeg, Nashville, Pittsburgh, and Washington.

Toronto is kind of sort of in this glut of decent teams with Boston, Calgary, Islanders and San Jose.

Between Toronto and Montreal? I go with the better goalie.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
As long as Price is dominating, Montreal always has a chance for tche Cup. It all (mostly) depends of him.

I think Montreal is 2 players away from contending as much as Toronto. Add in a Stone, Hall or Panarin and top 4 defenceman or one that can play better with Weber, then I think it would be clearer.

Im not sold Domi is strong enough 1C to lead a team to the cup. Good ~60 games but to say the Habs have ”the piece” down the middle is premature IMO. Kotkaniemi might get there but it’s a long road from 3C to elite 1C.

Habs centers have been a pleasant surprise this season and it’s good enough to make the playoffs but like we’ve seen for years teams who win have really strong centers. Sid/Geno, Kuzy/Backstrom, Kopitar/Carter, Bergeron/Krejci etc.

Point is you might get your Hall and top 4 D and still end up saying ”now we just need that elite C”. That often comes up when the team has the rest figured out and you compete in the playoffs with teams that have that. Teams that don’t always seem to get close but not quite.

Rico Suave

Jan 30, 2019
Toronto is one top dman away from being a real contender and all core players are young and locked up,only thing that will mess up the leafs is the salary cap,that being said Tampa is also in their prime and have a better team overall so will be hard for toronto to get past them but imo if theres a team that can its that deadly offense

Montreal were suppose to be going through a mini rebuild but this year's success might push the GM to rush trades he shoudlnt do,also their two best players arent getting younger and dont have many years being at the top .They do have Price who in the past was able to carry a mediocre team and found hes game back eversince December ( when hes second baby girl was born ) but imo even Carey on top of hes game wont bring us a cup by himself

Toronto is the obvious choice atm but like Vegas proved last year ( and many teams in the past like the 93 Habs ) anything can happen in the playoffs

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
Montreal fans say Montreal first
Toronto fans say Toronto first
Everyone else says Montreal first, because **** Toronto

So I will say most people will say Montreal

Well....no, not really.

I'm a Habs fan but id be stupid to think it would be Habs before Leafs at this particular juncture.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Contenders: Tampa Bay, Winnipeg, Nashville, Pittsburgh, and Washington.

Toronto is kind of sort of in this glut of decent teams with Boston, Calgary, Islanders and San Jose.

Between Toronto and Montreal? I go with the better goalie.
I always admire when people state odd opinions as fact. We get it, you don't like the Leafs.

I understand to many on HF we won't be contenders until we win the Cup but most grown ups take those opinions for what they worth. 0

I guess we are just lucky to be a top ranked team.....

Reactions: The90

The90

Feb 27, 2017
As long as Price is dominating, Montreal always has a chance for tche Cup. It all (mostly) depends of him.

I think Montreal is 2 players away from contending as much as Toronto. Add in a Stone, Hall or Panarin and top 4 defenceman or one that can play better with Weber, then I think it would be clearer.
I do think Montreal has a nice team. But those 2 pieces aren’t odds and ends like the leafs would have on their want list. They’re 2 first line star players. Much harder and much more unlikely to add. They’ve been looking for a 1C for how long?

The90

Feb 27, 2017
No it's the opposite - that's why management traded for Muzzin and wouldn't be surprised to add another big piece.

All these big time players will be or are already paid as such, which down the line will make it much more difficult to fill out a whole team. This is the year where most of their core is still on their rookie deals and most of them are already star/elite players so to take advantage of that you absolutely go all in on a year like this.
They traded for muzzin because he’s on a good contract and has another year left on his contract. All in is shipping firsts for rental players. Not the same

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad