Montreal vs Toronto - Who will win first?

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
This year is probably Toronto's best chance for a while . With big extensions kicking in they'll have to trade a bunch of vets off this summer and replace them with prospects / AHLers which is a downgrade. Then they're in the position of a bunch of high end talent teams, lots of star power but cap stretched: Trying to find bargain guys playing at impact NHL level to plug important roster holes - not an easy task.

Montreal still needs more talent but they have some key big money vets performing well at prime age (goalie, #1 and #2 D-men). The centerman problem has been significantly improved with Domi-Danault-Kotkaniemi down the middle, a lot of depth on wings and a young group of forwards overall. A deeper prospect pool and lots of cap space for management to work with to make that next level.

So I would say they are close to same level with Toronto having a better chance this year, but next 2-3 years Montreal has a better chance to improve significantly while Toronto faces more potential problems and downside.

Reactions: Peter Puck

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
IMHO Price is much more likely to carry the Habs to a cup than Anderson. That said, roster alone, neither really have it
(mod)

You're saying the roster of the 2nd best team in the league "doesn't really have it"?

Last edited by a moderator:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The Leafs.

Two of the Habs top players areaready north of 30.

And 10 million on a goalie is a bigger hindernace than supposedly overpaying Nylander and Matthews collectively a few hundred thousand dollars

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
This year is probably Toronto's best chance for a while . With big extensions kicking in they'll have to trade a bunch of vets off this summer and replace them with prospects / AHLers which is a downgrade. Then they're in the position of a bunch of high end talent teams, lots of star power but cap stretched: Trying to find bargain guys playing at impact NHL level to plug important roster holes - not an easy task.

Montreal still needs more talent but they have some key big money vets performing well at prime age (goalie, #1 and #2 D-men). The centerman problem has been significantly improved with Domi-Danault-Kotkaniemi down the middle, a lot of depth on wings and a young group of forwards overall. A deeper prospect pool and lots of cap space for management to work with to make that next level.

So I would say they are close to same level with Toronto having a better chance this year, but next 2-3 years Montreal has a better chance to improve significantly while Toronto faces more potential problems and downside.

Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Kadri, Rielly, Dermott, Andersen + fill ins for the next 2-3 years >>> Domi, Drouin, Kotkaniemi, Gallagher, Weber, Petry, Mete

Reactions: Menzinger

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007

If this helps you sleep at night, then sure, believe that.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
I like Dermott a lot, but he's not a #3 dman on a cup winning team for now... and you won't have money for a 3rd dman. Hardly depth players when we're talking second pairing.

Liljegren is far from NHL ready and a lot of scouts have gone sour on him lately, he's a complete enigma 2 years after his draft. Sandin is intriguing though, I guess you can hope he'll surprise next year, but we're talking stanley cup. If your stanley cup hopes are on a 19yo playing 2nd pair minutes next year... well...

2tskgw.jpg

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
You must be in his stash to crown your team the second best in the league based on opinion.

The Leafs are the second best team in the league this year.

They have the second best goal differential (+44), the second most regulation or overtime wins (36), are tied with Calgary for the second best points% (which they would win any tiebreakers because of ROW totals) and the second best road record in the league.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
LOL. Some are better bets than others. You prefer favorites?

I think you are just finding it inconvenient. :P
No, I think that any team in the playoffs can legit win. I just think Leafs fans forgot how much anything can happen in the playoffs. It's not like TB is guaranteed a SC right now even though they are still dominating the league. They go face the second WC in the east and get stoned by a goalie who is on fire. It's the playoffs, anything can happen.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
I'll say Toronto.

MTL has a good team with depth but doesn't have any superstars on the roster.

Whether its Chicago, LA, or PIT, or Wash last year... everyone knows you can't win without superstars.

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
The Leafs are the second best team in the league this year.

They have the second best goal differential (+44), the second most regulation or overtime wins (36), are tied with Calgary for the second best points% (which they would win any tiebreakers because of ROW totals) and the second best road record in the league.
NSH finished with 117 points and +54 point differential and got bounced in the second round last year. It doesn't mean shit.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
No, I think that any team in the playoffs can legit win. I just think Leafs fans forgot how much anything can happen in the playoffs. It's not like TB is guaranteed a SC right now even though they are still dominating the league. They go face the second WC in the east and get stoned by a goalie who is on fire. It's the playoffs, anything can happen.
Nah, after 2 7 game first round exits we know there are no guarantees, but we know we have a good team.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Obviously Toronto for the next 2 years! But i honestely think the leafs will have cap probleme that will lead to lack of depth in the future. Montreal's prospect pool is looking realy good these days and i feel like Montreal will gamble on building a fast hard working team with alot of depth that will be very hard to play against, having 2-3 of these guys panning out would make Montreal ALOT better. Poehling, Suzuki, Brook, Romanov, Ylonen and we can go on with a couple of long shot Boom or bust guys.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Both of their window are open as long as Andersen and Price remain elite goalies. They are 29 and 31.

Neither team has a good enough defense to compensate getting average goaltending.

Timing has to be perfect to become favourites. Tampa Bay has nailed it, though they've gotten lucky along the way. Who saw Kutcherov and Point doing this on draft day. As well as Vasy playing up to his potential.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Obviously Toronto for the next 2 years! But i honestely think the leafs will have cap probleme that will lead to lack of depth in the future. Montreal's prospect pool is looking realy good these days and i feel like Montreal will gamble on building a fast hard working team with alot of depth that will be very hard to play against, having 2-3 of these guys panning out would make Montreal ALOT better. Poehling, Suzuki, Brook, Romanov, Ylonen and we can go on with a couple of long shot Boom or bust guys.

Matthews > Poehling, Suzuki, Brook, Romanov, Ylonen

We have young players, but our window is only 2 years?

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Matthews > Poehling, Suzuki, Brook, Romanov, Ylonen

We have young players, but our window is only 2 years?

young team with cap probleme already, you think tavares will be prime good his whole contract? once you can relieve some contract, you will have some other contracts to take care off and the depth will obiously suffer.

you have a short term memory, you guys could barely beat us in a poor showing from our team.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't think people have thought this question over enough to realize how the Cap may impact who will win first? If neither win the cup this year. The question of who first gets a lot murkier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->