OT: Montreal music festivals (Heavy MTL/Osheaga etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Unibroue and RJ make some fine beers, yes they do.

Their U brand is bland. But LFDM and Blanche de Chambly are amongst the very best of their genre. The Blanche is probably the best Wit. LFDM is a top-10 Tripel.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Foo fighters at heavy ? Not quite the kind of crowd that listens to them IMO.

There's talk of adding more hard rock bands this year to sell more tickets to a bigger audience. If this means we get bands like soundgarden and alice in chains I'm fine with that but it worries me that a band like foo fighters would be added because they are a huge act. Like headliner big.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
if foo fighters play they will headline.
and would be terrible news for metal fans.
seriously it seems the Rockfest will end up killing Heavy MTL.

i like the band but they should be playing in Montebello, like Offspirng last year. not in the metal festival.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
There's talk of adding more hard rock bands this year to sell more tickets to a bigger audience. If this means we get bands like soundgarden and alice in chains I'm fine with that but it worries me that a band like foo fighters would be added because they are a huge act. Like headliner big.
I'm pretty sure not sure but pretty sure billy talent was there the one year not even close to metal.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Off-topic, but that's some serious beer snobbery if you look down your nose at Unibroue. They are pretty well universally-respected here in the U.S. microbrew scene.

solid scores on Pintley: http://www.pintley.com/search/results/?q=unibroue

I guess we're just so used to it. But Unibroue products are indeed pretty high standard.

Their U brand is bland. But LFDM and Blanche de Chambly are amongst the very best of their genre. The Blanche is probably the best Wit. LFDM is a top-10 Tripel.

Yeah, I was a bit outraged by this post. Boréale probably clouded the comment, but Unibroue is well respected. I'm a proud Chamblyen AND montrealer from the south west. I was born and raised in beer. :laugh:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Yeah, I was a bit outraged by this post. Boréale probably clouded the comment, but Unibroue is well respected. I'm a proud Chamblyen AND montrealer from the south west. I was born and raised in beer. :laugh:

And even then, the Boréale IPA is actually pretty good, and is a great everyday beer at 8,49 for the six-pack.

MrB - You're from Chambly ? The Bedondaine had a weird one this week. BBQ peanuts brown ale... Yep. Pretty interesting.

A music OT thread derailing on beer discussion in waiting for the lineups to be announced. How predictable !

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
And even then, the Boréale IPA is actually pretty good, and is a great everyday beer at 8,49 for the six-pack.

MrB - You're from Chambly ? The Bedondaine had a weird one this week. BBQ peanuts brown ale... Yep. Pretty interesting.

A music OT thread derailing on beer discussion in waiting for the lineups to be announced. How predictable !

When in doubt..............beer. :laugh:

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
For those who missed the annoncement of change for Heavy MTL

le festival Heavy Mtl a accueilli 38 000 festivaliers, c’est-à-dire environ 6000 de moins que l’année d’avant. En entrevue, le vice-président et directeur général d’evenko, Jacques Aubé, confie que certains changements seront apportés au festival. «On est en train de changer un peu l’orientation. Heavy MTL va devenir un peu plus rock. Il va y avoir du changement. On va annoncer ça bientôt», a-t-il laissé savoir. La popularité du Rockfest, maintenant associé au Festival d’été de Québec, ne semble toutefois pas le préoccuper. «Je ne les vois pas comme des concurrents. C’est à une autre période, à un autre endroit et on offre chacun quelque chose de différent», souligne-t-il.

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2014/01/22/evenko-veut-diversifier-son-offre

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
i know its another context, but when i clicked the link about Heavy MTL changes and saw Pink i was so confused lol.

worried about Heavy MTL. but cant judge before seeing the line-up.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
its now officialy called; Heavy Montreal

HEAVY is proud to present its revamped 2014 version: HEAVY MONTRÉAL. The heavy festival you know and love will keep on improving, growing and blowing you away. Always striving to reach a maximum number of fans, the festival continues to widen its horizons by presenting a larger variety of bands to more people, making it possible for the rock. punk and metal family to expand. The same extraordinary experience in a more inclusive atmosphere!

BE THERE: WE’LL ANNOUNCE OUR LINEUP ON MARCH 3RD AT 6PM!

logo: https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/1797509_10152252220239672_582097720_n.jpg

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
If I were a fan of Heavy MTL as it were, I'd be pretty disheartened. Basically they're saying "metal doesn't sell enough, so we need to bring in more popular bands".

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
If I were a fan of Heavy MTL as it were, I'd be pretty disheartened. Basically they're saying "metal doesn't sell enough, so we need to bring in more popular bands".

Sigh..... I hope they don't ruin what has become the best weekend of the summer since it started. I'm worried to see the line up Monday.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Yeah, I am. Didn't go to Bedondaine in a long time though, since I'm at school in Montreal.

I don't think its the metal that doesn't sell.

It's the crappy generic core bands that don't.

Two years in a row I didn't go because it's basically 20-25 core bands with like 5-6 worthwhile bands. That and the prices are high for such a festival of core bands.

Metal sells all over the world, look at germany.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad