Rumor: Montreal Interested in signing Russian forward Vadim Shipachev

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I'm starting to hate Chicago so much....

Panarin, Kempny... Watch them get Shipachev and Dadonov too :rant:

They can literally only get the guys that can sign ELCs because of their cap situation. Shipachev and Dadonov aren't getting ELCs.

The fact that were in on Kempny until the end, including over a team like Buffalo who was reportedly trying to get him really bad, is nice to hear.

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
The fact that were in on Kempny until the end, including over a team like Buffalo who was reportedly trying to get him really bad, is nice to hear.

Well maybe you see it that way and its a positive item i guess but what i see is that were being used as bargaining chips just good enough to make another up the ante... and i'm getting mighty tired of this.:shakehead

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
If he does sign with us,

Who is most likely to be traded, Desharnais, Plekanec or Eller.

I'd hate to see Plekanec or Eller go so I guess it all depends on the return.

They will make him play wing. Therrien loves playing guys with Russian names out of position. On a serious note, can he play Wing?

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Hard question, Plek is the best of the bunch but his salary is very high. Eller and DD might be a toss in the hockey world.

Desharnais is a negative. Like, you can't even trade him for a conditional 7th round pick in 2026. If he had any value, he would have been gone last year. I've said it many times: only way we trade DD is if a 3-4M equally useless guy's coming our way.

Eller is different. Doesn't hold much value, but clearly not a negative.

Makaveli XI

Aug 23, 2015
Desharnais is a negative. Like, you can't even trade him for a conditional 7th round pick in 2026. If he had any value, he would have been gone last year. I've said it many times: only way we trade DD is if a 3-4M equally useless guy's coming our way.

Eller is different. Doesn't hold much value, but clearly not a negative.

Don't you think a team like Carolina would trade for him? Especially if Staal doesn't resign.
A late pick or a prospect that is borderline NHL caliber?

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I'm starting to hate Chicago so much....

Panarin, Kempny... Watch them get Shipachev and Dadonov too :rant:

They can afford the ELC guys like Panarin and Kempny.

Not sure how they can sign UFA guys like Ship and Dadonov though.... just won't fit under the cap.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
They can literally only get the guys that can sign ELCs because of their cap situation. Shipachev and Dadonov aren't getting ELCs.

They can afford the ELC guys like Panarin and Kempny.

Not sure how they can sign UFA guys like Ship and Dadonov though.... just won't fit under the cap.

Watch them sign both with the Shaw/Ladd money (a little bit more than 4M total) :laugh:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Well maybe you see it that way and its a positive item i guess but what i see is that were being used as bargaining chips just good enough to make another up the ante... and i'm getting mighty tired of this.:shakehead

Or maybe MB decided this player is worth only so much and would not go over that amount. Chicago evaluated him a little higher. Looking only at his stats this player looks like a 3rd liner. Do we need another bottom 6 player?

MB needs to look at two forwards for his top six.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Does anyone know the lengths certain teams can go to to woo certain UFAs?

Assume the playing field is somewhat even, so like Toronto vs NYR and not like Edmonton vs LA (yes, I realize taxes and CAD is different...), teams would likely first push the "promise". Basically, if said player will be a top-6, or top pairing D. Present some other data like marketing opportunities and player experiences with the team/city.

I am sure there is the whole wine and dine experience during negotiations, perhaps an all-expenses paid trip to the city. Depending on the contract, money, term and bonuses all come into play.

In some cases, like Toronto and Chicago, the coach and management staff will play a role. While I think Ottawa has NO shot at Stamkos for example, I'm sure having Boucher run that team will give Steve a brief moment to think about it. For others, perhaps playing under Babs or Q will be something a player wants.

It's been said for Panarin, fellow Russians on the Canadiens personally tried to sell the team directly. I will assume if the Canadiens are serious about Stamkos, he and Subban should have had or will have a few conversations. I'm sure Price has credibility so he may vouch for the team as well.

While there could be women, drugs and booze, I cannot say but I would hope any credible team doesn't go this route, but would not shock me if so as this has happened and come out publicly.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Has anyone here watched him playing in KHL and have a good analysis on his talent ? That would be appreciated.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
If he does sign with us,

Who is most likely to be traded, Desharnais, Plekanec or Eller.

I'd hate to see Plekanec or Eller go so I guess it all depends on the return.

I would say Eller is most likely out of the bunch to be traded simply because DD has negative value and Plekanec is the only player out of the bunch that can be a 2C.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I would say Eller is most likely out of the bunch to be traded simply because DD has negative value and Plekanec is the only player out of the bunch that can be a 2C.

This makes us significantly softer though, which goes against what both Bergevin and this board seem focused on.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
I'm starting to believe that the Habs organisation are giving all that information to the press voluntary.

That way Marc Bergevin will be able to say : << you know what? We've tried. Its hard to sign players when you are 30 teams trying. Its hard in this league but we are working hard. At the end of the day, we were in his final choices. >>

And the fans will all eat that ****, because we will have read everywhere during the whole process that we were "this close" to sign him.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I'm starting to believe that the Habs organisation are giving all that information to the press voluntary.

That way Marc Bergevin will be able to say : << you know what? We've tried. Its hard to sign players when you are 30 teams trying. Its hard in this league but we are working hard. At the end of the day, we were in his final choices. >>

And the fans will all eat that ****, because we will have read everywhere during the whole process that we were "this close" to sign him.

I don't think it's voluntary. I really do believe it's hard to convince some of these guys to wanting to play in Montreal. Taxes, language and the pressure

walsy37

Jul 12, 2006
Time to scrap that 'theory ' that MB can't identify talent

Not sure that was a theory - coaching talent that's a different story.

But seriously, this whole circus and public courtship smells just like a setup when he signs with someone else. We were this close....... and it is hard to sign players coming up.

JHabs

HFB Partner
Dec 14, 2007
Montreal
twitter.com
if MB doesn't sign Shipachyov he may lose his **** and grow that beard again. We'll then see a shot of him on an island somewhere trying to make fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad