Rumor: Montreal Interested in signing Russian forward Vadim Shipachev

Status
Not open for further replies.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The top 9 on good teams is often interchangeable in today's NHL..folks on here fret wy too much about who is the second and third center..ice time many nights can b a minute or two of difference....Pleks would still get top two minutes on many nights if ship is signed because he'll be the top penalty killer.

Chuck 1C
Ship 2a
Pleks 2b

You shouldn't fret about one of your top three C's making 5 or 6M..especially if he's the only one and he's a proven vet...such an important position.

Exactly... go for a three line attack if you can.

Ship will get more offensive zone time, and Pleks will take tough matchups a dzone draws in that scenario anyway.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Plekanec constantly generates top 6 worthy numbers while being counted on as the main shut down guy and a revolving door of sub-par wingers more often than he should. I think a lot of Habs fans ought to give him a little more respect. I don't necessarily mind having him on the 3rd line, since he more or less already plays the role of a third liner even if he's on the 2nd line. As long as it works money-wise, might as well enjoy some solid depth. But while we're at it, I'd probably keep Eller as an insurance policy. Move him to the wing, and he can step in down the middle when needed.

Pleks is underappreciated. Last year was a disapointing year for him, yet he still scored 50 pts. First time in forever he didn't get 20 goals. Also a player that we drafted and has been a hab his whole career. Plek on this team is worth 10x as much as Eller+DD combined.

You need to take role into account when it comes with Eller... The few times he's been blessed with decent wingers, he generally delivered good results. He's a solid shut-down guy, a big, physical two-way center, excels at puck possession, and he chips in his fair share of goals. He's a very good 3rd line center, and he usually ups his game in the playoffs, which makes your statement that you can't win with these guys a bit puzzling.

If you can afford it... Sure. Nothing wrong with a St.Louis Blues type of template. But we need to work on our winger depth. We'll need money for that.

Keep Eller as insurance and he can also play wing/top6 if needed. If cap is really needed get rid of DD or both but not Plek. If the team is going to make the playoffs he is a very important part of the team. 50 PT centers don't grow on trees.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Before DD's injury, It was actually pretty close and very possible that DD did average more ice-time than Galchenyuk between october and february.

After a quick check, until February 15(last game until DD got injured), in 57 games, DD had 29 games where he had more ice-time than Galchenyuk (28). DD roughly played 20 minutes more than Galchenyuk between game 1 and 57 before getting injured. That's 70% of the season.

20 minutes over 57 games thats like a bad shift change or two a game. Seems like their ice time was pretty much the same. We can only have hypotheticals with the injury but in the games they played they were pretty close. In the end Chucky played 16 seconds more than Desharnais this season.

I still think DD should be traded off this team but both players got pretty much even ice time this year.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
20 minutes over 57 games thats like a bad shift change or two a game. Seems like their ice time was pretty much the same. We can only have hypotheticals with the injury but in the games they played they were pretty close. In the end Chucky played 16 seconds more than Desharnais this season.

I still think DD should be traded off this team but both players got pretty much even ice time this year.

Which is still ridiculous.

Jay Wolf

Jun 14, 2011
While I hope that isn't true (DD should be moved to wing), I expect Desharnais to play really well this season. He knows it's likely the end otherwise.

I'm done with Davey. In fact the entire organization should be as well! He just doesn't fit what this team needs. He should be waived then bought out if necessary.

Ideally, I would want to trade Plek as well, but Davey's prompt exit is the priority.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
It is ridiculous.

But its also untrue to say DD had more TOI then AG. In fact AG had 16 more seconds per game than DD.

It's a good thing Desharnais got injured other wise there is a good chance the trade rumours this summer have Galchenyuk's name in them.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
What people forget about DD's ice time is that the team literally had 4 top 6 worthy forwards this year.... Thats it 4. When Gallagher was hurt they had 3.

So what is a coach to do? He kept forcing DD in the top 6 cause he sees a guy who had 60 points before, and another season with 50... and another with 40, and says thats a better option than Flynn, Byron, etc.... Which at the end of the day you really can't blame the coach for. You have to blame the GM for not giving MT other options.

Lets not forget the plan was to start DD on the third line, and that actually looked good in October. When Semin didn't work out, and Gallagher hit the shelf, poop really hit the fan with the lineup.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Shipachev is a playmaking center that is really needed on Habs roster. That's one of the biggest need. A passing playmaking center, they don,t have any outside of Desharnais, which shows how it's a huge need.

Apparently Eller is a great playmaker. But we never saw any of it because Therrien. :sarcasm:

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Shipachev is a playmaking center that is really needed on Habs roster. That's one of the biggest need. A passing playmaking center, they don,t have any outside of Desharnais, which shows how it's a huge need.

Galchenyuk is a better playmaker than Desharnais.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Galchenyuk is not only a playmaker he can shoot as well. Put him with a guy like Benn et he's a Tyler Seguin. Its such a shame MB cant get his hands on a solid Center to complement Pacioretty and Galchenyuk.

The irony of this post being in a thread about signing Shipachev is pretty good. Lol

If Bergevin signs him he deserves some praise, I think Ship can be a 50 pt, maybe even a 60pt guy in the NHL.

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015

Honestly, I think MB can turn this team around. He KNOWS he needs to do something before he 100% loses the fanbase, and his job.

I'm still an MB supporter, and I'm going into next season with an open mind on Therrien.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
So...Plekanec doesn't have a hold lot of power with his teamates....Bergevin just needs to know which players are the Hawks interested in and....move elsewhere and sign other players before the Hawks become interested...

Makaveli XI

Aug 23, 2015
If he does sign with us,

Who is most likely to be traded, Desharnais, Plekanec or Eller.

I'd hate to see Plekanec or Eller go so I guess it all depends on the return.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
If he does sign with us,

Who is most likely to be traded, Desharnais, Plekanec or Eller.

I'd hate to see Plekanec or Eller go so I guess it all depends on the return.

Hard question, Plek is the best of the bunch but his salary is very high. Eller and DD might be a toss in the hockey world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad