Rumor: Montreal Interested in signing Russian forward Vadim Shipachev

Status
Not open for further replies.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
Great. So we can put to rest a theory that never existed. Though....with all the stats that Shipachev has given his team over the years....I'M pretty sure you would have been able to identify that talent. Last time Bergevin "identified" a talent that wasn't so obvious.....you know the end-result of that....;)

You conveniently remember only what suits your argument... as do most of us ;)

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I agree, at least we have (apparently) been interested in him since April, before almost anybody here knew who he was. That's why I don't think this isn't a "me too!" situation where we're hopping on the bandwagon of the guy who led the WHC in points just because everyone else is after him. It does seem like we've been in the race the longest, or one of the longest.

On the other hand...Bergevin needs a win. Shipachev may not be a Stamkos or Okposo or whoever but it would at least be something. You can say "it takes 2 to tango, Bergevin can't be blamed if Shipachev wants to go elsewhere"...and on one hand I get that, but on the other hand, if Bergevin finds trades so hard or doesn't want to give up the pieces necessary to get a good player in a trade, then he needs to start turning in some wins in the free agency market. Otherwise he's running out of avenues with which he can use to improve the team.

this is a good point too

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
I'm not going to complain about this but once again MB going for unproven cheap option rather than addressing our top 6 issues with proven talent. There's still free agency coming so I'll reserve judgement until then.

Ginu

Feb 25, 2009
www.twitter.com
It's possible the Habs put him on the right wing with Pacioretty and Galchenyuk. It saves him from the defensive responsibility of center and puts him with skilled players.

Then on the second line you target a left winger to put with Plekanec and Gallagher.

Third line: Lekhonen - Eller - Ghetto

Fourth line: DLR - Danault - Byron

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co

Good to see a KHL source corroborating with what was reported by LJdM.

We need talent, badly. Therrien needs to get his head out of his ass and figure out how to use that talent properly instead of banishing them to the press box as well though.

If Shipachev doesn't pan out then i'm not sure how MB doesn't start to look at Therrien as the problem. Too many of Bergevin's additions have come and failed under him.

Hoping for the best because we need something to go right.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
Grant is now saying at least one NHL team has been told he can't come this year and negotiations would be for 2017-18.

Way to stomp our enthusiasm. The big snag is he has to buy out his own contract and NHL teams can't do it. So they'd have to inflate his AAV accordingly to help him afford it.

bloudy

Feb 12, 2015
East Vancouver
I'm starting to believe that the Habs organisation are giving all that information to the press voluntary.

That way Marc Bergevin will be able to say : << you know what? We've tried. Its hard to sign players when you are 30 teams trying. Its hard in this league but we are working hard. At the end of the day, we were in his final choices. >>

And the fans will all eat that ****, because we will have read everywhere during the whole process that we were "this close" to sign him.

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I was also thinking this. Whose to say the Habs were actually after him early on?!

With our brilliant recent track record (Semin, Sekac), I can't see any Russians coming to Montreal. I'd say he's more likely to end up on a contender like Washington.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Any snag in contract status between leagues can be worked out if the will is there.

Molson is rich enough to buy half of Siberia if he wants. He can work things out with Vadim's team, no doubt there. He allowed Semin to flee back in Russia last fall, that's got to count for something.

Not that I'm particularly sold on Shipachev, as these low-risk bets haven't paid a single time for Bergevin.

walsy37

Jul 12, 2006
I don't understand what the "snag" is. If this is a contractual thing, didn't anyone (not just MB) do their diligence? Is his contract just now becoming an issue?

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Would it be considered tampering if the Habs used their ressources to buyout his contract or give Ship the money?

Yes. Toronto was fined $500k and forfeited a 4th round draft pick because Jonas Frogren used part of the signing bonus he got from the Leafs to buy out his contract.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Yes. Toronto was fined $500k and forfeited a 4th round draft pick because Jonas Frogren used part of the signing bonus he got from the Leafs to buy out his contract.

Damn that's a blast from the past. Frogren :laugh:

I would assume it'd be a even higher pick too considering how highly touted Ship is. At the end of the day wasting a second for him would be a big risk.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
weird, he's only 6'0 but looks huge of the few videos ive seen.

and as far as his contract is concerned, if he has one year left my guess is he'd have to finish it before coming over. or he could pull a kovalchuk and retire there then come over here. as far as i know that would be the only legal way for this to be handled

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
$500k and 4th round draft pick

giphy.gif

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
All this means is his team wants to be compensated for his option year

Habs going to have to pay up, that's all

Ginu

Feb 25, 2009
www.twitter.com
And he's already 29. For 2017-2018, he'll be 30 turning 31 mid season.

Why are we so useless that we can't discover these big issues beforehand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad