OT: Montreal Impact Thread - Impactada Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Central defense is more of a need in my book, someone to pair with Binks would really help us going forward. Can Bassong play CB?

Our needs are really everywhere. We only had Kizza and ZBG as fullbacks as Corrales and Raitala are goners. Bassong fits a need. Who knows if Wanyama will be back at all so we need CBs, DM/CM/CAM, CF basically.

I wonder too if we will be able to fill a team in that Concacaf game. Technically, because we opted out of some options, guys like Raitala, Bojan, Corrales and AJH can choose to not play in that game... and that makes me think. What happens if we somehow win and go through? Can we bring new players for the next games? It's going to be so dumb if that happens...

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Guys I found the truth.

We are being called Montreal FC now because we're going back to USL

(feels bad for Ultras, we're going to lose some songs)

Reactions: TRG

Krnage

Nov 22, 2010
Quebec
Montreal FC
60KP.gif

Last edited:

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Sure, go ahead and choose an English name. That won't raise eyebrows and bring the wrath of the OLF upon you. Idiots. What's wrong With the name?

Technically, they were called Montreal Impact FC (or Impact Montreal FC as was #IMFC used so much). I still don't get why they dropped the Impact name.

Olfer

Apr 25, 2019
Rouyn-Noranda
In a way I understand, "Impact" is dated. But on the other hand, if every European club had changed their identity every time a new trend emerged... You dont just change your identity like your change a pair of socks. Plenty of wack names in Euro soccer too.

I think a logo change is more important. The current one is pretty bland. I just hope they will keep the fleur de lys.

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020
I love the team name and acknowledge the history, but a rebrand wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. Among casuals the Impact have a reputation for being a small market, cheap team run by Saputo and co that bring in old Italians and lose. It’s a dated mindset, but it’s still pervasive among the sports fans here that only care about the Habs. I still have to dispel all of these myths when I talk soccer with friends and family.

With the way the league is moving with big teams like Inter Miami, LAFC, etc, the Impact brand feels dated both in its perception and its naming convention. It also prevents a CPL team from stealing the name and infringing on the Impact.

I find Montreal FC a bit generic, but I get what I think Gilmore wants to do with this. A new start with a new president, new Sporting Director, new big name coach, new vision, etc. Communicate that clearly to the public with a rebrand and a new logo and try to refresh the image of the team in the Montreal market.

Reactions: TRG and JtotheC

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
on the plus side, the chant where you'd spell out IMPACT before jumping around will get to the jumping around part much faster now

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
I think Gilmore wanted the club to move away from its amateurish image but couldn’t we be a bit more creative than Montreal FC?

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Sad

With this so called 'president' that knows nothing about soccer changing the whole brand to something even more boring it makes me wanna support Montreal CPL project even more.

If you wanna change the identity whatever that means get some good players. The rest will come itself..

Chicago had the same vision for their team, supporters stood up and said no way in hell. I hope we do the same

Montreal FC is so boring it makes me sleepy

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020
at least change it to CS (club sportif) Montreal or CF Montreal to keep the language uniqueness

or Royal Montreal if you want something bilingual
Agreed these would be much better. I'd imagine they'd just do CF Montreal/ Montreal FC to cover their bases. Much prefer CS though or AS.

Reactions: ArtPeur
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad