OT: Montreal Impact Thread - Impactada Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012

Forge FC out of Concacaf League (Concacaf's Europa League). Former impact, Johan Venegas is top scorer of this competition with 4 goals so far.

Careful to Impact not underestimating Central American teams...

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
It's like being called the Tigers in NCAA football. Clemson, LSU, Auburn, Missouri, Memphis, and there's probably a few more.

Reactions: ArtPeur

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
lowkey this

Impact sounds great in chants, but, in my mind, it always had a « childish » or « family-activity » connotation to it

It does sound 90s and baby-boomeresque. But we got attached to it :laugh::(. It's true that it does not sound major / big league. But changing for Montréal Effcé, tabarnak.... More bland than beige and brown socks. I'd prefer l'Olympique de Montréal, personally.

Olfer

Apr 25, 2019
Rouyn-Noranda
It does sound 90s and baby-boomeresque. But we got attached to it :laugh::(. It's true that it does not sound major / big league. But changing for Montréal Effcé, tabarnak.... More bland than beige and brown socks. I'd prefer l'Olympique de Montréal, personally.
Not another OM please!

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
I really don’t mind. I get what they are trying to do. We always push back on change, but this one makes sense for connecting with the City and being taken more seriously imo.

their nickname will be the impact anyways. Like the Foxes or Wolves.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I really don’t mind. I get what they are trying to do. We always push back on change, but this one makes sense for connecting with the City and being taken more seriously imo.

their nickname will be the impact anyways. Like the Foxes or Wolves.

I don't see how people will see that as connecting with the city, but I majored in Finance, not marketing, so that might be it.

Last edited:

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I don't see how people will see that as a connecting with the city, but I majored in Finance, not marketing, so that might be it.

I am in marketing, it is a crap idea. It is destroying your whole brand to start over because... reasons?

They interviewed Ray Lalonde on RDS, he said it was stupid too.

Not that Impact is the greatest name ever, it kind of suck, but it is our name. It is unique, it is recognized. Everybody in the province knows that l'Impact de Montréal is our soccer team. You have good brand identity with 30 years history. Change the logo, sure. Modify the shirts, perfect. Change the name? I honestly do not get it. Especially not for something as generic and stupid as "Montreal FC". Impact de Montréal Football Club work just fine.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Don't mind the name change, never liked the name "Impact". And most internationals that talk about us say Montreal football club or the Montreal MLS team. They never mention our name probably because it's weird and bush league

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
at least change it to CS (club sportif) Montreal or CF Montreal to keep the language uniqueness

or Royal Montreal if you want something bilingual

Royal Montréal with fleur de lys?

I disagree about Impact having a good brand identity. Yes we know it, yes it's known, yes it has history. But potential fans look down on it, it sounds amateurish.

That said, Montreal FC is generic. We can do better.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
I am in marketing, it is a crap idea. It is destroying your whole brand to start over because... reasons?

They interviewed Ray Lalonde on RDS, he said it was stupid too.

Whole MLS community think this is stupid. From TFC fans to Galaxy fans.

If they wanted to change their name, they should've done it before entering MLS. The only team I could think that they did some major rebrand to my knowledge is Kansas City, they went from Kansas City Wizards to SKC. Then again, they were playing at a local baseball park. New England Revs were pressured to change their name, they always refused.

Now What about everyone that bought all the gears, all the scarves, jerseys etc? You have to throw it out because of a new name? What about the big players coming, CL finals, Conference finals, Porter goal and all the memories? Sends the wrong message. Ironically, stadium was always packed back then.

I warned y'all when Gilmore was hired, saying he would bring this team down the drain. Now look in less than 2 years, he thinks ppl in Europe are following this team while ratings for games are going down and thinks we care about his annoying marketing team with the esthetic. This isn't real estate, all we want is good players.

Idk if true but if it's to stop Montreal CPL team from being named Montreal FC this is just pathetic. I hope Montreal CPL name comes up with something corny Idc, Montreal Fusion SC, Montreal Jazz SC, bring it. Even Montreal Impact CS :naughty:

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Elsewhere in MLS

He played a solid game against us back in 2015.

He'll join Austin and Miguel Layun is on his way there. Hector Moreno has been rumored for months. Right there is already a solid backline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad