OT: Montreal Impact Thread - Impactada Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Yeah, everyone is penciling him in behind Kizza, but Kizza is still an unproven MLS player. Either way, it’s good to have two young guys with potential. That way, regardless of who finds more immediate success the club can grab a nice profit on a sale and still have a second young player that can step in.

I also like that Zorhan can play both sides (mostly LB, but can also be RB as he's good with both feet). That provides depth and quality on both sides. ZBG ate a lot of minutes this year, but the team had no one else to play there. Henry had to try out Shome and Piette for crying out loud lol

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Contract extension for Romell Quioto

Contract extension for Romell Quioto

Forward Romell Quioto signs a new two-year contract with the Montreal Impact, with an option for 2023.

So that more than likely means a raise for 2021 as he was already under contract for next year. Nothing wrong with paying the man, but I think it's going to be tough for him to repeat or even improve on his performance. Hopefully he proves me wrong...

Reactions: Adam Michaels

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020
Forward Romell Quioto signs a new two-year contract with the Montreal Impact, with an option for 2023.

So that more than likely means a raise for 2021 as he was already under contract for next year. Nothing wrong with paying the man, but I think it's going to be tough for him to repeat or even improve on his performance. Hopefully he proves me wrong...
Agreed, that’s my main concern with him too but with any luck he’ll have a better supporting cast and won’t have to carry the load himself.

The good news is that he played well. It’s not like he got lucky in the box and was banging in sitters. He created a lot of his own chances so as long as he keeps making plays and disrupting the defence he should be a positive contributor to the offence, even if his actual goal output dips a bit.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
They need to play Quioto in a more striker role next year. Someone who isn't going to be relied upon to do a lot of running or moving of the ball. I just don't think the ball movement aspect is in his general repetoire and the Impact need to get away from the whole U9 strategies of kicking it deep and hoping your player can outrun theres. They need to start playing, ya know, soccer.

I'd still like to have a diamond esque shape up front next year. Based on current roster this is what I would like. Piette for sure 100% needs to go as a starter. We simply can't anymore have 1 dimensional players in the midfield and that's what he is. He's a player that is afraid of the ball as evidenced by the fact that every time he gets the ball, he doesn't know what to do with it. Sit him on the bench and bring him on to defend the lead but any team that has him in the starting 9 is one that's destined to go nowhere.

Wanyama. I think if there's an option to let him go, you should. While he does bring some, I just don't think he's shown that he has the fitness and offensive push to do what needs to be done unless you do the second formation but it does look a bit weird. Though that would be the general idea.

Simply put, we are never attacking with enough players to do anything meaninful. The way the team played last year, whether because of formation and/or players, almost every play ended up 1v1, 1v2, 2v2 or 2v3. That's not how soccer is played. You attack with minimum 5 and defend with minimum 7. Otherwise you're screwed.

I've been saying for a long time that the biggest need for this team are quality midfielders. Not forwards or a striker because you can get the best striker in the world but if you don't have the players to either get the ball to him, and be there with the fitness and skill to support and move the ball, it won't matter who that striker is.

----------Quioto---------
---Lappy----------Toye---
----------Bojan/??-------
---Someone------Someone
Kizza Binks Waterman ZBG

OR......

-----------Quioto---------
-Lappy----------------Toye
-------????-------????-----
---------Wanyama--------
Kizza Binks Waterman ZBG

Reactions: ArtPeur

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Yeah, everyone is penciling him in behind Kizza, but Kizza is still an unproven MLS player. Either way, it’s good to have two young guys with potential. That way, regardless of who finds more immediate success the club can grab a nice profit on a sale and still have a second young player that can step in.
Agreed there, the back situation has improved. I do believe both could eventually be sold, Kizza showed some flashes.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
They need to play Quioto in a more striker role next year. Someone who isn't going to be relied upon to do a lot of running or moving of the ball. I just don't think the ball movement aspect is in his general repetoire and the Impact need to get away from the whole U9 strategies of kicking it deep and hoping your player can outrun theres. They need to start playing, ya know, soccer.

I'd still like to have a diamond esque shape up front next year. Based on current roster this is what I would like. Piette for sure 100% needs to go as a starter. We simply can't anymore have 1 dimensional players in the midfield and that's what he is. He's a player that is afraid of the ball as evidenced by the fact that every time he gets the ball, he doesn't know what to do with it. Sit him on the bench and bring him on to defend the lead but any team that has him in the starting 9 is one that's destined to go nowhere.

Wanyama. I think if there's an option to let him go, you should. While he does bring some, I just don't think he's shown that he has the fitness and offensive push to do what needs to be done unless you do the second formation but it does look a bit weird. Though that would be the general idea.

Simply put, we are never attacking with enough players to do anything meaninful. The way the team played last year, whether because of formation and/or players, almost every play ended up 1v1, 1v2, 2v2 or 2v3. That's not how soccer is played. You attack with minimum 5 and defend with minimum 7. Otherwise you're screwed.

I've been saying for a long time that the biggest need for this team are quality midfielders. Not forwards or a striker because you can get the best striker in the world but if you don't have the players to either get the ball to him, and be there with the fitness and skill to support and move the ball, it won't matter who that striker is.

----------Quioto---------
---Lappy----------Toye---
----------Bojan/??-------
---Someone------Someone
Kizza Binks Waterman ZBG

OR......

-----------Quioto---------
-Lappy----------------Toye
-------????-------????-----
---------Wanyama--------
Kizza Binks Waterman ZBG

i agree with a lot of what you said, but our biggest issue was defence. Even before a midfield upgrade, we need a top tier CB to command the defenders and help them grow. Binks, ZBG and Kizza (briefly) earned starting roles. They need to be led and insulated. Thats how they continue to progress so the club can make some noise and Money in the long term.

Krnage

Nov 22, 2010
Quebec
another interesting news from the TFC

TFC declined the contract option on winger Pablo Piatti, who had four goals and four assists in his first season in MLS. The move opens a DP spot for one of the highest spending teams in MLS.:naughty:

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Hard to get excited about a move like this. An international that won't move the needle offensively isn't exactly a need on our roster. Also not a good sign that he's been out of a contract for 6 months at the age of 25.

This is purely based on stats and level of comp, but he seems unimpressive. Hoping they target a mf at least better than Taider!

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Hard to get excited about a move like this. An international that won't move the needle offensively isn't exactly a need on our roster. Also not a good sign that he's been out of a contract for 6 months at the age of 25.

Put an asterisk on that last remark. A lot of teams stopped spending on transfers this Summer due to covid. It was really quiet. Our DM depth is not there right now, ideally you have your internationals as starters. Maybe he could replace Wanyama for cheaper and with less quality and instead you use the DP tag up front?

Reactions: willzyix
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad