OT: Montreal Impact Thread: 2021 2012 1992 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Maybe it’s a younger generation thing (not that I’m old) but I barely ever hear it referred to as “foot”. I’ll take your word for it though!

I'll sometimes say foot instead of soccer or american football but it doesn't happen often.

The logo looks really dumb on the MLS website like @Olfer noted

Reactions: Olfer

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Was anybody convinced as to why the name-change was required? I feel like they've thrown that under the rug.

I'm not sure if I missed that part. The only thing I remember was about "evolving". We're pokemons.

:o

giphy.gif

Reactions: QuebecPride

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020
Was anybody convinced as to why the name-change was required? I feel like they've thrown that under the rug.
They basically said that Saputo wanted the name Impact to denote that his team wanted to make an impact on the local and Quebec soccer scene. Gilmore said "mission accomplished" but to take the next step and evolve you have be more than a local market club, so they wanted global branding.

Habidelidoo

Aug 3, 2005
Would have preferred Club de Socc, nobody use the word Foot around me (except for NFL).

But it's still better than the previously rumoured Montreal Football Club.

Not too sure about the snowflake logo though.

Last edited:
Reactions: TRG

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
This name change thing was so overdue. Finally we sound like a real club. Now they must upgrade the players lol.

Turtleneck Plek

Real Life
Mar 23, 2008
Montreal
Something keeps coming back to me from the presentation: Gilmore and Kingsley played a lot on the "unique snowflake" thing, on the things that make Montreal different from the rest of the MLS cities, etc..

Yet, they gave us another round logo with the team name going around it. There are six teams in MLS alone with similar logos. If they loved the snowflake so much, I wish they had the guts to go with just the snowflake-shaped logo. That would've been truly singular, if not good-looking lol. I know they explained the circle shape as "the water that goes around the Montreal island" but it just doesn't cut it for me.

They went super hard on the edgy modern creative vibes for their campaign and settled for the worst of both worlds: a gutsy logo inside the most generic possible shape and overused "modern" logo type.

Olfer

Apr 25, 2019
Rouyn-Noranda
It would have been better without the circle. But then they wouldn't have been able to put the fleur de lys and the blue. Making everyone happy is tough.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
They basically said that Saputo wanted the name Impact to denote that his team wanted to make an impact on the local and Quebec soccer scene. Gilmore said "mission accomplished" but to take the next step and evolve you have be more than a local market club, so they wanted global branding.

Still makes no sense.

Justin Kingsley will be at Jic tonight, hopefully he answers some of those questions.

Stanley Cup

Bettman's ice bucket
Jul 15, 2010
Québec
Perhaps but the ''people'' like me represent maybe 95%+ of the fans watching games in the stands or on TV.

You want success? you need to pay... look at Toronto. Their name is bland and boring as well and what is the logo again? wow a big T! But they pay to get players to score goals and play some defence...

Call them the Montreal pink bananas for all I care, if they score 4 goals a game a win a MLS championship everyone will be happy IMO.
If you want the club to have repeated success off the field, you need to be further within the marketing funnel and create engagement. When you stick to the awareness level, you get people who will leave you for a better product at the first chance they have. It's like acquiring clients only because you have the cheapest price at the moment. You do not survive based on those. Loyalty is what makes you thrive and that's why identity is that important.

Reactions: willzyix

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
They could have least make an actual soccer ball with the snowflake? Like something more appropriate for a foot club. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad