HF Habs: Montreal Canadiens Draft (#3, #35, #38, #56, #62, #66, #97, #102, #122 & #128)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
You're bound to hit two out of the park with all those top 60 picks. If you don't smash at least two of those picks the scouting staff should be cut.
The Habs had 7 top 60 picks between 2012 and 2013. They ended up with Galchenyuk, Thrower, Collberg, Fucale, De la Rose and Lekhonen.

The draft is a crap shoot. Higher picks give you a potentially higher success rate, but there are no guarantees.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Habs had 7 top 60 picks between 2012 and 2013. They ended up with Galchenyuk, Thrower, Collberg, Fucale, De la Rose and Lekhonen.

The draft is a crap shoot. Higher picks give you a potentially higher success rate, but there are no guarantees.

Every draft year varies by a bit. But yes, the probability of hitting a impact player in the 2nd round is like 5% +/- (usually 1 or 2 guys per draft). However, we do have 4 picks and the talent does seem to be there this year. Especially in the early parts of the 2nd round where we have two picks at 35 and 38.

Look at the comparison between Fucale and Rodrique. Fucale was a fringe 1st round ranking heading into the draft and Rodrique is a fringe 2nd round ranking heading into this draft. I think the depth is there in that 2nd round. More than usual

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Fucale is a fringe prospect. McNiven is on the smaller side. Primeau has showed promise and Hawkey is still a question mark.

While we are knee deep there aren't a lot of good ones.

With that said Ufas is one area to look. Goalies also don't seem to have much value when they're traded. Keyword is when, though. Rarely do you see a high-end goalie dealt. Way more often than not it's a promising back up.

I don't think Fucale is even coming back with the way they handled him at least.

McNiven had a tough year but in the games I saw he wasn't bad at all. He seemed to be fine, looking solid maybe lets in 1 or 2 goals but not bad ones but then all the sudden later in the game he lets in 1 or 2 goals and then the game that he seemed to have under control gets away from him. I still think he has good upside but he's going to have to be much better. I like how he's very aggressive.

Hawkey I have said that I think he's likely our most underrated prospect around here. He was his teams MVP at least in the 2nd half of the season. I read where some Providence fans were comparing his play this year to that of former Providence goalie Jon Gillies and said he was playing at Gillies level. I expect a big year from him next season as his problem has been consistency. But I really like his game overall. Very solid positionally, always seems very calm and doesn't get rattled. Good size as well.

Primeau just had one of the best seasons an 18 year old goalie has had in the NCAA. He was one of the best goalies in the NCAA and if you take out his rough start early in the year he was I believe 2nd best goalie stats wise for the rest of the year. Next year will be a big test for him as he had the top line in the NCAA playing in front of him and now they are all gone so they are going to be a much different team and he's going to have to lead the way. He should be a shoe in for Team USA at the WJC's unless he struggles next year.

I know the NCAA has several very interesting undrafted FA goalies including the best goalie in the NCAA that was a teammate of Jake Evans so hopefully he can put in a good word although he may be opting to stay at Notre Dame another year. So when we have so many holes to fill in our farm system, goalies are the least of our worries as we are likely stuck with Price for a long time so I wouldn't tie up any picks this year and not any high picks for a little while until we see what we have.

Lindgren should see more time in the NHL next year, if he's not the backup. So we'll have a better idea of what he can do. McNiven should see more time in the AHL, if Lindgren is the backup I hope they plan on giving him regular playing time instead of having him sit so much. If so we'll see how he responds. Hawkey should have a big Senior year imo, then he will turn pro the following season so we'll get a look at how he does. Primeau will have another year or two in the NCAA and then he should turn pro so we'll see how he does.

Last edited:

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
All teams start with 7 picks, one in each round. Habs are heading into this with 9 picks, and all in the first 5 rounds, with 6 of those 9 picks in the first 3 rounds and 7 of those 9 in the Top-100. That is real good.

On cap friendly we're listed as having 10 picks.

#3 and #35 are simalar to 2 1sts,

#38 and #56 is 2 2nds,

#58 and #66 is better than 2 3rds,

#97 and #102 is 2 4ths

#123 and #128 is better than 2 5ths

so like 2 drafts minus the 6th and 7th round pikcs.

Reactions: Redux91

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
I would trade one of the last 2nd round pick for getting rid of Alzner if it would be enough......

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
On cap friendly we're listed as having 10 picks.

#3 and #35 are simalar to 2 1sts,

#38 and #56 is 2 2nds,

#58 and #66 is better than 2 3rds,

#97 and #102 is 2 4ths

#123 and #128 is better than 2 5ths

so like 2 drafts minus the 6th and 7th round pikcs.

Shows how good I am at math. I created this thread and I even listed all the picks in the title. So I should know they have 10 instead of 9. :laugh::oops:

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
Here's an article from last year showing draft pick success rate:

https://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-nhl-draft-pick-value-1.786131

From 1990-2013 the chances of drafting a top 6 forward/top 4 defenceman/number 1 goalie in the 2nd round was not much higher than 10%. We will be very lucky to get one good player out of the four 2nds. Third liners or third pairing D would also be good picks though.

Scanning random draft years in hockeydb you typically find 3-4 good NHLers in the 2nd round. It's up to the scouts to find these guys. Timmins needs to get it done this year.

These statistics prove how unrealistic most peoples expectations of a prospect are and also how we often overrate draft picks.
For example. On average a pick between #4 & #10 OA only has a 41% chance of becoming a top 6 forward or top 4 d-man.

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
Im surprised no one is talking about drafting Milos Roman with one of the 2nds. Bigtime sleeper in my opinion.

Really like his numbers for a rookie whl season not coming from a pro league. And he's a center to boot !

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You can have as many picks as you can trade for. There's no limit. The issue when you go above 12 is signing all these guys to NHL contracts as there is a maximum of 50 contracts allowed per team.

Some of them won’t be offered contracts till later on. Look how long Evans got a contract. But I get your point. It could snowball into a 50+ contract situation down the road

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad