HF Habs: Montreal Canadiens Draft (#3, #35, #38, #56, #62, #66, #97, #102, #122 & #128)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd draft him with one of the late 2nd rounders. He's mainly projected from 35-60. If we get him in late 2nd round, that's be nice. But if he falls to the 3rd round thats a steal.

I was checking him out. 32pts in 39 games. Always seems to be close to a point per game everywhere he plays. He is already 18. Will be interesting too see what he does next year at age 18/19

Habby Patty

May 7, 2018
Ontario
We need to pick up at least 2 centres with the first 5-6 picks. Our picks and when the center depth in this draft starts is perfect. I feel like with 35 and 38 we should take Groulx, Wise, Sandin or any projected first rounders who snuck out of the first round. This draft is HUGE for Montreal. Im honestly a huge fan in rebuilding so I wouldn't mind us losing the next 2-3-4 years and building though the draft. A lot of good centres in the draft next year!

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Im surprised no one is talking about drafting Milos Roman with one of the 2nds. Bigtime sleeper in my opinion.

Every time I hear or read the name Milos, I think of this:

KnE3gsN.gif

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
I would think that if they go with the BPA at 3rd, which would be Zadina, they'd focus on defense and centers for their following picks. To me, the best of the rest who'll probably be available in the second round are, in order: Alexeyev (D), McIsaac (D), Dellandrea (C), Addison (D), Wise (C), Woo (D), Tychonik (D), Groulx (C) and Beaudin (D). Groulx and Beaudin might still be there for the later picks in that round. No star potential there though (...well, maybe Wise). Just solid players. Alexeyev is physically and defensively almost ready for the NHL which could be huge for a second round pick, especially for the Habs... AND he's a LD.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ethan Wiles

Habby Patty

May 7, 2018
Ontario
I see potential in Groulx. He just has to be developed well by Montreal. I feel like he could be a good 2nd line centre at his ceiling. As for Alexeyev, I doubt he falls out of the first round but it would be very nice to get a LD like him considering his size and maturity for his age.

Reactions: BobbyShehan

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I see potential in Groulx. He just has to be developed well by Montreal. I feel like he could be a good 2nd line centre at his ceiling. As for Alexeyev, I doubt he falls out of the first round but it would be very nice to get a LD like him considering his size and maturity for his age.

There isn't any potential in Groulx. His father is a highly touted coach. He's received all the professional coaching throughout his entire life that he could possibly get. He's gotten all the ice time he could ever need. He's had every opportunity. Those politics lead to him being drafted into the Q far higher than he deserved.

I've seen a lot of his games. WYSIWYG, there's nothing in his game that will translate to many points at the next level. The most he's going to be is a bottom line player because of his good 'coached habits' all around the ice.

If you removed his name, his Q draft status and watched the Mooseheads, you would think he was a run in the mill, 19 year old hockey player who's going to flip burgers after his final junior year

Reactions: groovejuice

Habby Patty

May 7, 2018
Ontario
What are everyones thoughts on trading down from 3rd with other teams in the 5-10 range so we could get Kotkaniemi? I dont know if im a fan myself but I do find it interesting. Detroit would probably offer up both their firsts so we could get another 1st rounder, draft Kotkaniemi and keep all of our 2nds.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
For the 2nd round it becomes really hard to predict who will be there.....
But if Nils Lundkvist, Ryan Merkley or Liam Foudy are still there, which i doubt, that would be a no brainer for me.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
What are everyones thoughts on trading down from 3rd with other teams in the 5-10 range so we could get Kotkaniemi? I dont know if im a fan myself but I do find it interesting. Detroit would probably offer up both their firsts so we could get another 1st rounder, draft Kotkaniemi and keep all of our 2nds.

I'm more of a fan of getting Zadina at 3 and trading Patches to move into the top 15 range. Then add a 2nd rounder with that first and try to get closer to 10 and draft Kotkaniemi
Easier said then done but it would be a strategy that I would go for if I was GM

Reactions: Gains

Habby Patty

May 7, 2018
Ontario
I'm more of a fan of getting Zadina at 3 and trading Patches to move into the top 15 range. Then add a 2nd rounder with that first and try to get closer to 10 and draft Kotkaniemi
Easier said then done but it would be a strategy that I would go for if I was GM

Yeah that sounds good but like you said easier said then done. I really hope we can somehow move up to get Kotkaniemi and then focus on D prospects with our 2nd rounders.

Habby Patty

May 7, 2018
Ontario
For the 2nd round it becomes really hard to predict who will be there.....
But if Nils Lundkvist, Ryan Merkley or Liam Foudy are still there, which i doubt, that would be a no brainer for me.
Im not so sure about Merkley but Lundkvist looks solid he just needs to grow some more and bulk up. Foudy looks decent but I feel like we can pick him with one of the later 2nds.

OB5

May 2, 2015
Im not so sure about Merkley but Lundkvist looks solid he just needs to grow some more and bulk up. Foudy looks decent but I feel like we can pick him with one of the later 2nds.
Scott Wheeler from The Athletic LOVES Merkley...like thinks he should go much higher than where he's ranked.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

I don't mind picking Foudy with our high 2nd rounder either....probably one of the best skater (top 5) in the entire draft and skating is really important in today's NHL.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Just rechecked 2nd rounds from 2010-11-12-13-14. Sorry but its a 10-1 bust-success ratio. Found 12 good nhlers out of 155 picks. 5 in 2009. 6 in 2008. 3 in 2007. Pretty consistent.

It's hard to remember the exact hype there was for each draft year and compare it to the hype of this year being a deep draft. I suspect the amount of impact players that comes from the 2nd round varies by year to year and you can come up with an average of 2 guys per year (+/-). So the question is this... Is 2018 a deep enough draft where this offsets the average and we end up with 4-6 impact players from the 2nd round this year?

Look at a guy like Wise. Would he be a 1st round pick in previous years or the same as this year. A middle ish 2nd round ranking?

That's where I stand for this draft. I realize that the 2nd round gives us no guarantees with those 4 picks but then I wonder how deep it actually is compared to other years. Where does the deep depth stop and become normal like all other years. Is there really typical 1st round picks towards the middle (or later parts) of the 2nd round this year? Of course we can use hindsight evaluation later but what do we think today?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

What are the chances Kotkaniemi and Hughes or Smith are available at 11th and 12th? Lets say we draft Zadina at 3rd and all 3 are available when the Islanders pick at 11th. Islanders are interested in trading both 11th and 12th picks for Zadina if we add a 2nd or 3rd. Would you do it?

What are the chances Kotkaniemi, Hughes, or Smith are available? What if you have to settle for Smith and Veleno if you made trade before we picked 3rd. Also, would you be ok with Kotkaniemi and Smith?

My top 9 locks are: Dahling, Svechnikov, Zadina, Boqvist, Tkachuck, Walhstrom, Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson. That leaves open spot for Kotkaniemi, Veleno, Hayton, Smith, or whoever else you feel is a fringe top 10 pick.

Would you be ok with picking 2 from what is left over when you pick 11th and 12th? Or would you rather keep Zadina

Habby Patty

May 7, 2018
Ontario
What are the chances Kotkaniemi and Hughes or Smith are available at 11th and 12th? Lets say we draft Zadina at 3rd and all 3 are available when the Islanders pick at 11th. Islanders are interested in trading both 11th and 12th picks for Zadina if we add a 2nd or 3rd. Would you do it?

What are the chances Kotkaniemi, Hughes, or Smith are available? What if you have to settle for Smith and Veleno if you made trade before we picked 3rd. Also, would you be ok with Kotkaniemi and Smith?

My top 9 locks are: Dahling, Svechnikov, Zadina, Boqvist, Tkachuck, Walhstrom, Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson. That leaves open spot for Kotkaniemi, Veleno, Hayton, Smith, or whoever else you feel is a fringe top 10 pick.

Would you be ok with picking 2 from what is left over when you pick 11th and 12th? Or would you rather keep Zadina
No its to big of a risk for Montreal to do that prior the 10th and 11th picks. It would be like trading Zadina and a 2nd for Veleno and Smith. Not worth. Kotkaniemi nor Hughes are making it out of the top 10. Bouchard and Dobson are pretty safe picks and dont have much ceiling. Dobson a bit more then Bouchard but still. I'd much rather keep Zadina and if we do move him then for a selection from 5-10

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No its to big of a risk for Montreal to do that prior the 10th and 11th picks. It would be like trading Zadina and a 2nd for Veleno and Smith. Not worth. Kotkaniemi nor Hughes are making it out of the top 10. Bouchard and Dobson are pretty safe picks and dont have much ceiling. Dobson a bit more then Bouchard but still. I'd much rather keep Zadina and if we do move him then for a selection from 5-10

I'm not so sure all other teams are as high as Kotkaniemi as we are on these boards. I think the Blackhawks will be drafting a center though. I think he's a 8-12 range pick, not a sure top 10. As far as Hughes, I think he is a top 10 pick and will go top 10.

So...

- Habs draft Zadina
- Top 10 picks are Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Boqvist, Tkachuk, Hughes, Walhstrom, Bouchard, Dobson, Veleno.
- Kotkaniemi and Smith are available at 11
- Islanders call and offer 11th & 12th for Zadina and our 57th (or 66th).

Would you be OK with trading Zadina and late 2nd or 3rd for Kotkaniemi and Smith?

OB5

May 2, 2015
Absolutely not.

The whole point of being in the upper echelon in the draft if to walk away with the type of player that Zadina is. I'd rather one great player over two good ones.

Reactions: BobbyShehan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad