HF Habs: Montreal Canadiens Draft (#3, #35, #38, #56, #62, #66, #97, #102, #122 & #128)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
you would put a 2nd rounder on a goalie ?

Yes. I really like Rodrique a lot. When he is age 22/23, Price is in year 5/6 of his 8 year deal. Rodrique can be Price's replacement or can be used in a trade if a team is high on him as he continues to put up solid numbers and play for team Canada. Lindgren will be gone by then IMO. Who knows about McNiven, Hawkey, Primeau. Lets say several show promise, they can all take turns to back-up Price in the next 8 years while we can possibly use them in trades if they show potential to be starter.

Rodrique upside towards the end of the 2nd is very high at that point. I would not draft him with one of our early 2nd's though.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
thinking of the future, it would be nice to possibly flip one of those 2nd rounders to next year. Time to start really building through the draft like Bergy promised!!

I've been saying for months we should diversify. In the Pleky trade, I would of asked for a 2019 2nd instead. Better to have a few 2nd's in two drafts vs all of them in one draft. Even with Patch, I would be OK with a 2019 1st and a conditional pick if he re-signs.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
You're bound to hit two out of the park with all those top 60 picks. If you don't smash at least two of those picks the scouting staff should be cut.

2003 New York Islanders: Dmitri Chernykh, Evengy Tunik, Jeremy Colliton
2006 Philadelphia Flyers: Andreas Nodl, Mike Ratchuk, Denis Bodrov
2010 Chicago Blackhawks: Kevin Hayes, Ludvid Rensfeldt, Justin Holl, Kent Simpson
2014 Montreal Canadiens: Jacob de La Rose, Zach Fucale, Artturi Lehkonen

New Jersey had a triple pick year in 2000 where they only got Paul Martin and a quad pick year in 1996 where they got Colin White and Pierre Daignais and two busts.

But if you go back to 1987, between picks #33 and #44 some team selected John Leclair, Eric Desjardins, and Mathieu Schneider. Wonder how that worked out.

Reactions: Chris Cutter

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Yes. I really like Rodrique a lot. When he is age 22/23, Price is in year 5/6 of his 8 year deal. Rodrique can be Price's replacement or can be used in a trade if a team is high on him as he continues to put up solid numbers and play for team Canada. Lindgren will be gone by then IMO. Who knows about McNiven, Hawkey, Primeau. Lets say several show promise, they can all take turns to back-up Price in the next 8 years while we can possibly use them in trades if they show potential to be starter.

Rodrique upside towards the end of the 2nd is very high at that point. I would not draft him with one of our early 2nd's though.

I like him to ! He was really a stud for Drummund this years but I'm a little concerned with his lack of side. with the 68 I would be ok with it but 2nd round I don't know..

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
I've been saying for months we should diversify. In the Pleky trade, I would of asked for a 2019 2nd instead. Better to have a few 2nd's in two drafts vs all of them in one draft. Even with Patch, I would be OK with a 2019 1st and a conditional pick if he re-signs.

yep, draft picks are major currency, it would be nice to start stockpiling for next year as well. Think I heard there are more high quality centre prospects available next year too.

It might be easier said then done but they should be targeting teams that don't have 2nd round picks this year, might squeeze out an extra asset

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
There's no goalie good enough to go in the second round anyways.

BO Groulx would be worth it in the second round.

Would be funny if the Habs soon just turn into the Halifax Mooseheads by drafting Zadina, trade a player to draft McIssac, Groulx, Lavoie next year...

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
A lot of 2nd round players fill out rosters in teams around the league. So hopefully we can keep them unless it makes us move up for some sure hits in the draft (not for old players as mentioned above).

Just rechecked 2nd rounds from 2010-11-12-13-14. Sorry but its a 10-1 bust-success ratio. Found 12 good nhlers out of 155 picks. 5 in 2009. 6 in 2008. 3 in 2007. Pretty consistent.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
The 2nd round could be what changes the future of the franchise.

Or like Chicago in 2010 it could mean nothing. They had four 2nd round picks. You don't know the name of any of them.

This suggests you better have a world class development philosophy. That is right! Philosophy!

Can someone please tell me what my favorite all time team's development philosophy is? This is not a trick question or trolling.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Just rechecked 2nd rounds from 2010-11-12-13-14. Sorry but its a 10-1 bust-success ratio. Found 12 good nhlers out of 155 picks. 5 in 2009. 6 in 2008. 3 in 2007. Pretty consistent.

Here's an article from last year showing draft pick success rate:

https://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-nhl-draft-pick-value-1.786131

From 1990-2013 the chances of drafting a top 6 forward/top 4 defenceman/number 1 goalie in the 2nd round was not much higher than 10%. We will be very lucky to get one good player out of the four 2nds. Third liners or third pairing D would also be good picks though.

Scanning random draft years in hockeydb you typically find 3-4 good NHLers in the 2nd round. It's up to the scouts to find these guys. Timmins needs to get it done this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrNasty and MSSLYNX

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
This suggests you better have a world class development philosophy. That is right! Philosophy!

Can someone please tell me what my favorite all time team's development philosophy is? This is not a trick question or trolling.

Timmins/Churla like to draft defencemen over any other position and will skip a player if they feel their position is filled. They do however listen to all of their scouts and have been opening up to drafting in the OHL more than in the past. They never draft under six feet tall in the first round, will favour players with accelerated defensive skill, and look for diamonds in the rough after the third round. Every pick counts for them, including their seventh round picks, with three of their last four seventh round picks having NHL potential.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
#3: Adam Boqvist
#35: Rasmus Sandin
#38: Bulat Shafigullin
#56: Cameron Hillis
#58: Jay O’Brien
#66: Daniil Zhuravlyov
#97: Linus Nyman
#102: Ty Emberson
#123: Niklas Nordgren
#128: Semyon Der-Arguchintsev

Reactions: ProspectsSTC

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
#3: Filip Zadina
#38: Jake Wise
#56: Nicolas Beaudin
#58: Jack Drury
#66: Gabriel Fortier
#97: Joey Keane
#102: Anderson MacDonald
#123: Yegor Sokolov
#128: Mathias Laferrière

:D

I've been reading good things about Wise that could make him a very good pick in the 2nd.

I'm also curious about Sandin. Basically saw a highlight package and a couple reports. Sounds good.

#3: Adam Boqvist
#38: Bulat Shafigullin
#56: Cameron Hillis
#58: Jay O’Brien
#66: Daniil Zhuravlyov
#97: Linus Nyman
#102: Ty Emberson
#123: Niklas Nordgren
#128: Semyon Der-Arguchintsev

O'Brien is another one people are saying could be a sleeper. Would also be a nice pick.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
2010 Chicago Blackhawks: Kevin Hayes, Ludvid Rensfeldt, Justin Holl, Kent Simpson

New Jersey had a triple pick year in 2000 where they only got Paul Martin and a quad pick year in 1996 where they got Colin White and Pierre Daignais and two busts.

But if you go back to 1987, between picks #33 and #44 some team selected John Leclair, Eric Desjardins, and Mathieu Schneider. Wonder how that worked out.

The talent is always there at those picks. Our scouting staff is good at picking players who will make the NHL but not make a huge impact. And that's what I fear with all those top 60 picks, we will cop out and choose the sure fire third or fourth line players. Your example of the year we drafted (by the way it was 2013 not 2014) De La Rose, Lehkonen - Both in the NHL in bottom six roles.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The talent is always there at those picks. Our scouting staff is good at picking players who will make the NHL but not make a huge impact. And that's what I fear with all those top 60 picks, we will cop out and choose the sure fire third or fourth line players. Your example of the year we drafted (by the way it was 2013 not 2014) De La Rose, Lehkonen - Both in the NHL in bottom six roles.

Lehkonen isn't in a bottom-6 role. He's a Top-9, meaning he can be anywhere from the top line to the 3rd line.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
would be so pissed if they picked a goalie at all. They are knee deep in goalie prospects, they don't have good trade value and there are several quality undrafted FA goalies that I would look at before wasting a pick when we have so many holes to fill from all positions not named goalie.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
This might be a long shot but I like the team to pickup another first round pick to select Joel Farabee. I think he’s not NHL ready yet but 1-2 years in the A’s will help. He’s a lot like Jake deBrusk. A player who can fit in top 9.

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal

You know he had over 3 PPG in the Federal Hockey League right? Legend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad