HF Habs: Montreal Canadiens Draft (#3, #35, #38, #56, #62, #66, #97, #102, #122 & #128)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
1st Svechnikov/Zadina
2nd Sandin/O’Brien/Beaudin/Wise/Kaut/Bokk
3rd Lundqvist/Ylonen
4th Groulx/Merkley/Mcbain

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
#3: Adam Boqvist
#35: Rasmus Sandin
#38: Bulat Shafigullin
#56: Cameron Hillis
#58: Jay O’Brien
#66: Daniil Zhuravlyov
#97: Linus Nyman
#102: Ty Emberson
#123: Niklas Nordgren
#128: Semyon Der-Arguchintsev
I'll eat a hat if Semyon makes it that far. The rest are realistic.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
would be so pissed if they picked a goalie at all. They are knee deep in goalie prospects, they don't have good trade value and there are several quality undrafted FA goalies that I would look at before wasting a pick when we have so many holes to fill from all positions not named goalie.

Fucale is a fringe prospect. McNiven is on the smaller side. Primeau has showed promise and Hawkey is still a question mark.

While we are knee deep there aren't a lot of good ones.

With that said Ufas is one area to look. Goalies also don't seem to have much value when they're traded. Keyword is when, though. Rarely do you see a high-end goalie dealt. Way more often than not it's a promising back up.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
He's going to clear waivers anyway. Might as well take advantage of what iota of value remains.

I think more value to us.

Ghetto, Hudon and plenty others clear waivers no?

6th is a little low. McCarron is as good a project(better) than a 6th rounder anyway.

I think he'll bust but meh, might as well ride it out.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Here's an article from last year showing draft pick success rate:

https://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-nhl-draft-pick-value-1.786131

From 1990-2013 the chances of drafting a top 6 forward/top 4 defenceman/number 1 goalie in the 2nd round was not much higher than 10%. We will be very lucky to get one good player out of the four 2nds. Third liners or third pairing D would also be good picks though.

Scanning random draft years in hockeydb you typically find 3-4 good NHLers in the 2nd round. It's up to the scouts to find these guys. Timmins needs to get it done this year.

Yeah, my research was that you can get about 10 NHL players in the 2nd , of whom 3 turn into top 6 forwards / top 4 D.

So we have a 40 -50 % chance of one of our 2nds being a top end player. TT is due, to come through. Go with the talent.

EDIT: Will say though that in deep drafts as many as 8 top end guys have come out of the 2nd that I have seen and if that is this kind of draft we should get one top end guy just on statistics, let alone if TT actually adds value.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I like him to ! He was really a stud for Drummund this years but I'm a little concerned with his lack of side. with the 68 I would be ok with it but 2nd round I don't know..

He reminds me of Quick and he has the same height. Hard to say where he gets drafted but I think he goes late in the 2nd round. Not sure he reaches the 66 pick. I'm sure Ducharme will help us out with scouting on him and would support the idea of drafting him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
All teams start with 7 picks, one in each round. Habs are heading into this with 9 picks, and all in the first 5 rounds, with 6 of those 9 picks in the first 3 rounds and 7 of those 9 in the Top-100. That is real good.

It's rare! We will walk away with a significant haul. But we need to be doing our homework. It's going to be a busy draft. Starting at the 35th pick, we pick on average every 10 picks until the 128 pick! With trade negotiations (Patch, moving down) and other teams drafting some of our targets before us, we need to be prepared.

Will be interesting to see who we pick with the 3rd, 3-4th's and that 5th as well. This is where scouts earn their money

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Fucale is a fringe prospect. McNiven is on the smaller side. Primeau has showed promise and Hawkey is still a question mark.

While we are knee deep there aren't a lot of good ones.

With that said Ufas is one area to look. Goalies also don't seem to have much value when they're traded. Keyword is when, though. Rarely do you see a high-end goalie dealt. Way more often than not it's a promising back up.

Hawkeye and McNiven had bumps this year but before that were looking good. Could be that they are showing they just are not that good, or just could have been a bump. Primeau had an amazing year. I think next year will give us a better idea.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
would be so pissed if they picked a goalie at all. They are knee deep in goalie prospects

quantity does not equal quality

i can't see any of our prospects being a #1 starter in the NHL

after Price the only hope is Lindgren, and even he is a big IF right now, but then again so is Price

sholi2000

No One Gets Left Behind
May 26, 2013
Brandon, MB
www.sholi2000.com
It's not like Bergevin was part of Hawks scouting in 2010, we're good.

Outside the top impact players of the 2010 draft, the entire draft was weak. Hawks' picks had nothing to do with scouting and all to do with what was available. The 2nd-7th round is a check em off the list pick, otherwise players like Toffoli, Zucker and Stone would have been drafted in the top ten. Same with this draft (2018) and last season.

I'm excited for Mtl's first pick, and hoping for a trade to get another pick within the top 15. After that it's tough sledding all the way.

sholi2000

No One Gets Left Behind
May 26, 2013
Brandon, MB
www.sholi2000.com
It's not like Bergevin was part of Hawks scouting in 2010, we're good.

Outside the top impact players of the 2010 draft, the entire draft was weak. Hawks' picks had nothing to do with scouting and all to do with what was available. The 2nd-7th round is a check em off the list pick, otherwise players like Toffoli, Zucker and Stone would have been drafted in the top ten. Same with this draft (2018) and last season.

I'm excited for Mtl's first pick, and hoping for a trade to get another pick within the top 15. After that it's tough sledding all the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad