HF Habs: Montreal Canadiens Draft (#3, #35, #38, #56, #62, #66, #97, #102, #122 & #128)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The Habs 3rd Overall thread is pretty packed. I thought I could start a new one that includes all of their selections. If mods feel this is similar to the NHL Entry Draft sticky thread, by all means, merge and/or delete this one. But I figured that one is a little more NHL general and this could be for the Habs specifically.

We all know this is a big draft for the Habs. Moving up a spot in the lottery from 4th to 3rd might have seemed a bit of a let down at the time (considering how far the Canes moved up). But I think we can all agree that we'd much rather be the Habs, who moved up a spot, then to be the Sens, Yotes, Canucks, and Wings, who all moved back a spot or two spots.

So here are the spots the Habs are selecting in. Some are still not etched in stone because some of them depend on some teams' playoff performances to determine where the Habs will select.

ROUND 1
#3 -
Habs moved up a spot in the lottery.

ROUND 2
#35 -
Habs' original 2nd R'd pick
#38 - Hawk's 2nd R'd pick (from the 2016 trade of Weise + Fleischmann for Danault + this pick)
#56 - Leafs' 2nd R'd pick (from the trade of Plekanec (50% retained) + Baun for this pick + Rychel + Valiev)
#62 - Caps' 2nd R'd pick (from the trade of Eller for '17 2nd R'd pick (Ikonen) + this pick) (this was also the conditional pick in the Sergachev/Drouin trade that returned to Habs when Sergachev played 40 games)

ROUND 3
#66 -
Habs' original 3rd R'd pick

ROUND 4
#97 -
Habs' original 4th R'd pick (it was traded away to LA for King and then was a conditional pick in the Mitchell to LA trade. The condition was met when LA qualified for the playoffs, so the pick returned to Habs)
#102 - Oilers's 4th R'd pick (conditional pick for the Montoya to EDM trade. The condition was met when Montoya played 7 regular season games of 30+ minutes)
#122 - Jets' 4th R'd pick (from the trade for Morrow for this pick)

ROUND 5
#128 -
Habs' original 5th R'd pick

ROUND 6
Habs don't have a pick in this round (they traded it to Detroit for Steve Ott last year - it is pick #159)

ROUND 7
Habs don't have a pick in this round (they traded it to Philadelphia for their '17 7th R'd pick (Primeau) - it is pick #190​

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The 2nd round could be what changes the future of the franchise.

Or like Chicago in 2010 it could mean nothing. They had four 2nd round picks. You don't know the name of any of them.

Good example. Not to mention, there was a certain Marc Bergevin part of that Chicago hockey ops for that draft.

However, I do trust Timmins. Maybe I'm in the minority here. But I do think he's done a good job when he has picks to use.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I've done my fair share of crapping on MB and will do so again but that Weise + Fleischmann for Danault + the 38th pick this year was a very good move by him so I'll give him credit for that move.

Two expiring contracts for a player (who may have been miscast in a bigger role than he should, but is still a key member of the roster) plus a 2nd round pick. Have to also thank the lucky stars that Hawks are going south, which in turn made this pick a high 2nd round pick.

Looking back, if they traded for a 2017 2nd round pick, it would have been pick #57. But here we are, Habs have pick #38 instead.

Reactions: Redux91 and sheed36

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
4 2nd rounders is ****ing glorious.

Unless we ****ing trade 2 of them for an Andrew Shaw type player.

Seriously, keep them. Swing for the fences and hopefully at least 2 of the players will work out.

Obviously a HUGE draft for this franchise.

2nd round can yield so much depth to a team, when drafting and developed right. Those 4 2nd rounders are gold.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I've done my fair share of crapping on MB and will do so again but that Weise + Fleischmann for Danault + the 38th pick this year was a very good move by him so I'll give him credit for that move.

He's made some good trades and some good signings. Not everything is awful. But too much of what he has done that's good is a drop in the ocean compared to the moves he either neglected to make, or poorly made.

even a blind monkey finds a banana every once in awhile....its just luck and percentages

Eh, I'd agree on that when it comes to maybe the draft but trades are very much chess. You're not gonna luck out on a win against a superior or comparable opponent. It's why I still give respect to Brian Burke for a lot of the great trades he's made in his career, while still recognizing his lack of pro scouting goaltenders and some of his other boneheaded moves.

Curtoph

Jan 22, 2018
A lot of 2nd round players fill out rosters in teams around the league. So hopefully we can keep them unless it makes us move up for some sure hits in the draft (not for old players as mentioned above).

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
If we draft Zadina at 3 we can concentrate on some of the more interesting 2nd round picks by drafting D men and centers, which appears to be the case this year as there seems to be a strong contingent of dmen and centers in and around the top of the 2nd round.

Would be nice to see a lot of habs prospects on various national junior teams in the future. Tired of seeing guys like Taylor Raddysh play significant roles in the WJ tournament (where most of us mortals can actually see them play) who are drafted by a team like Tampa at #58.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
You're bound to hit two out of the park with all those top 60 picks. If you don't smash at least two of those picks the scouting staff should be cut.

Reactions: CapSpace

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
even a blind monkey finds a banana every once in awhile....its just luck and percentages

Yeah but we can still pat him on the back for the few good moves he does pull off and this turned out to be one of these very good moves. Still can't wait for him to be sent packing though. :)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
03: Filip Zadina
35: Jonny Tychonick
38: Jake Wise
56: Mattias Samuelsson
58: Olivier Rodrigue
66: Gabriel Fortier

97, 102, 123, 128: No idea

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Two expiring contracts for a player (who may have been miscast in a bigger role than he should, but is still a key member of the roster) plus a 2nd round pick. Have to also thank the lucky stars that Hawks are going south, which in turn made this pick a high 2nd round pick.

Looking back, if they traded for a 2017 2nd round pick, it would have been pick #57. But here we are, Habs have pick #38 instead.

and alote of persons where mad at Bergevin because he took this years 2nd round and not the 2017 one

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
thinking of the future, it would be nice to possibly flip one of those 2nd rounders to next year. Time to start really building through the draft like Bergy promised!!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I really hope we don't **** up our 2nds. Probably the most important part of the draft for us.

We have a 13% shot (4/31) at hitting on that yearly 5% (+/-) probability there is a impact player in the 2nd round. Lets hope the hype is real and it's a deep draft all the way into the 2nd! I think the 5 picks from 66-128 are important too. This is where good scouts can take advantage. Habs need to be doing their homework and we will be buys on draft day with many moving parts that we may or may not predict.

Our own rankings of each player is very important... especially from the 35-128 range. Drafting best available don't exist. We need to draft the players with offensive upside. We already have too many grade B "safe" prospects. It's time to shoot for players with high ceiling potential.

Reactions: Ethan Wiles
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->