HF Habs: Montreal Canadiens Draft (#3, #35, #38, #56, #62, #66, #97, #102, #122 & #128)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I like the no Tkachuk hate, good for you bud

he's not who i want, but im not gonna trash the guy, there's a good chance he becomes a solid player as well, no doubt, but , i want something different, for me its Kotka or Zadina all the way, ill be ecstatic with either

Yep. Tkachuk is a top 10 player. I'm not about to kvetch about drafting him. But you can only pick one player, and Brady isn't my choice.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Sometimes when you’re doing your marketing plan some ideas sound nicer on paper and you put it together and feel meh about it, but you just throw it up anyway cause it’s done lol
Not sure who thought that was nice on paper...
It's such a low level idea.
Habs are so lucky to have monopoly on hockey in Qc. They are such a poorly run organization at pretty much all levels.

Reactions: Deluded Puck

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
A little far fetched. But I can see Poehling sign with Habs after his NCAA season finishes and going to Laval/make Habs out of camp. Kotkaniemi, for me, one year in Liiga, come to either Laval/make Habs out of camp.

I would think both would be in the NHL by 2020 the latest.

In the year 2525
If man is still alive.
if woman can survive
they may find

I surprised myself by knowing the first 4 lines of drivel from this song:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I think this is it guys, the end of our center woes haha.
Are you familiar with the expression don't count your chicks before they're hatched.

Dateline October 30, 2019.

Habs management announce that Poehling and Kotkaniemi have both retired from hockey. "We fell in love and realized that we wanted to spend our lives together without the grind of pro sports. We plan on having children and hockey is not the kind of life that is conducive to child rearing." Said the love struck Finn. When queried about his top center prospects leaving hockey, the dumbfounded Bergevin cryptically piped in with, "The heart wants what the head doesn't know." When asked to elaborate, MB replied with, " When you're offered Ryan Poehling you don't ask for more."

Reactions: FLHabs

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Both are a year away & neither will be the worst for it.

If we draft Kotkaniemi, then we begin the 2019-2020 NHL season with Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Danault & de la Rose at center. That's a seriously improved center core.

Hoping we tank one more year, because starting 2020 season with Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Kakko upfront would be sick. With Drouin, Gallagher, Domi as offensive depth players behind them we may actually ice a team that can score.

The potential is there for a talented new core to rise out of these ashes, but the next 2 drafts are pretty imperative for that to happen.

Kotkaniemi is 17 now and has never played in North America. Asking him to come next next and play center in the best league in the world at 18 is a LOT to ask for. I’d rather see him come to Laval for half the season or more to see how he does and bring him along slowly. If he lights it up like Gally did then call him up and see how he does. But to guarantee him a spot at center at 18 sounds likens mistake to me.

Poehling has another year at St. McLeod’s then I’d do the same as i said for Kotkaniemi.

If he can come up quicker great but what’s the hurry? Especially if we go out and land a center or two this offseason. Let the kids develop and dominate at their levels before throwing them into the hardest position at the highest level. I want cocky confident kids ready to take on the world.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Time for Bergevin to trade 3rd overall for Ryan Callahan. He will then proceed to tell us that he has good attitude, and his game isn't about scoring goals. He will refer to his junior production and claim that he still isn't done. For any questions, he will simply tell us to watch YouTube and call us idiots since we know absolutely nothing about hockey in his mind
Well, he would definitely be correct about that. But what about hockey in the NHL?

Last edited:

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I feel like Owen Wilson from Armageddon heading into the next 48 hrs

I got that excited/scared feeling, like 98% excited, 2% scared
Or maybe it could be 98% scared, 2% excited

Reactions: Redux91

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
What a sad excuse of a marketing PR video.
So ****ing lame.

Hey...how about we just take a small video of you guys in a room for 10sec?
Genius idea!
You forgot the bit about Timmins smiling like he just cut the cheese and Bergevin glaring like he just smelled it.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Kotkaniemi is 17 now and has never played in North America. Asking him to come next next and play center in the best league in the world at 18 is a LOT to ask for. I’d rather see him come to Laval for half the season or more to see how he does and bring him along slowly. If he lights it up like Gally did then call him up and see how he does. But to guarantee him a spot at center at 18 sounds likens mistake to me.

Poehling has another year at St. McLeod’s then I’d do the same as i said for Kotkaniemi.

If he can come up quicker great but what’s the hurry? Especially if we go out and land a center or two this offseason. Let the kids develop and dominate at their levels before throwing them into the hardest position at the highest level. I want cocky confident kids ready to take on the world.

I didn't say 18 for Kotkaniemi. I said a year away, which is 19. I don't expect him to play this year.

Poehling has already had dominate weekends over this past season while playing NCAA. He'll be 20 soon to be 21 going into the 2020 season. That's not too young to be in the NHL.

Poehling will get his Laval time at the end of this season - hopefully.

Both Poehling and Kotkaniemi already play in Men's leagues. They're not in junior leagues. There's 2 off-seasons for each to make necessary physical improvements.

I don't see any reason to put them in Laval if they don't need it. If Kotkaniemi needs some time down there then sure, but putting him in the AHL because he needs to learn NA game is not a good reason to do that. European and NA styles aren't that different any more. Just ice size is.

Now, do I expect them both to step into the line-up and get 60+ pts, right away. It'd be sweet, but no I'm not expecting that. But they won't be worse than Domi either. They'll find ways to contribute.

When they do arrive, if we take Kotkaniemi, then our center position will at least have size.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It used to be that teams would be jockeying to move up in the draft with actual assets.

Instead of that, they're all lining up to see who can take advantage of Bergevin as the weakest link in the chain.

Example: What should the Rangers do? Why ...

Unless general manager Jeff Gorton can work out an equitable deal with straw-grasping Canadiens counterpart Marc Bergevin to move up to third overall ...

https://nypost.com/2018/06/20/rangers-pursuing-deals-as-nhl-draft-nears/

Sure, the writer talks about pursuing an "equitable deal", however the desperation that is attached to Bergevin's name evokes that he can be had and that he's not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Checked out the Sabres's forum and several posters were alluding to how Bergevin could be fleeced in a ROR trade.

The Secret Plan: try to prevail on other teams with the built-in disadvantage of working with an extremely flawed management team. The greater the challenge, the greater the ultimate victory. :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: WeThreeKings

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Jeeze, calm down. It's only a 37sec clip. Nothing wrong with that for the common fan.

Yeah seriously, and they needed to find a job for Marc's second cousin from Tadoussac who just completed him marketing course in adult ed.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I didn't say 18 for Kotkaniemi. I said a year away, which is 19. I don't expect him to play this year.

Poehling has already had dominate weekends over this past season while playing NCAA. He'll be 20 soon to be 21 going into the 2020 season. That's not too young to be in the NHL.

Poehling will get his Laval time at the end of this season - hopefully.

Both Poehling and Kotkaniemi already play in Men's leagues. They're not in junior leagues. There's 2 off-seasons for each to make necessary physical improvements.

I don't see any reason to put them in Laval if they don't need it. If Kotkaniemi needs some time down there then sure, but putting him in the AHL because he needs to learn NA game is not a good reason to do that. European and NA styles aren't that different any more. Just ice size is.

Now, do I expect them both to step into the line-up and get 60+ pts, right away. It'd be sweet, but no I'm not expecting that. But they won't be worse than Domi either. They'll find ways to contribute.

When they do arrive, if we take Kotkaniemi, then our center position will at least have size.

He'd be a very early 19 but that's besides the point.

if they're both playing in mens leagues this year, I'd still think they'd be better served playing in Laval to start the 2019 season and you take it from there. In both cases, you have young centers who are getting better and better progressing and gaining confidence. If Sly was still in Laval, I'd be the first to suggest bypassing it all together. But with Bouchard there as an excellent developmental coach, I'd be happy to see them dip their toes (Kota in particular as he's younger and never played in NA) and have some time to adjust and develop under Bouchard's tutelage. If all goes well and they dominate than by all means send them up. But to put them in the NHL at that age in those circumstances is far from ideal and unnecessary for their progression IMO. Maybe they both don't need it but I'd be really surprised. I would like to se them get some games in here and there so they know what to expect when they really come online in 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad