HF Habs: Montreal Canadiens Draft (#3, #35, #38, #56, #62, #66, #97, #102, #122 & #128)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I keep thinking about how if people are still skeptical on the whole "C or W" thing with Kotka as if the fact he plays a bit on the wing is a red flag that he cant play center...

Evgeny Malkin plays wing ALL THE TIME, doesnt mean he is not still a great center when used there, its just about using good players in key spots in the line up sometimes and if it means temporarily playing wing for a shift or a game, it does not mean the guy is not a center

now after having said all that, i fully and completely understand we just BOTCHED a 6 YEAR experiment in Galchenyuk.. so the confidence isnt exactly high in player development right now... nor should it.

Kotkaniemi is just a lightning rod for skepticism currently. Everyone else is getting off scott-free. Bouchard, for example, exhibits a worrying misunderstanding of his position for a 3rd year OHL veteran of 153 games before the season even began, but the only criticism you'll ever hear about him is ''skating.'' It's neither accurate (his skating is just fine), nor does it address the real issue that he has as a prospect: which is soft as a marshallow, bewildering defensive play.

This is sort of the thing that I don't like about Canadian prospects, specifically late birthdays. You just don't get to see them against a wide range of competition. Canada doesn't play in the friendly tournaments, and even if you're eligible for the U18s you may be unable to play due to the CHL playoffs, we don't have a separate pro-league, and we don't play against college teams. If you're a late birthday, league play is the whole story, and any issues that, say, a stint in a pro-league might expose, go unnoticed until it's too late.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redux91

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
More TT BS and lies. These kids are so heavily tested an monitored the last 3 years, TT discovered nothing of the sort. He stretches the truth, calls a hangnail a future bone illness, a wart a serious skin condition, etc. Was he wearing his little lift shoes when talking?

It happens at the combine a lot. So? It just happened this year with Kaut. I'm also very certain an NFL hopeful also had one discovered at the combine.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
It happens at the combine a lot. So? It just happened this year with Kaut. I'm also very certain an NFL hopeful also had one discovered at the combine.

I just like to poopoo on your tidbits when I can :)

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
They are trying to get a team to bite to trade up.

Ok?? Don’t see that working with GMs in the league. Besides the fact that’s incredibly simple minded thinking, I doubt they’re listening to Timmins in Montreal radio during draft week.

Thanks for framing it but still really dumb on his part.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Lalancette says that if he was to decode TT's press conference, his prediction would be that Kotkaniemi would be part of the Habs tomorrow.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think it's like 95% either Zadina or Kotkaniemi. I think if we can't make any deals it's Kotkaniemi... where as if we trade Pacioretty and acquire ROR then Zadina is the guy.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Ok?? Don’t see that working with GMs in the league. Besides the fact that’s incredibly simple minded thinking, I doubt they’re listening to Timmins in Montreal radio during draft week.

Thanks for framing it but still really dumb on his part.

It's not just Montreal radio, it's saying it in front of reporters and getting the word out there. It's all game playing. It doesn't mean people fall for it but it's about creating doubt. Just like the Senators took Kotkaniemi out for dinner and they announced it. they are trying to thwart the Habs from moving back and having someone jump them for the guy they want.

Reactions: Frank JT

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
It's not just Montreal radio, it's saying it in front of reporters and getting the word out there. It's all game playing. It doesn't mean people fall for it but it's about creating doubt. Just like the Senators took Kotkaniemi out for dinner and they announced it. they are trying to thwart the Habs from moving back and having someone jump them for the guy they want.

And I quote “it would be some world class misdirection.”

Hardly...

NHL

Sep 1, 2014
I wonder if the habs could go with Zadina and then try to trade for mid 1st round and land Veleno using Patch ++

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Kotkaniemi is just a lightning rod for skepticism currently. Everyone else is getting off scott-free. Bouchard, for example, exhibits a worrying misunderstanding of his position for a 3rd year OHL veteran of 153 games before the season even began, but the only criticism you'll ever hear about him is ''skating.'' It's neither accurate (his skating is just fine), nor does it address the real issue that he has as a prospect: which is soft as a marshallow, bewildering defensive play.

This is sort of the thing that I don't like about Canadian prospects, specifically late birthdays. You just don't get to see them against a wide range of competition. Canada doesn't play in the friendly tournaments, and even if you're eligible for the U18s you may be unable to play due to the CHL playoffs, we don't have a separate pro-league, and we don't play against college teams. If you're a late birthday, league play is the whole story, and any issues that, say, a stint in a pro-league might expose, go unnoticed until it's too late.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I wonder if the habs could go with Zadina and then try to trade for mid 1st round and land Veleno using Patch ++

Veleno is really bad. so I hope not. Timmins was asked about Veleno and subtext tells me that he wasn't impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->