Monthly News Thread (May 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Yeah, if they start doing Becky/Seth storylines I'm officially out.

Of course, there's a history. Right around the last time I checked out of WWE after being heavily invested in someone's story.

WWE was very....open about it once Seth and Becky went public. More than you would think necessary. Had an article on their site saying they were dating etc.

After that I would be shocked if they DIDN'T work their relationship into storyline.

I was hoping it would just lead to MMC of something...but...

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'm sorry, but I don't get the CM Punk allure.

That’s fair.

But you can at least see the fact that 80% or more of Wrestling fans would like to see him in the Ring again, and if AEW is the place he returns, that is massive for them as a company.

You don’t need to like him as a human, or even as a wrestler, to understand he’d be the single top name AEW, or WWE could sign right now

Conrad McBenis

Bow Down
Jan 10, 2018
That’s fair.

But you can at least see the fact that 80% or more of Wrestling fans would like to see him in the Ring again, and if AEW is the place he returns, that is massive for them as a company.

You don’t need to like him as a human, or even as a wrestler, to understand he’d be the single top name AEW, or WWE could sign right now

No doubt. Just a personal preference .

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
WWE was very....open about it once Seth and Becky went public. More than you would think necessary. Had an article on their site saying they were dating etc.

After that I would be shocked if they DIDN'T work their relationship into storyline.

I was hoping it would just lead to MMC of something...but...

I think they want click bait from the Total Diva type fan, and since Becky is adamant she won’t do that show this is the best they can get from her personal life. It’s odd to hype a relatively new relationship but I think they are desperate for any buzz they can create right now so the two top stars dating is it.

Reactions: Paris in Flames

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
The reddit source said Fandango is healthy but frustrated that he isn’t being used and is trying to seek clarification on whether Fandango straight up asked for his release or not.

He says while Fandango is low on the totem pole, Vince believes he gave him a high profile WM match, got Fandangoing over and likes his comedic ability, but also views him as injury prone as he got hurt right as they were going to put a midcard title on him.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The reddit source said Fandango is healthy but frustrated that he isn’t being used and is trying to seek clarification on whether Fandango straight up asked for his release or not.

He says while Fandango is low on the totem pole, Vince believes he gave him a high profile WM match, got Fandangoing over and likes his comedic ability, but also views him as injury prone as he got hurt right as they were going to put a midcard title on him.

Fandango and Breeze were at one point the most over tag team and they did nothing with them.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
AJ Styles isn't booked for live events until June 27th. He is scheduled for Super Showdown, and Stomping Grounds, but it's unknown if he will be working those events and tv tapings between now and the end of June, or if this is a scheduled break completely for AJ.

It was reported that he wanted his new deal to feature more time off, so it appears AJ may have gotten his wish.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
AJ Styles isn't booked for live events until June 27th. He is scheduled for Super Showdown, and Stomping Grounds, but it's unknown if he will be working those events and tv tapings between now and the end of June, or if this is a scheduled break completely for AJ.

It was reported that he wanted his new deal to feature more time off, so it appears AJ may have gotten his wish.
Of course he did. AEW would have given it to him.

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
Of course he did. AEW would have given it to him.
They definitely would, as they would poach any talent on the WWE roster, if possible. They've already done things just to spite WWE and have branded themselves as anti-WWE, instead of just being a fresh wrestling company. That attitude needs to change or they won't last.

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
Fandango was never as popular as the night after Mania, after he beat Jericho. The fans were crazy about him.....but I don't think Vince ever was.
I've heard in the past that Vince thought of the Fandango character himself...for years. Apparently it was a brain child he had brewing for quite some time. Funny how "ballroom dancer wrestler" supposedly took him years to think of.
Also I believe Jericho has said that Vince booked Fandango to beat him strictly because he wanted to hear the fans chant "bullshit".

He's not a well man.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
- Shawn Spears hasn't signed a deal with AEW yet, but says it felt like home.

- Joey Janela is okay after the scary table spot he took in the Battle Royale.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Ambrose ended up with AEW, that's huge for them. Got to think this could be the biggest competition to WWE since WCW's end in 2001. Only early yet but I think AEW's going to give the WWE a run for their money.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Ambrose ended up with AEW, that's huge for them. Got to think this could be the biggest competition to WWE since WCW's end in 2001. Only early yet but I think AEW's going to give the WWE a run for their money.

Let's cool that comment because we've been there before. Hardy after his insane run in 2009 went to TNA. It did nothing. What matters most is long term booking, storytelling, etc. Mox is a great pick up, but it's just a small piece to a much larger puzzle of actually competing.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Let's cool that comment because we've been there before. Hardy after his insane run in 2009 went to TNA. It did nothing. What matters most is long term booking, storytelling, etc. Mox is a great pick up, but it's just a small piece to a much larger puzzle of actually competing.

Mox is not a dope addict though. You can count on him. Hardy? I love him but he was very unreliable at that time.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Mox is not a dope addict though. You can count on him. Hardy? I love him but he was very unreliable at that time.

Am I the only one who feels Jeff Hardy was made out to be a bigger star than he actually was?

He certainly had a following, I just don't feel like it was a widespread one.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Am I the only one who feels Jeff Hardy was made out to be a bigger star than he actually was?

He certainly had a following, I just don't feel like it was a widespread one.

Can't be that guy who tried to change history. I was never ever a Hardy fan but he was one of the most over wrestlers in that time period.

Let's not try to change history. It is what it is.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I was taken aback, but when I was at this year's Royal Rumble, Jeff Hardy got one of the bigger pops out of anybody.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Can't be that guy who tried to change history. I was never ever a Hardy fan but he was one of the most over wrestlers in that time period.

Let's not try to change history. It is what it is.

I remember when he came back against Edge in 05 or 06 his reaction was pretty much dead. Granted, that was before his big run, but I just don't think he was that much bigger than a regular top 5 roster guy during any period. At best I'd say he was on par with Ambrose, and Ambrose was more reliable than Hardy ever has been.

Eventually everybody realized Hardy was never going to be trusted with a long term run.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
A clean Jeff Hardy in 2009 is either at, or closer to Cena’s level than anyone else ever was.

'11 Punk and '14 Bryan both shit on Hardy's '09 popularity, lol.

Matter of fact, Hardy benefitted a lot in '09 from going up against a natural nemesis, with Punk finally getting to play his Straight Edge role as a heel for the first time.

Last edited:

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
'11 Punk and '14 Bryan both **** on Hardy's '09 popularity, lol.

Matter of fact, Hardy benefitted a lot in '09 from going up against a natural nemesis, with Punk finally getting to play his Straight Edge role as a heel for the first time.
The numbers don't lie. I'll give you Bryan from a fan reaction perspective, but Jeff Hardy moved the needle more than anyone else in the Cena era.

Meltzer himself said he was more over and popular than CM Punk at any point in time. You couldn't look into the audience and NOT see Jeff Hardy arm bands or other various merchandise, more than Cena in some cases at that time period.

At one point, Jeff Hardy was selling more merchandise than John Cena. You can't look at that and say CM Punk or Daniel Bryan shit on Hardy's popularity when the dude was moving more merch than THE big merch draw of the last decade and a half.

Jeff Hardy had fans booing The Undertaker and Triple H in 2008 on Smackdown. When did The Undertaker ever get booed when he was a full-time talent?

Saying 2011 Punk or 2014 Bryan shit on Hardy's popularity is severely underrating how over, popular and how huge of a draw Jeff Hardy was at his peak. Bryan I get it, but the numbers were way more on Hardy's side.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Speaking of Jeff, the dude is STILL loved and it's like he never left. The dude lives up to his nickname in spades. He's not a great wrestler at all, and his promos were never really great, but people f***ing loved him. They loved him in the early 2000s with the Hardyz, they loved him when he split off and had his massive problems but was still getting to work with The Undertaker, they loved him when he came back, his popularity was through the roof in 2008-2009 and he was out-selling John Cena in merchandise, and he was easily the most popular guy in TNA when he went back no matter how many times TNA were putting him with puzzling booking -- and while he also still had his own problems, unfortunately.

He's still so popular that he easily could have been slid into the WWE title picture at some point in this run, or even when he comes back, and not be out of place. The people still love the dude and is still one of the most popular guys. The reaction when his music hits is consistently great.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad