Monthly News Thread (May 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
This Saudi thing is crap. I know it makes them money but when you have all this talent not going and women not able to go you know there's an issue.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yeah, it’s pretty f’d up the company would agree to do shows where half their company can’t or won’t go.

I get the WWE says their end goal is to have females wrestle there, but there is 0 evidence that will ever happen.

The Saudi Kingdom is not progressive. There’s no indication they would welcome the female wrestlers.

Reactions: ColePens

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
The marketing of "equal to or greater than Wrestle mania" might be the most messed up part of the Saudi thing

Wwe is saying an event where NO women will compete is greater than their marquee show with both genders (which coincidentally women main evented this year).

I was watching nxt UK last night and the commercial came on and I did a double take when I heard that line.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
The marketing of "equal to or greater than Wrestle mania" might be the most messed up part of the Saudi thing

Wwe is saying an event where NO women will compete is greater than their marquee show with both genders (which coincidentally women main evented this year).

Probably just another carrot dangled in front of Vince, to try and market this gong show as a bigger deal than it truly is. As stated, and as we all know, there's no depth he won't stoop to, to make a quick buck.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
- Daniel Bryan isn't going to Saudi Arabia for the same reason he didn't go to Crown Jewel, although it's said that he even made the decision not to return after the first show, before the Jamal Khashoggi murder.

- Meltzer didn't elaborate, but said all the ideas speculated on why Kevin Owens didn't go are correct. His family asked him not to go, as mentioned earlier, and he's best friends with Sami Zayn, who's not allowed to go due to his Syrian descent. WWE asked no questions and didn't pressure him to change his mind when he told them he wasn't going.

- PAC was expected to work Fyter Fest, which would lead into PAC vs. Kenny Omega, but PAC is not going to work any AEW shows for the foreseeable future.

- AEW doesn't want anyone beating Page unless it's to set up a program with Omega, Jericho or Cody, and they want to make Page a big star. AEW believes that the changes made since PAC pulled out is better than what was originally planned.

- The feeling is that PAC will not be back in AEW until he drops the title because AEW doesn't want someone who won't lose. They're not against booking win streaks, but PAC isn't that guy for them. There's also no heat on anyone, and no one considers PAC "unprofessional" and they all want to work with him, it was just looked at as an unfortunate scenario that couldn't work out at this moment.

- AEW plans on having a drug testing program for their full-time talent.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Didn't know that about Zayn.....the Saudis legit said "we don't want him showing up", because of his Syrian lineage?

That country is beyond Pejorative Slured. :help: :laugh:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The first clue after the first show, other than no women being allowed, was what happened with Ariya Daivari after the first show where he was getting death threats and was in fear for his life and was releasing statements, etc. They were tone deaf to the politics beyond the payday they were getting.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
The first clue after the first show, other than no women being allowed, was what happened with Ariya Daivari after the first show where he was getting death threats and was in fear for his life and was releasing statements, etc. They were tone deaf to the politics beyond the payday they were getting.

Were?

Clearly Vince still is. All he sees is dollar signs, to hell with everything else. Like, say, the well-being of his "staff".

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This Monday's Smackdown house show has been re-scheduled again.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
The Ashley Massaro story just gets worse. This should be a bigger story, far beyond WWE. Unfortunately it's tough to make heads or tails of it when the victim is dead and her credibility has been successfully shot.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I have this feeling Brock is cashing in at the Saudi show.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Fro

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The Ashley Massaro story just gets worse. This should be a bigger story, far beyond WWE. Unfortunately it's tough to make heads or tails of it when the victim is dead and her credibility has been successfully shot.

Has more stuff come out other than her claim?

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Has more stuff come out other than her claim?
WWE put out a statement:
"WWE is saddened by the death of Ashley Massaro, and we reiterate our condolences to her family. However, we regret that her attorney Konstantine Kyros, who filed multiple cases against WWE, lost all of them, and was sanctioned multiple times by the Court for repeated misconduct and false allegations, is using Ashley’s death to further his malicious campaign against WWE by releasing an affidavit that she submitted to the Court and later apologized to WWE for being involved with, so we wish to make certain things crystal clear.

At no time was Vince McMahon or the management of WWE ever informed by Ashley Massaro or anybody else that she had been sexually assaulted, drugged, raped or sodomized by a military doctor with a nurse standing guard while on a goodwill tour in 2007 to U.S. military bases in Kuwait. In fact, if she ever articulated such a claim to WWE, we would have reported it immediately to the Base Commander.

At no time was there ever a meeting with Vince McMahon, Kevin Dunn, John Laurinaitis or other company executives in which she told them of such a claim and was instructed to keep it quiet."

Also, the other wrestlers on the tour, who she claimed she told, do not remember anything like that.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
WWE put out a statement:

Also, the other wrestlers on the tour, who she claimed she told, do not remember anything like that.

I see. I don't put much stock in WWE's statement but it's something if no one else corroborates what she said, at the very least if they are not involved with WWE anymore.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Lord. Imagine the WWE putting the a title back on Brock. It's going to happen sooner rather than later...but lord.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I expect it for Fox, but Saudi Arabia has a Kofi match already and not a Seth match. Seth is in a program with no one. It’s not hard to see what the match is going to be.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I see. I don't put much stock in WWE's statement but it's something if no one else corroborates what she said, at the very least if they are not involved with WWE anymore.

Well, Gary Hart is dead, I didn’t even know he was an agent at that time to be honest.

But listen if this was happening at a military facility that’s a big deal.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I expect it for Fox, but Saudi Arabia has a Kofi match already and not a Seth match. Seth is in a program with no one. It’s not hard to see what the match is going to be.

This is when Seth should take a stance and refuse to go :sarcasm:

"We want you to work with Bro-"

"UHHHH I THINK THIS IS ALL IMMORAL AND AWFUL IM STAYING HOME...sucker"

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Well, Gary Hart is dead, I didn’t even know he was an agent at that time to be honest.

But listen if this was happening at a military facility that’s a big deal.
It was Jimmy Hart on the tour. He kept a blog for it, and it apparently contradicts the the letter. Ron Simmons and Maria were the other two there, and Maria isn't one to toe the company line for sure, especially not for a friend.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Cody revealed a lot of info

- Weekly show will be two hours and live
- Double or Nothing will likely be Dustin’s last match
- World Title may be revealed at DoN. Apparently it’s the best looking World Title
- Hangman will wrestle at DoN, but what he will be doing is unknown

- they already have a good idea of what the next 6 to 12 months will look like (!!!!!!!!!!)

- Cody said people misunderstood his tweet about faces/heels and AEW will still have faces and heels
- there won’t be intentional 50/50 booking
- there will be pyro

- Cody said he thinks what they have booked to happen will make Double or Nothing the best show ever. Tony Khan said similar in an interview as well. Seems to hint at a major surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad